Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Who thinks otherwise?

I think they would sale like crazy if they did. It'll probably be expensive but Im sure it will sale a lot.

Don't you think?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Keep the layout of the little keyboard, make the keys black and backlit and put the multi-touch trackpad on the right hand side.

I would buy one in a heart beat.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Keep the layout of the little keyboard, make the keys black and backlit and put the multi-touch trackpad on the right hand side.

I would buy one in a heart beat.

Now they would really price it high because of the trackpad :eek:

I really just want a backlit keyboard. Since most of the time while I am on the comp its dark.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
adding backlit to the keyboard would put a bit of thick into it. so the thing will look not as sexy as the current. but hell yeah, i will buy one if they make it.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2007
Sold

I would buy one in a heart beat. It can't be too expensive because there are some out there that are backlit and are no more then $60-80. Im talking the Logitech G11 and G15 here. I bought one and loved it but then it will never match the sleek design of apple's new keyboard.

Limitations: Apple can not make a backlit keyboard wireless because it will zap the batteries juice fast. I doubt there is much thickness involved because if they can squeeze one into the MBA then I don't see a problem :D

Come on :apple: Innovate ;)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I would buy one in a heart beat. It can't be too expensive because there are some out there that are backlit and are no more then $60-80. Im talking the Logitech G11 and G15 here. I bought one and loved it but then it will never match the sleek design of apple's new keyboard.

Limitations: Apple can not make a backlit keyboard wireless because it will zap the batteries juice fast. I doubt there is much thickness involved because if they can squeeze one into the MBA then I don't see a problem :D

Come on :apple: Innovate ;)

i don't think LED will drain much power from the battery. anyway, a glow in the dark alternative would be cool too.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If they price those beauties (would be..lol) reasonably I'd queue up outside a store overnight to get my hands on them!

I'd like them to be similar to the MB backlit keyboards.

Samslice12

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Australia
If you mean a desktop keyboard. To me, I don't really see the point.

I mean, if you're at your desk you can probably control the amount of light that you are in. I guess they put back lit keyboards on laptops because they are portable and therefore you have less control of lighting conditions (eg. Planes, Cars).

I probably wouldn't spend the money on one. That's just me though.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
yeh i'd buy one to match my MBP's backlit KB. I sometimes work with no lights on. Just the multiple ACDs and often wish my KB had backlighting

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I'd like to see a keyboard with these features:

1) Backlit (preferably that really nice blue LED colour)

2) Full Keyboard layout, none of this laptop keyboard for a desktop crap

3) Bluetooth

4) Integrated Multi Touch that can be snapped onto either side of the keyboard (for lefties like me)

And if I was being totally unrealistic:

Custom keycaps available for popular media software. All those features with nice colour coded Pro Tools short cut keys would be great. I'm sure there's plenty of users of Final Cut, Logic, Photoshop etc... who'd agree with that idea too.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
hopefully soon apple will release a keyboard with black keys, just like the macbook family. the current white keys are easily get dirty which is suck.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
hopefully soon apple will release a keyboard with black keys, just like the macbook family. the current white keys are easily get dirty which is suck.

Not only that but it's laptop buttons. They should just do it like before. And even glow in the dark buttons are good.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
If you mean a desktop keyboard. To me, I don't really see the point.

I mean, if you're at your desk you can probably control the amount of light that you are in. I guess they put back lit keyboards on laptops because they are portable and therefore you have less control of lighting conditions (eg. Planes, Cars).

I probably wouldn't spend the money on one. That's just me though.

First of all, I look at your name and can't help read it as "Sam's Lice."

Other than that—people that bring this point up seem to forget that while you may have control over your lighting at a desk, there are many times when darkness is preferable.
I'm thinking specifically about those users that use Front Row or Plex on their minis and imacs. You're watching a movie, you take your keyboard to the bed to control your computer, and you turn the lights out.
I /do/ agree that a backlight wired keyboard's usefullness would be pretty low, but if they could cram LEDs into the wireless, I'd be all over it.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Now they would really price it high because of the trackpad :eek:

I really just want a backlit keyboard. Since most of the time while I am on the comp its dark.

Turn on the light? :)

I can see why in laptops a backlit keyboard can be important, since you don't always have control over the environment you are in while using it. On a desktop, if its too dark, you are presumably in your own home, so turn on the light!

If there's people sleeping next to you, then probably they would be annoyed at the tapping sound of a keyboard anyway. And if they're tough sleepers, then they wouldn't notice the light anyway (even a little light would help).

For movie watching, the Apple remote has everything you need to control that task.

And they do have custom key caps (well mats you put on over the keys anyway, which you can type on, helps protect your keyboard while giving you the extra feature at the same time) you can slap on Apple keyboards for short cuts and such for the professional programs like Photoshop, Logic, Final Cut etc.

Edit: Here's a link to what I am talking about: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=150

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The monitor is bright enough on an iMac that you can see your keyboard in the dark.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I have a computer desk, the keyboard would be under the computer.

Your keyboard sits under your computer when in use?

My keyboard sits on a tray that slides out when in use. It sits lower than, but not under my iMac.

I never had any problem in the dark. The imac screen is pretty bright. I will make a deliberate note tonight of checking the ambient keyboard light tonight.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Your keyboard sits under your computer when in use?

My keyboard sits on a tray that slides out when in use. It sits lower than, but not under my iMac.

I never had any problem in the dark. The imac screen is pretty bright. I will make a deliberate note tonight of checking the ambient keyboard light tonight.

Yes, Mine too has a slide but even if I pull it out I still cant see a thing.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'd like to see a keyboard with these features:

1) Backlit (preferably that really nice blue LED colour)

2) Full Keyboard layout, none of this laptop keyboard for a desktop crap

3) Bluetooth

4) Integrated Multi Touch that can be snapped onto either side of the keyboard (for lefties like me)

And if I was being totally unrealistic:

Custom keycaps available for popular media software. All those features with nice colour coded Pro Tools short cut keys would be great. I'm sure there's plenty of users of Final Cut, Logic, Photoshop etc... who'd agree with that idea too.
+1 i'm a lefty too but knowing apples track record i dont think anything would be detachable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.