Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Then again, what do I know, I've only owned two MBAs. I'm not an expert like yourself and others who have never owned one.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yep, I also had two.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
What are those people's point when they don't have a problem?
Oh, they want to feel superior... Unless you people are so sure that, with some fact that you can recommend all potential buyers to get one already, which I fail to find thus far.

And it's funny I've never seen rev A get same line problem. My rev A doesn't have it or heard it elsewhere till now.

zero, eye pain may or may not be more of a health problem of a person, but it's clear that there are defective Airs (assuming we trust all the reporters, since wherever I go, rev B is never displayed, including Apple Store for some odd reason, saying their stock is low or some stuff...), either if it makes a person's eyes hurt or not.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
So... what would you do, if you had one of those defective Air... shut up and cry? or seek for help on the internet until it's resolved?

aussie.damo

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
Display model MBA Australia

I saw an MBA at the Apple Store on the weekend. I looked for any evidence of the horizontal lines, but couldn't see them. I rebooted 5 times, turned the brightness all the way up, changed the background to various solid colours, but still saw nothing. Interestingly, I couldn't see the option for 4-finger swipe, despite having searched for it. Is that under trackpad options?

I confirmed it was the new model through About This Mac and by looking at the mini-display-port.

As line free as it was, the screen was just awful! It had dark patches all over it and seemed much blurier than my Rev A MBA. It was so poor that I asked one of the sales staff about it. This was his response:

"Yeah, it does look patchy - that's because it's a demo model. We leave them on 24x7, so some of the LEDs have started to die."

I was pretty shocked by this statement, so I asked him whether he was serious? I asked whether Apple expected their screens to dim so significantly after so short a time. He thought that one month of being on constantly was about right for where it was at!

I'm no LCD / LED backlighting expert, but that seems like rubbish! Any thoughts?

One thing I'll add - I thought about it on the way home and realised that the patchiness seemed to match the wallpaper pattern (it just had the standard Leopard background). I couldn't be sure of that as I only considered it after I'd left. Is it more likely a burn in?

Again, I'm no expert, so don't flame me for anything please :D

Damo

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
But you don't want to move on from this thread, I bet you're an Apple employee :cool:
And damo, like the 10th time on the thread, non US keyboard has bug in software that prevents 4 finger swipes from working, which is supposed to be fixed through software updates. But I'm surprised at Apple Store's staff... for one thing, they don't know about obvious problems (not even 4 finger swipe problems, have they even used the new product themselves?) and now they tell you display is fubar because it was on for less than a month?

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I know. People's problem look funny to the one who don't have one. I find it funny when people who has no legs, but I defintely don't try to think it's funny. And can we please post something worthwhile? :eek:

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
So... what would you do, if you had one of those defective Air... shut up and cry? or seek for help on the internet until it's resolved?

I say this in good will, if there is a problem, you and anyone else who has these issues, go to Apple, you complain to them by calling, writing, emailing Steve, speaking to the managers/genius at the Apple store. Post on the Apple discussion forums. Make sure they hear you.

you have more chances of getting a resolution through those other means i listed above than posting on macrumors, seriously.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

As I continue to read this thread, it makes me so scared about the purchase I made for the R2 1.6 120gb MBA.
I ordered it Nov. 23rd and when it comes Dec. 19th and it has screen issues, I think I'll cry.
I just feel so bad for all of the people who have problems on such a wonderful laptop. :(

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I know. People's problem look funny to the one who don't have one. I find it funny when people who has no legs, but I defintely don't try to think it's funny. And can we please post something worthwhile? :eek:

My friend you are morbid, you think this little issue is a severe as a man with no legs??? You need to get a life.

T

The Toddfather

My friend you are morbid, you think this little issue is a severe as a man with no legs??? You need to get a life.

Keep in mind this poster does not own and MBA and never has, how Ironic.:D Chances are he's on his parents computer in the living room having a bit of fun. Today is his first day on the site and he has chosen to spend it talking about a product he knows nothing about. Maybe his parents will boost his allowance and one day he can save up to actually purchase a Mac. Until then, ignore his petty comments and save your energy for someone who can benefit from your Mac ownership experience. Wasting your time debating with him may cause you to lose IQ points.:)

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Keep in mind this poster does not own and MBA and never has, how Ironic.:D Chances are he's on his parents computer in the living room having a bit of fun. Today is his first day on the site and he has chosen to spend it talking about a product he knows nothing about. Maybe his parents will boost his allowance and one day he can save up to actually purchase a Mac. Until then, ignore his petty comments and save your energy for someone who can benefit from your Mac ownership experience. Wasting your time debating with him may cause you to lose IQ points.:)

He is now on my ignore list :)

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
oh, even if I stated I own rev A several times...
To quote you, "I just don't read but I hate this new guy"
This forum is of lower quality than I first thought.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

As I continue to read this thread, it makes me so scared about the purchase I made for the R2 1.6 120gb MBA.
I ordered it Nov. 23rd and when it comes Dec. 19th and it has screen issues, I think I'll cry.
I just feel so bad for all of the people who have problems on such a wonderful laptop. :(

You will be fine. I will send you good karma!

