Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Beautiful... Absolutely beautiful:apple:
201055-airbook_side_425.jpg

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I understand a tapered base, but i doubt we'll see a tapered screen, as there are no components of different thicknesses in the screen which would require it.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Take the lid off, take the keyboard off, and put the multi touch screen on the bottom where the keyboard was. If you want a physical keyboard and mouse, use Bluetooth ones. Then you have something!

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
Pfft, to heck with class, I'll be staying home for the afternoon :p

About the design mockup, I can't say I really like it. I've never been a fan of the tapered designs.

I'm anxious to see if there's something worth replacing my current MacBook though.

haha I can't first day of classes so I need to go and get the book requirements. I wish I could but SMS should be fine :)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
if thats the case its beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

If this is REAL, this is the MOST BEAUTIFUL notebook design ever...simply awesome..! GO APPLE!

And to think that I am in California for the first time, but in L.A. and only for two days (meetings all day)...bleargh!!! Anyone knows when the new products are gonna show up at Apple Stores around the U.S.?

I wanted to try and purchase one of these beauties before I leave, probably in Santa Monica...does ANYONE know when newly-released products are normally available?

Not to be Captain Negative, but that seems a bit too thin to me. More likely the base would be closer to the thickness of the new Apple keyboard. That said, it is a very nice looking mockup. Just my two cents. :)
Agreed. They have to watch it. I've no interest in some flimsy piece of poof that cost me $1,500. I'm in the camp that favors adding wait and watching materials in the effort to enhance the feeling of value and quality. That said... Hopefully these suckers will be in the store tomorrow evening... whatever they end up showing us! :D

~ CB

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Interestingly enough, I tried macbookair.com yesterday and got a standard parking page from the company hosting the url. Tried again just a few minutes ago and got a failed page.

If anyone else visited it and previously got something and now doesn't, perhaps someone has received a C&D from Apple Inc.

eliotschreiner

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
This kind of makes me wonder...

Does it really need to be any thinner than one inch? Is anyone going to buy a 0.7-inch laptop than view the laptop that is .3 inches thicker an "inconvenience in size"? I think the weight matters more. The macbooks today can fit in any bookbag, so why not just make it as light as possible?

Besides, cutting down on thickness leaves out things like the optical drive.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Believe it or not, I don't like it.

Yeah, I'm not really excited about it either. It's a laptop; a thin one, but still a laptop. I'm really hoping that the real device will be a fully functioning computer that I can slide into my pocket (coat pocket, if not a shirt pocket). Why would Apple need to create another laptop to compete with the rest of their laptops? I don't get it. The technology that's been discussed could always be incorporated into existing products (the inductive charging, thin design, flash drives, etc...).

The form factor in the mock-up just doesn't seem different enough to warrant a big announcement.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
the one thing that i dont like about the rumors is the lack of an optical drive
isnt that pretty limiting?

still
it looks amazing
I don't think it's limiting. You just have to have a way of loading music and applications, plus access to backups. Most of which doesn't need to be done on the run... but I do think this will be limiting for some people.

I think that a small hard disk would be much more limiting.
MacBook without a DVD drive only makes sense to me if it's a really really large iPod touch.

Which does make sense to me. A tablet that you can surf from, watch movies on, do email on but that you must sync to a Mac/PC for loading the OS.
I would like to see a replacement for the old Newton eMate (ie: an iPod Touch + keyboard in an UMPC form factor, running Pages etc.

Is it plausible to have a 32GB laptop with the full OSX that syncs a subset of your documents, music, movies etc from your main computer? Imagine having the important parts of your data with you on the go, and when you get home automatically having access to the full data storage. (or even accessing your full data storage via "Back to my Mac" or .Mac backups?)

I'd like to throw all my music and movies onto a home server (or my old iMac's external drive), sync one subset of that to AppleTV, and take a different subset of data with me.

My only question is whether they will include a kbd/mouse.
Why would they add a keyboard to a laptop? Oh, you mean literally a large iPod Touch.. not a mini laptop based on iPod Touch+keyboard...

Xtoo

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Valencia, CA
- No optical drive? I suppose we can use a USB drive instead to copy and read files. Sounds good!
- Software downloads instead of physical discs? Hmm, still want my disc though. Incase of a re-install don't want to be waiting forever. Sounds so-so.
- Touch screen, although really cool how many of us would put our fingers on the book's screen? Will wait to see what how Jobs works it out. Sounds promising.
- Completely wireless? I hope they still add an Ethernet port.
- iMac's Silver, Black and Glass? Classy!!!!!

And I agree with another poster, although I promise not to read anything until tomorrow night... I CANT HELP IT!!!!!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If this is REAL, this is the MOST BEAUTIFUL notebook design ever...simply awesome..! GO APPLE!

And to think that I am in California for the first time, but in L.A. and only for two days (meetings all day)...bleargh!!! Anyone knows when the new products are gonna show up at Apple Stores around the U.S.?

I wanted to try and purchase one of these beauties before I leave, probably in Santa Monica...does ANYONE know when newly-released products are normally available?

For many announcements the Apple stores have had stock available right after the keynote.

Sometimes they haven't had anything for weeks afterwards, or the stores would get a shipment of a few items quite randomly (e.g. the Ipod Touch in September). If you happen to be in the store when the delivery truck arrives, you get one. If you're on the way, you don't.

If you plan to hit the Apple Store in the evening after your meetings end, you'll probably be out of luck. If it did have some, they'll probably be gone by noon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.