Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Heck, the way she was holding it probably fell under frat rules for beer...

If you hold it out away from you in a manner that says I don't want this beer anymore, don't complain when someone takes it away from you and chugs it down.

davidkahn

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
I assure you that this story is true.

Since this website has resulted in a lot of traffic to our website, I came here to see what's up. Here's what I can add:

The bicycle thief was just unlucky to have grabbed the iPhone during the demonstration. If he had looked at the phone, rather than stuffing it in his pocket, he would have seen it tracking his route through the city. The software is meant for the cell phones of police, fire and military personnel -- not for thieves.

One possible reason why the San Francisco police may have responded so quickly is that the robber had mugged another women a short while earlier, so they knew this person was a repeat offender. When he was captured, he had her phone too.

I do not know how to obtain police reports. However, it must be possible, as I assume that is how the San Francisco Chronicle got the robber's name. The perpetrator was arrested fot Grand Larceny, and will likely go to jail, because even if we dropped the complaint (which we will not do, because it was not a stunt), the other person who was robbed will not. That's a heavy price to pay if this was really a stunt.

If I find out that the police report can be viewed on-line, I will post the URL. If anyone else knows how to do this, feel free to post it.

While it doesn't prove that the incident wasn't staged, I have attached a track of the robber's path after robbing the iPhone.

David Kahn

Attachments

• Track of Perpetrator.png
    Track of Perpetrator.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 162

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
It's a valid police report

Why is it staged?

The Chronicle is the main news source for the San Franciso Bay Area (population 5-6 million). The reporter has worked for them for 10 years (google him). He interviewed the police, who said they booked the suspect for grand theft...

"Toure was captured a half-mile away about 10 minutes later, at 4:01 p.m., said police Sgt. Troy Dangerfield. He was booked into jail on suspicion of grand theft and possession of stolen property."

People do stupid things all the time. A friend is a bank manager in Seattle, and told me he's had about 20 armed robberies, with an average take of $500.

Who's stupid enough to do armed robbery, with a high chance of capture and a 10-20 year sentence, for $500? Looks like at least 20 people were that stupid in his bank alone!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I am glad my monitor is calibrated and I can see the white letters you used to create the step effect gooood job? now why not use space?

vB code takes the spaces out in most cases. And yes, depending on your monitor you can still see the letters though maybe you won't notice them on first glance. Of course it always shows up in a quote with the grey box.

We were in Florida and decided to walk next door to a grocery store after dinner. We arrived back at our hotel and soon realized that somehow between loading groceries into the car and strapping our son into his car seat, we forgot the diaper bag in the shopping cart which contained my new iPad 3G, our son's adoption papers and my hubby's wallet.

I am curious about this. I have found that it takes much longer to locate my iPad and sometimes it doesn't work at all with Find My iPhone even though my iPad is at home on our WiFi network, which led me to believe that for WiFi only versions it had to be awake and logged into a WiFi network. However, I have gotten it to find it when it was not awake, so who knows. That is certainly one advantage to having the 3G version, especially when it is not in range of a WiFi network. However, the additional price was not one I could justify.

Good story. Next time don't leave all that valuable stuff in a bag you aren't willing to shoulder. It's easy to think it's just a diaper bag and toss it in carts or elsewhere.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Seriously, how hard is it to turn off the damned thing?
From on a bike? A little tricky.
I'm sure it's real. I've seen stupider things done by thieves and after hearing stories from my police friends it's even more plausible.
And in this case it isn't being stupid, it's Murhphy - unless the lady was walking around with a sign on her head "I'm demoing a GPS tracker on my Phone!"

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Suuuure. The only record of this "Horatio Toure" is in a blog associated with the San Francisco Chronicle (to say that it's actually in the Chronicle is a bit disingenuous)

It never happened. Horatio Toure doesn't exist.

He also has a Facebook profile with 1 friend.
This seems like a stunt to me, too.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Since this website has resulted in a lot of traffic to our website, I came here to see what's up. Here's what I can add:

The bicycle thief was just unlucky to have grabbed the iPhone during the demonstration. If he had looked at the phone, rather than stuffing it in his pocket, he would have seen it tracking his route through the city. The software is meant for the cell phones of police, fire and military personnel -- not for thieves.

One possible reason why the San Francisco police may have responded so quickly is that the robber had mugged another women a short while earlier, so they knew this person was a repeat offender. When he was captured, he had her phone too.

I do not know how to obtain police reports. However, it must be possible, as I assume that is how the San Francisco Chronicle got the robber's name. The perpetrator was arrested fot Grand Larceny, and will likely go to jail, because even if we dropped the complaint (which we will not do, because it was not a stunt), the other person who was robbed will not. That's a heavy price to pay if this was really a stunt.

If I find out that the police report can be viewed on-line, I will post the URL. If anyone else knows how to do this, feel free to post it.

While it doesn't prove that the incident wasn't staged, I have attached a track of the robber's path after robbing the iPhone.

David Kahn

Thanks - your response is very reasonable.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Donal MacIntyre once tried to get mugged in Brixton by wandering around as a wealthy businessman in a suit, holding a laptop bag, pretending to be drunk, asking gangs of teens for directions and waving his smartphone around in their faces as if he was offering it to them.

It took until the second night before someone snatched his phone even though everyone I know who's lived in Brixton has been mugged at least once. No matter how prevalent crime is in an area, if you actually tried to get into trouble there, it probably wouldn't kick off quite as quickly as all those scenes in movies where someone is forced to go to a rough area dressed as an obvious target.

Faking a snatching, of course, is not a very smart idea either, especially in a country where the police are allowed to shoot you just for trying to escape.

Besides, as the man said himself, the app is not aimed at consumer security, but for the emergency services themselves, so the incident doesn't scream "PR stunt" quite as loudly as it first seems.

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
You conspiracy theorist are a hoot. In order for this to be staged they would have had to either bribed law enforcement officials to play along or have hired someone who was willing to be charged with a felony and face potential jail thing for this alleged marketing stunt.

I swear, people seem to completely turn off their brains the moment they start posting **** on internet forums.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Apple obviously staged this whole thing for publicity, just like the iPhone 4 leak to Gizmodo! There IS NO Covia Labs, just like there WAS NO German beergarden! David Kahn and Jason Chen don't even exist, they're actually Apple admins! MUHAHAHAHA...

Ah, conspiracies...

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Apple obviously staged this whole thing for publicity, just like the iPhone 4 leak to Gizmodo! There IS NO Covia Labs, just like there WAS NO German beergarden! David Kahn and Jason Chen don't even exist, they're actually Apple admins! MUHAHAHAHA...

Ah, conspiracies...

Its all the Illuminate fault and those dam lizard overlord from the center of the world they are all behind this. :eek:

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Faking a snatching, of course, is not a very smart idea either, especially in a country where the police are allowed to shoot you just for trying to escape.

Eh, they are however supposed to use intelligence. Shooting someone who just knifed a guy is one thing - a grab&go thief would be a different animal.

GutBomb

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
Outside Boston
You conspiracy theorist are a hoot. In order for this to be staged they would have had to either bribed law enforcement officials to play along or have hired someone who was willing to be charged with a felony and face potential jail thing for this alleged marketing stunt.

I swear, people seem to completely turn off their brains the moment they start posting **** on internet forums.

I don't believe any of it actually happened. No one stole a phone, no one was arrested, it was completely fabricated. Law enforcement was never involved. And it was not in "The Chronicle." It was a story on the "Crime Scene" blog on the chronicle's website.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Alert and Respond website doesn't even have any video demonstrations or screen shots. Too bad. I'd like to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.