T

The Toddfather

Ditto Andrea, I have rev 2 and have no issues. This is an awesome computer with an incredible screen. If you have an issue, send it back or take it to an Apple store. The service is always raked #1 in the industry. Good luck and enjoy!

nmook

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Just returned my MacBook Air today for a refund. Purchased it at a store on October 31 (week 43, one of the first ones to hit stores). However, I've been busy so I stupidly did not open it until last night. I'm pretty picky, and I was working in the dark, so I noticed the lines right away (in bright light, they are harder to see), but didn't think much of them until I stumbled across this link in the Apple Discussions. Once I saw this discussion and really took note of the lines, they are REALLY annoying. It's like the FedEx arrow: once you see it, you can't avoid looking at it.

Even though the return period for my MBA expired on November 14, the Apple Store in Columbia, Maryland, was amazing. The Genius working there saw the lines immediately when I loaded up Google.com, and he went to discuss the issue with his manager. Both of them were seemingly aware of the problems with the MBA screens, and did not give me a hard time at all. They immediately offered me a refund and marked my MBA as "DOA" in the computer system.

I looked at the 2 MacBook Airs (Rev 2) they had on display, and both had the issue with the lines.

Both the store manager and the Genius said they haven't heard anything about Apple fixing the problem, and just told me to wait and see what happens. They offered to give me a replacement new one, but said it would most likely have the line issue as well. They were the ones that recommend I just get a refund, and it took about 2 minutes.

So now I have to decide how long I want to wait for the issue to be fixed, since I really wanted the new MBA for traveling. Plus, I need to decide whether or not to cancel my order for the 24-inch LCD, since it can't be powered by my old MacBook Pro. SO FRUSTRATING.

To everyone who doesn't see the lines: I envy you. It's possible you got a fluke MBA, or just can't see them, but either way, lucky you. This issue definitely does exist and it affects most -- if not all -- Rev 2 MBAs (especially if Apple is telling people that's how it's supposed to be).

aussie.damo

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
But you don't want to move on from this thread, I bet you're an Apple employee :cool:
And damo, like the 10th time on the thread, non US keyboard has bug in software that prevents 4 finger swipes from working, which is supposed to be fixed through software updates. But I'm surprised at Apple Store's staff... for one thing, they don't know about obvious problems (not even 4 finger swipe problems, have they even used the new product themselves?) and now they tell you display is fubar because it was on for less than a month?

I must have missed the part where Apple released an advisory stating that all non US keyboard Airs have that bug. No, I'm not looking for confirmation on this board via a "I spoke to an Apple rep..." Can you point me to an official Apple release which states that? No? Didn't think so.

The main point I was making was to state that it didn't have 4 finger swipe (unless I missed it, hence my question) and also didn't have lines. Many people on this forum have wondered whether there is a correlation between the two, i.e. no swipe = horizontal lines.

With the obvious aggression in your posts, I'm wondering how long before you get banned. You might want to consider toning it down. Just a suggestion.

Damo

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Read around (this thread, apple forum or google for four finger swipe macbook air) and you see that everyone says it's about non US keyboard models and no one says one couldn't get it to work on US keyboard models. Apple never probably stated that officialy but it's quite obvious from all of the observations.

And I'll be fine, I was just surprised at the 'mess' on the first day posting on this forum. :rolleyes:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
LOL, this thread has a lot of newbies. Makes you wonder if they are the same complainers just creating new accounts to post in order to keep beating the dead horse to annoy others. ;)

nmook

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
LOL, this thread has a lot of newbies. Makes you wonder if they are the same complainers just creating new accounts to post in order to keep beating the dead horse to annoy others. ;)

Or we just thought it would be useful information to others who have the issue and read this thread. Clearly it's a widespread issue, the question is whether that's enough for Apple to make manufacturing fixes. It's probably minor to 95% of people, but to those of us spending $2500 for a top-of-the-line MacBook, it's a big deal.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I think its alot higher the 50% People that have great MBA don't post here, this is a small problem, blown out of proportion.

So many people report those bugs.
Currently, the poll says: 12 ok, 14 faulty. Not all of them joined cause of the bugs. And still: 0 have received a good replacement.

It´s ridiculous to say there isn´t a problem, there definitely is. Get awake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.