Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I wonder if they can push an OTA screen image that says

THIS IPHONE
WAS STOLEN
FROM APPLE.
IT HAS BEEN
REMOTELY LOCKED
AND RENDERED
INOPERABLE.
ITS LOCATION IS
BEING MONITORED
BY APPLE AND
LAW ENFORCEMENT.
POSSESSION OF THIS
DEVICE IS A CRIMINAL
OFFENSE.

Reactions: tyasjs

ronno

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2014
Hopefully Apple will track these phones back to the thieves before they sell them all.

It would be more work than it’s worth to Apple, but they could track every phone and meet with each person who purchased a stolen device to make sure only the thieves get screwed.

And how is this “tracking” supposed to work?
(New phone is a sealed box. Not powered on...)

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Is possession of stolen property a prosecutable offense if you unknowingly purchase the property in a legitimate manner?

Buying a phone via Craigslist Just to be jailed for theft sounds like nonsense to me.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Apple is probably going to block the stolen serial numbers on the activation servers.

The thieves will end up with 300 paperweights. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they figure out their stolen booty is worthless!

I doubt they will keep them. They will be sold to more suckers and money will be made.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Hopefully with apples logistics they can get as many there as quickly as possible for customers this is quite awful for a release like this

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I guess I’m a little more surprised that one Store was getting 300 Xs
They possibly didn’t steal them all. And there may have been more delivered besides this one truck.
[doublepost=1509683264][/doublepost]
You know can track UPS flights. Once it leave Louisville to whatever destination. You'll know when it arrival in your city, so all do it wait after that.
So what reference number YOU use to track Apple Store deliveries?

We can track home deliveries from China, but I have never heard of anyone being privy to Apple’s stock replacement tracking numbers for retail stores.

Reactions: witnessthefunk

Jaybrwn

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Ocean Front ☀
That took a lot of balls. I can’t help but wonder if perhaps the UPS driver was in on it, otherwise how could they know the exact time and place of this specific shipment? I’m glad these devices are useless to them.
I would assume these guys are familiar with the drop of day for these phones. They had to have this planned since last year.

Reactions: Caliber26

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
This could have been corporate espionage by Apple competitors, I’m sure they can disassemble those 300 units and steal trade secrets for years.
Sarcasm, right?
[doublepost=1509683418][/doublepost]
I would assume these guys are familiar with the drop of day for these phones. They had to have this planned since last year.
How much you wanna wager that there are some thieves that lurk here and glean knowledge on home deliveries and so on...

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Apple can overnight phones directly from the factory to fulfill the pre-orders, that would be nothing for logistics and supply teams to pull off...

This had to have been an inside job of some sort, or information got out about the shipment from a back of house employee at that store. There is just no way they could have known that a random UPS truck parked at a loading dock at a mall just so happened to be an iPhone shipment.

I wonder if these phones will be blacklisted or blocked in anyway at all? The loss is a drop in the bucket for Apple compared to the prospect of 300 public relation and brand perception issues that could arrise from the clueless people that buy them on eBay/Craigslist.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
This is more unfortunate than a usual Apple heist in that it means there are 300 less phones for enthusiastic customers to receive on launch day.
many of which may have already been paid for with preorder pickups.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Has this story even been verified? Every year, I hear a story about iPhones being stolen from a UPS or FedEx trucks right before launch day. I'm not convinced. However, if it IS true, the cops will find those guys before morning. There are cameras all over SF, license plate will trace back to an owner, I mean, come on, this isn't a serial killing we're talking about here.

I think the UPS/FedEx trucks should have surveillance cameras inside the back of the truck, that is super easy to do. If it's too expensive, they could implement them only in the trucks carrying more than "X" (sorry, pun hahaha) iPhones, that is the best solution.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Conspiracy theories. Couldn’t competitors simply buy a few instead of facing time in prison? hmmm.

You try buying ONE iPhone X on launch day, let alone 300. They may need many of these things to get access to the secure enclave. Also it's well known that SFPD doesn't investigate theft cases, and even when they catch someone, they are out on bail with charges dropped. No chance of prison time.

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
See the problem is now the phones will be deactivated but the person buying from the thieves won’t know that. So the innocent eBay customer who pays 1500 for their iPhone X will be SOL. That ain’t right man. the real loser is the third party buyer.

Well the shipping insurance and ebay buying guarantee are the ones actually holding the bill here

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
What's the point of Face ID if it can't even identify the faces of thieves? /s

Reactions: sracer

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple is probably going to block the stolen serial numbers on the activation servers.

The thieves will end up with 300 paperweights. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they figure out their stolen booty is worthless!
300 paperweights and hopefully some felony convictions. Unfortunately they will probably dupe 300 unwitting buyers on the street before that happens.
[doublepost=1509685922][/doublepost]
If you read the full article on other sites, someone from Apple has commented that the pre-ordered phones WILL be honored, but the walk-ins are pretty much out of luck.
Yeah that sucks. The thieves ruined it for the fans willing to camp out overnight. And for 300 unwitting people who will likely buy the soon-to-be useless phones on the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.