Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Maybe IF it was wide spread but its not, no update will be coming.

Oh, its not widespread? You´re dreaming, aren´t you? What do you think this thread, the treads on Apple´s Forums and even some Magazines Articles are all about?

Your reality denial really makes me laugh!

YOKOJP

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
I bought the MBA the day it arrived @ apple store. In the beginning the lines didn't bother me but after a while it starts to get irritating. Will call apple support see if I can get it fix. Like people said you paid a premium price and you expect a premium and perfect computer.

If I can't get it fix, I sue apple for damaging my eyes. lol.

wish me luck.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Newbie you are the one posting crap around here go home and play with your toys.
Very sophisticated post for a "veteran" member of one month. I don´t think it is appropriate behaviour to speak that tartly.

It´s not the kind of question i usually ask, but as time passes by, i wonder: how old are you? *shakehead*

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
The lines are wider spread...

So I just spent an hour at my local Apple Store (Apple North Shore - Peabody, MA). Here is what i saw:

1) There were two MBAs - a new Rev B, 1.86GHz SSD and an older Rev A, 1.6 HDD. The Rev B had lines - faint, but you could see them. The Rev A was next to it and here was definitely a difference. The Rev A screen was clearly line free. I ran the test images found on page 4 of this thread. both images passed, but interestingly, the second/right image had a pulse-like flicker on the Rev B where the split ran down the middle of the image. I loaded the same image onto the Rev A and it displayed it rock solid. No flicker.

2) I then looked at two 15 inch screen late 2008 MBPs. One of them had lines. The other was perfect. I ran the same page 4 images from this thread. The MBP with the lines flickered on the second image. On the MBP with no lines the image did not flicker.

3) Looked at 3 new MBs - all had zero lines.

It seems like the display on the Macbooks with lines were almost strobing - like the LED backlight's refresh rate or frequency was lower (sorry, I'm not an engineer, so that's the best way I can describe it).

wheelerw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
wow, yea Don't hate because you have lines and the two I bought are perfect, maybe its not my eyes, oh and still in my 40;s good luck :)
Well, I don't have the lines anymore, because I just got the Rev A instead. And I am not hating, just poking fun. :)

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
The OP in that vote thread says, if you got an earlier model than week 44, you should vote on 44 too.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
What? This is an issue now for other a month and apple hasnt done a thing or mentioned anything about it?

Is there anyone without these lines on his MBA rev.b?

Does the display from the MBA rev.a and b differ? If it is the same type it might just be the nvidia driver. Anyone tried a new driver yet?

StefanR.

Nov 8, 2008
So I just spent an hour at my local Apple Store (Apple North Shore - Peabody, MA). Here is what i saw:

1) There were two MBAs - a new Rev B, 1.86GHz SSD and an older Rev A, 1.6 HDD. The Rev B had lines - faint, but you could see them. The Rev A was next to it and here was definitely a difference. The Rev A screen was clearly line free. I ran the test images found on page 4 of this thread. both images passed, but interestingly, the second/right image had a pulse-like flicker on the Rev B where the split ran down the middle of the image. I loaded the same image onto the Rev A and it displayed it rock solid. No flicker.

thank you.

al3ph

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008

This pretty much describes what I saw on the two MBA`s I was delivered, grey lines, and unpleasant flicker when viewing the test image.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Will be returning my 2nd MBA week 45 (both from same store). The screen looks dirty, and when I place it next to a Gen A on display, the Gen A has a perfect screen. What on earth did apple do to mess with something that wasn't broke in the first place?? :(

ichigo11

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2006
Just received my MBA Rev B week 47 also with lines. I also have the new Macbook and that screen has no lines at all.

After taking the risk I'm start to think maybe all of the Rev B has lines, because all the ones I saw at several Apple stores all have the same problem.

Also I been following this thread since the beginning I think there were only 4 or 5 with the "perfect" screen and the rest were just Ironic posting on every page telling people he has the perfect MBA and we should all just take the plunge.

Well after taking the plunge I don't know if I should just live with this problem or try another one, but as of right now I don't think I will be able to find a perfect MBA until Apple address the problem.

Also can one of those people with a perfect screen post a picture of your screen? so at least we all can see what a perfect MBA look like because I haven't seen one yet.

StefanR.

Nov 8, 2008
Also I been following this thread since the beginning I think there were only 4 or 5 with the "perfect" screen and the rest were just Ironic posting on every page telling people he has the perfect MBA and we should all just take the plunge.

if you have nothing else to do this is maybe a nice place, better then kindergarten.

Well after taking the plunge I don't know if I should just live with this problem or try another one, but as of right now I don't think I will be able to find a perfect MBA until Apple address the problem.

the lines are very very subtitle, I could life with them, but not with the headache the screen produces...

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I hope for everyone the do find a cure, but many DO NOT have lines, how many we don't know.
Is the headache form the flicker or lines?

tommi80

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
I hope for everyone the do find a cure, but many DO NOT have lines, how many we don't know.
Is the headache form the flicker or lines?

i dont think the headache comes from the lines.
i rather think the lines and the headache are a indication for a bad flickering screen.

ichigo11

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2006
if you have nothing else to do this is maybe a nice place, better then kindergarten.

wow....I guess you have nothing better to do either than insulting people on a Mac forum.

I'm only reporting what happened to me and my opinion. I was in the same situation wanting wait before the problem was resolved.

However, I couldn't help myself and took the risk and I just want to inform people that's wait what happened to me before they make their decision.

This is why i rarely post on these forums, talking about being in kindergarten.

This will be my last post on the matter, hope every one with a problem screen keep this thread alive and maybe Apple will fix this problem.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008

oh... his brave report is only little better than being in kindergarten? I guess you failed to know the better world we live in :D

For christ's sake, Ironic's recommendation surely is working...
I'm sorry for those who took the chance and didn't get the luck...

I guess I'm seriously holding my purchase for now. Switching to SSD Rev A sounds better for now, for those HDD Rev A owners if they are thinking of upgrading (safely). Individual SSD is too expensive to just do the swap work, instead a whole replacement is cheaper.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
oh... his brave report is only little better than being in kindergarten? I guess you failed to know the better world we live in :D

For christ's sake, Ironic's recommendation surely is working...
I'm sorry for those who took the chance and didn't get the luck...

I guess I'm seriously holding my purchase for now. Switching to SSD Rev A sounds better for now, for those HDD Rev A owners if they are thinking of upgrading (safely). Individual SSD is too expensive to just do the swap work, instead a whole replacement is cheaper.

I say you should get a rev. A go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.