They Really Should Make An Apple Backlit Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trevpimp, Apr 29, 2009.

1. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Who thinks otherwise?

I think they would sale like crazy if they did. It'll probably be expensive but Im sure it will sale a lot.

Don't you think?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Oh yeah, I didnt think of that.

Apple would probably price it like $179 or something like that.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Keep the layout of the little keyboard, make the keys black and backlit and put the multi-touch trackpad on the right hand side.

I would buy one in a heart beat.

5. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Now they would really price it high because of the trackpad :eek:

I really just want a backlit keyboard. Since most of the time while I am on the comp its dark.

6. aleni macrumors 68000

adding backlit to the keyboard would put a bit of thick into it. so the thing will look not as sexy as the current. but hell yeah, i will buy one if they make it.

7. TopGear300 macrumors regular

TopGear300

Sold

I would buy one in a heart beat. It can't be too expensive because there are some out there that are backlit and are no more then $60-80. Im talking the Logitech G11 and G15 here. I bought one and loved it but then it will never match the sleek design of apple's new keyboard.

Limitations: Apple can not make a backlit keyboard wireless because it will zap the batteries juice fast. I doubt there is much thickness involved because if they can squeeze one into the MBA then I don't see a problem :D

Come on :apple: Innovate ;)

8. aleni macrumors 68000

i don't think LED will drain much power from the battery. anyway, a glow in the dark alternative would be cool too.

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Waiting for the one with the integrated multitouch trackpad.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

If they price those beauties (would be..lol) reasonably I'd queue up outside a store overnight to get my hands on them!

I'd like them to be similar to the MB backlit keyboards.

11. Samslice12 macrumors member

If you mean a desktop keyboard. To me, I don't really see the point.

I mean, if you're at your desk you can probably control the amount of light that you are in. I guess they put back lit keyboards on laptops because they are portable and therefore you have less control of lighting conditions (eg. Planes, Cars).

I probably wouldn't spend the money on one. That's just me though.

12. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh i'd buy one to match my MBP's backlit KB. I sometimes work with no lights on. Just the multiple ACDs and often wish my KB had backlighting

13. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I'd like to see a keyboard with these features:

1) Backlit (preferably that really nice blue LED colour)

2) Full Keyboard layout, none of this laptop keyboard for a desktop crap

3) Bluetooth

4) Integrated Multi Touch that can be snapped onto either side of the keyboard (for lefties like me)

And if I was being totally unrealistic:

Custom keycaps available for popular media software. All those features with nice colour coded Pro Tools short cut keys would be great. I'm sure there's plenty of users of Final Cut, Logic, Photoshop etc... who'd agree with that idea too.

14. aleni macrumors 68000

hopefully soon apple will release a keyboard with black keys, just like the macbook family. the current white keys are easily get dirty which is suck.

15. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Not only that but it's laptop buttons. They should just do it like before. And even glow in the dark buttons are good.

16. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

First of all, I look at your name and can't help read it as "Sam's Lice."

Other than that—people that bring this point up seem to forget that while you may have control over your lighting at a desk, there are many times when darkness is preferable.
    I'm thinking specifically about those users that use Front Row or Plex on their minis and imacs. You're watching a movie, you take your keyboard to the bed to control your computer, and you turn the lights out.
    I /do/ agree that a backlight wired keyboard's usefullness would be pretty low, but if they could cram LEDs into the wireless, I'd be all over it.

17. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Turn on the light? :)

I can see why in laptops a backlit keyboard can be important, since you don't always have control over the environment you are in while using it. On a desktop, if its too dark, you are presumably in your own home, so turn on the light!

If there's people sleeping next to you, then probably they would be annoyed at the tapping sound of a keyboard anyway. And if they're tough sleepers, then they wouldn't notice the light anyway (even a little light would help).

For movie watching, the Apple remote has everything you need to control that task.

And they do have custom key caps (well mats you put on over the keys anyway, which you can type on, helps protect your keyboard while giving you the extra feature at the same time) you can slap on Apple keyboards for short cuts and such for the professional programs like Photoshop, Logic, Final Cut etc.

Edit: Here's a link to what I am talking about: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=150

18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

The monitor is bright enough on an iMac that you can see your keyboard in the dark.

19. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

I like the lights off. (watching movies, youtube, late at night) ;)

I have a computer desk, the keyboard would be under the computer.

20. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Your keyboard sits under your computer when in use?

My keyboard sits on a tray that slides out when in use. It sits lower than, but not under my iMac.

I never had any problem in the dark. The imac screen is pretty bright. I will make a deliberate note tonight of checking the ambient keyboard light tonight.

21. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Yes, Mine too has a slide but even if I pull it out I still cant see a thing.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

+1 i'm a lefty too but knowing apples track record i dont think anything would be detachable

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would like to see that as well. We can always hope.:D

24. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Has anyone seen a modded apple keyboard?

Sure would wanna see one :eek: