Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I bought 2 Macbooks from there at various times (both last year) and each time I had to go around back with my purchase order and a rep met me back there to load up my car. These are small boxes and easy to carry unlike the iMacs so I could have walked out the front but the sales rep told me each time "Sorry you have to pick it up at the back."

Others have the same experience at other mall stores where you did NOT walk out the front door with a huge purchase.

I haven't known anyone to purchase any Apple computers at the Perimeter location but I do know that mall has gone to 'SH][T' over the years and is a high target for crime. Especially on the (when facing the mall) right side parking lot.

This is NOT a global way Apple does things, other mall stores will not let you walk out the front with a computer.

That's good to know! I'll consider that for my next purchase.

I walked out the front door with all of my hardware purchases from the Perimeter Mall store, Plus the two iMacs that needed service, right out the front door when I picked them up.

I wonder how Lenox Square handles this? that would be the riskiest mall in Atlanta (by far) to walk around carrying a new computer box. I've seen Apple Store employees there carry items out to the parking lot for people before using the main entrance.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Such a sad state of affairs when the day of anticipation finally arrives and someone ruins it for you.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I'd be the type of jerk that would intentionally prance around the mall with an iMac box, stuffed full of bricks, and then "accidentally" turn my back to it. Screw around with the thieves a little. :p

But yeah, it's unfortunate that there are so many thieves out there. Makes me wonder. Somewhere, out there... is one of YOU reading this on your stolen Mac?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
People who'd do stuff like that anger me so much. I have been a victim of thievery, not the same way, but it's the same. It's not so much what they took, it's more the fact that you've been violated. I can't imagine how infuriating it must be for someone to take an expensive item you just bought.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is 1 case of people with poor judgement. Who leaves a purse with money in their car anyway?

It could happen anywhere for anything. Not Apple specific.
Should Tiffany start brown bagging because some people with low IQ?

Smarter people always puts expensive items in the trunk and lock the trunk.

Are you serious ? Most modern cars have a trunk release inside the car so you can pop the trunk without the key. So once you get into the car there is no stopping you from getting access to the trunk.

However, putting things in the trunk does tend to hide it from people that didn't see you put in there.

Most modern cars can LOCK the trunk with their car key so it can't be popped from inside the car.

Ever heard of Valet keys?

life is good

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Apple thieves

Unfortunately the thieves are smart enough to case the rear pickup also. One must always be aware of their surroundings. You would not think one would have to be concerned about being followed but we do.
Of course life is not fair and stuff happens, I'm over it and moving on without a Mac and a dying HP :) for now.
But I feel if there is something more that can be done to keep this from happening to others then I'm on it and will pursue. Just looking for others who have been a victim. As the Deputy said, we should be able to leave things in our locked car. But not in todays society we can't.
As an aside check your insurance policies. Stolen laptop usually falls under Homeowners or Renters Policy. But with a $1000 deductible, not much one can recover with a MacBook.
And if you purchase with a credit card be sure your card has some sort of theft protection. But read the fine print, some say not covered if stolen from your "automobile."

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Buying online will not always protect you. A few years back we ordered a brand new dual G5 PowerMac tower. I came home from work to find it sitting on the walkway outside the front door. As you know Apple rarely puts items in a concealing box, so there it was - a huge box with a picture of the expensive computer inside plastered all over it practically screaming, "Steal Me!"
I don't know what the FedEx guy was thinking considering it said "Signature Required". (The tracking page said it had been signed for by F. RONTDOOR - cute) I considered calling Apple and saying it was never delivered and getting a free G5 on FedEx's dime, but I settled for calling Apple and FedEx and reporting the incident.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Buying online will not always protect you. A few years back we ordered a brand new dual G5 PowerMac tower. I came home from work to find it sitting on the walkway outside the front door. As you know Apple rarely puts items in a concealing box, so there it was - a huge box with a picture of the expensive computer inside plastered all over it practically screaming, "Steal Me!"
I don't know what the FedEx guy was thinking considering it said "Signature Required". (The tracking page said it had been signed for by F. RONTDOOR - cute) I considered calling Apple and saying it was never delivered and getting a free G5 on FedEx's dime, but I settled for calling Apple and FedEx and reporting the incident.
You should have done it to teach FedEx a lesson.

