They should implement Screws on the power cord

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cole JM, May 7, 2011.

1. Cole JM macrumors regular

Today while moving my iMac to plug in a iPod cable the power cord was tugged out, shutting off the machine. If only the iMac had its power plug screwed into the back of the imac, has this ever happened to you?

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'd imagine that would be against electrical code.

3. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I find the power cable to be a firm and snug fit. Screws?! Tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't be swearing like a sailor, the first time you wanted to get the power cable out but couldn't find a screwdriver...

I suggest positioning your iMac so that you can get to the ports without moving it. And (without wishing to be rude) perhaps take some responsibility for your treatment of the machine, rather than blaming the design. Which is fine. With all due respect.

4. iRobby, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I saw the "Accident" Mac/PC Commercial few years ago promoting the iMacs having magnetic power cords. Is this still true with the new ones or that didn't go too well so they stopped those?

EDIT:VVVVVV Sorry I missed "MacBook" in the commercial DUH! VVVVVV

5. kevin2223 macrumors member

It was for the MacBooks (and MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs). I don't believe any of the iMacs have had a magnetic power cord since they are designed to remain stationary, with less chance that the power cord is disrupted from someone walking by/etc.

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

That's why I like the wired keyboard. Has an open USB port on the left side of it.

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

sorry to hear, that must have been a pretty tough move or something to warrant the cable just unplugging like that?

advice next time to shut down before attempting to move any desktop computer or electronic device plugged in when unsure of port locations.

otherwise invest in a spare USB iPod cable to keep plugged in at all times.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

OP, you must not have ever plugged in an external monitor that screws in. It was a terrible idea then and it's a terrible idea now.

9. jukeofurl, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

jukeofurl macrumors newbie

Screw[ed]

Oh way back in the Dork ages we did have some power cords w/screws. As you see some did not like them. They had screw ins for most external devices too. It was a mixed blessing unless you had a class full of little kids in a Summer program. Then it was tricky - but somewhat safer. The whole thing would get yanked around. Sigh, the good old daze... OK they were not:D

10. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

my abacus doesn't have a power cord and it still works.

true story

11. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Wait. I thought all in ones were all about not having wires and cables all over the place?

Perhaps Apple could get a clue and offer a consumer level Mac that has some jacks and ports on the front like the Mac Pro does? What a radical idea. Made a computer easier to use. But instead Apple is more concerned about the way it looks.

I'll take function over form.

12. Drewbie macrumors member

13. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

and on the right side aswell.

14. Cole JM thread starter macrumors regular

Well I mean thubmb screws. Or maybe a latch to keep it in. What happened was I leaned the screen up and. POP power dies.

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I had an earlier iMac FALL OFF THE TABLE onto a hard wood floor.

It pulled the power cord out of the wall, but stayed connected to the iMac.

IF you tugged your cable out of the iMac, I have to say it was not inserted and seated all the way into the connector to begin with ... or the socket and/or power cable you have are defective.

It's hard enough to push in the power cable on my current iMac as well, I cannot image it coming out that easy.

Not be be harsh .... but you need to be more careful in the way you iMac is installed. I have enough slack in my power cable that shifting the screen puts no pressure on it.

16. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Glad to see you agree that Apple ought to make it easier to connect external devices to the consumer Macs.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It isn't. It's actually safer to have a cord that unplugs easily if something falls on it or someone trips on it.

Think of how many things in your house that have a power cord actually attached to it.

18. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The power cord shouldn't be so taught as to pull out when tilting or turning. Likewise, make sure it is completely seated. Otherwise it would doubtfully pull out very easily. You would certainly feel it pulling against and would have to put some serious effort to get it to release.

As for jacks. I find that I have enough peripheral needs that I bought a belkin usb hub to give myself additional ports. Now my iMac has only 3 USB ports, but I am able to plug the HUB into 1, my iPhone/iPod/iPad sync cable into another and my USB external drive into the 3rd. Then I have my USB printer connected to the back of my hub, and something else, and two open ports on the front of my hub for connecting cameras, thumb drives, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/7-PORT-Desktop-USB-Hub-ps/dp/tags-on-product/B002K3Y2MM

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

21. wangkom macrumors member

At first I thought this was a joke. Then after reading 3 times, I guess it isn't. So you'd like to screw the power cord to your computer and when someone trips on it or nudges it too much, you want to have your computer slide off the desk onto the ground?

Might as well blend it....:D

22. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Most desks are up against a wall. Who is going to be able to walk behind it?
    Who would leave a cord lying across where anyone would walk? Anyone who would do that probably doesn't have the brains to work a computer in the first place.

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Instead of applying screw .. just make the plug magnetic like in Macbooks

Safe and secured, tightly connected without additional screw which make things look bad

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You mean, like, a floor? :rolleyes:

25. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

That looks pretty sweet ! . . . Is it sturdy enough to support a 27" iMac?