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Anyone know if someone has been stalked and robbed coming home from a Gateway or Dell store?

I would think not.

Just as soon rob the blue hippo truck. Which by the nature of the crap involved would only be a misdemeanor I believe.

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
i think you mac users need to hit the gym instead of playing secret spy when buying your gear.

time to get brolly

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you have a sedan, there's no way to get into a locked trunk.

Put a flat blade screw driver in the key slot. Force it about 3/8 inch into the slot with a small hammer. Put a pair of vice grip pliers on the screw driver and turn it as if it were a key. This trick works on almost all locks on car doors, car trunks and the locks on your house doors too. It does not work on newer automotive ignition locks.
It actually does minimal damage and anyone can do this in 15 seconds. It is easier (and quieter) then smashing a window.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't know what the FedEx guy was thinking considering it said "Signature Required". (The tracking page said it had been signed for by F. RONTDOOR - cute)

I had a similar experience once when ordering a set of home theatre speakers! I was not expecting a delivery in that timeframe (long story) so I was halfway around the country on vacation when I checked a tracking number and determined that they had been delivered! I called a friend to check and sure enough, they had delivered two enormous boxes, just sitting on my front porch, and I was 10 days away from coming home. I asked my friend to take them back with him. He said he felt VERY weird, late at night in front of a darkened house, packing away two big boxes from the porch into the back of his Honda Civic!

I called the company to complain and they informed me that it was their policy not to request the signature on delivery option when shipping out!

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Put a flat blade screw driver in the key slot. Force it about 3/8 inch into the slot with a small hammer. Put a pair of vice grip pliers on the screw driver and turn it as if it were a key. This trick works on almost all locks on car doors, car trunks and the locks on your house doors too. It does not work on newer automotive ignition locks.
It actually does minimal damage and anyone can do this in 15 seconds. It is easier (and quieter) then smashing a window.

Thanks! I'll remember that the next time I need to rob someone.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
You need to be there when they are stealing your stuff for that to be effective....

Not necessarily. Depends on what sort of new, innovative features are in the iTazer!

Perhaps it zaps anyone who touches the bag incorrectly?

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I was followed into the parking lot once when leaving a Best Buy with a camcorder. Since I had been at the firing range before stopping at Best Buy, I was wearing a holster with a 45 in it ( I have a concealed carry permit.) When I realized I was being "cased" I pulled off my jacket so the individual could see my pistol. I glanced over my shoulder while getting in and noticed he was beating a hasty retreat! I hate to think I need to carry a weapon when I go shopping, but that is the way it is in some places. I guess I will take a pistol when I go pick up my wife's new MBP this weekend. :(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There was also a notice after Christmas about how you throw away the boxes ...

Any box for expensive electronics is an advertisement for, break in here and steal my new gadgets.

Wait 3-4 months for it to be replaced with insurance and break in again.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There was also a notice after Christmas about how you throw away the boxes ...

Any box for expensive electronics is an advertisement for, break in here and steal my new gadgets.

Wait 3-4 months for it to be replaced with insurance and break in again.

I save my boxes. Helps when transporting or if you need to sell it.

If I were throwing away boxes, break it down so people don't see what they contain.

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
"After the purchase, the two walked to their car and laid it on the floorboard, then headed towards home, taking several back roads and making a quick stop at the Dunwoody Blockbuster Video store on Mt. Vernon near Jett Ferry Road. Unbeknownst to Jim and his stepdaughter, their vehicle, a Grand Marquis, had apparently been followed from Perimeter Mall by three people in a white, late model minivan, which parked right next to them."

Really? Several back roads and they don't notice a car following them? Sounds like a possible insurance scam. Don't get me wrong, but when I buy high priced items I: 1) go with a couple of friends, and/or 2) go straight home afterwards, and most definitely 3) make sure the paranoids aren't after me.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Wow, that's pretty scary. I guess online purchasing is the way to go... :(

Don't bet on it...

The delivery guy was stupid enough to leave my macbook order (in a box with a big apple logo on the side) with the neighbors across the hall last year without any permission from myself. The same neighbor's apt. where we saw plainclothes detectives arresting a man previously.

Luckily I knocked on the door and got it no problem, but...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.