Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awinn233

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2003
FL
I'd rather not have an optical drive at all if it was going to work like that. You could always get an external for the few times you'd need one.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Under the keyboard

Has anyone ever thought to make either the entire keyboard or a portion of it hinge up as a door for an optical drive?

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Bleh, this idea isn't particularly attractive. Tablets would be the only ones to really see any benefit, but even still it's much better to load the media on the side, not the bottom. I doubt this will see the light of day, and Apple doesn't always use its patents. A hinged lid seems flimsy to me. It's going to be one of those things that can easily break off in the hands of the "right" user. Apple doesn't have to make an ultraportable WITH an optical drive. UMPC's don't require them, as opticals do little else for that category except suck batteries. An ultraportable macbook can simply be a smaller laptop with all of the necessary ports (USB, FW, mini-DVI-DVI) and be a good stand alone system as it is.

Basically, they can make a laptop without the drive, and provide larger systems like regular MB's and MBP's with them.

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
Odd size CDs at last for Mac?

Although the slot load is elegant, if forces us Mac users to eschew the small size CDs, or business card CDs, since they would never load correctly in a slot loader.
If this access panel allowed me to read these "exotic" optical form factors, I would buy a new laptop.

To be quite honest, I rarely use the optical drive, so closing the lid and flipping it over go gain access to myriad optical form factors would be no skin off my nose!
Key thing is the drive better be high end (DVD or BluRay) to get me to bite.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
if apple makes an ultra portable, would it not be of interest to accommodate people who will use it for watching movies? And if so accommodating, to which market? Download or bought disc? This design suggests a push for Download. Will this be the device to drive the Movie store?

new! :apple: cool:apple:

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I dont think it is meant for macbooks (although they have used powerbooks in illustration, but that does not mean that is where apple may intend to put it). It will rather find its way into ultraportables like 9 or 10 inch ones where they cannot put optical slots on one side. and anyway since such ultraportable ones (think iPhone but a little bigger on each dimensions) are meant for handy use, turning them on opposite side like for macbook (like many folks are pointing out here) does not hold any meaning there. therefore, optical slot can be put right on the opposite side of the screen. So this makes me wonder if they will come out with 9-10 inch slate for ultraportable purposes with OS X lite or full version on it with touchsensitive screen !! :)

No no no. This post will explain to you why an ultra portable does not need this feature. The synopsis: NOT ENOUGH PORTS (to fill the perimeter). Also, placement of the drive has no bearing on the device's thickness. It'll be just as thick placed on the edge as it will if centered.

-Clive

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
Although the slot load is elegant, if forces us Mac users to eschew the small size CDs, or business card CDs, since they would never load correctly in a slot loader.
If this access panel allowed me to read these "exotic" optical form factors, I would buy a new laptop.

To be quite honest, I rarely use the optical drive, so closing the lid and flipping it over go gain access to myriad optical form factors would be no skin off my nose!
Key thing is the drive better be high end (DVD or BluRay) to get me to bite.
So, you rarely use optical drives to begin with, but you would buy a new laptop in order to be able to read obscure CD formats that hardly anyone uses anyway?

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
what if apple imbeds a multi touch screen in for the track pad and gives it the ability to scan a DVD and play it from memory :eek:

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
SD Flash cards are too expensive for that kind of use. I bought a 250MB SD card and it was 30 bucks.
Yeah but it is a good idea anyway. I want flash USB thumb drives to overtake CDs as the standard but right now it is too expensive--but in the future there is hope. :)

Flash will replace CDs, DVDs and probably HD-DVDs and Blu-ray disks sooner than you might think.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
So I'm sitting at home where I've got my MacBook Pro connected to an external 2nd screen, external firewire hard drive, 4-port USB hub, ethernet broadband connection and power cord - and I'm going to have to turn the thing over in order to get to the drive in order to install a new version of <insert software package here>? I can't see this ever being feasible in a laptop. I also can't really see what difference it makes with regards to the physical size of the drive dictating the size of the machine - the laptop can't be any deeper than the size of a CD plus however mm extra it needs, so why can't it just be left on the side or at the front of the machine as it is now - will the difference in engineering really be that much?

I don't know how anyone has called you on this since you posted it, but I don't think that you're getting the point of the ultra-portable laptop. I don't think they would make a UP laptop or tablet with the intention of taking it home and hooking it up to an external monitor, usb hub, firewire drive, etc etc... it strikes me as something that would integrate wirelessly with your home computer... I also doubt that an ultra portable would be built to replace a laptop or home compuer but rather aimed at people who have desktops and need something to take on the road, or to school, or to the local coffee shop... not for someone who needs to run an external monitor and a lot processing power.
Personally, I'd rather have like an iMac and and UP laptop than a mbp that I have hooked up to an external monitor, etc at home.

Paul Turpin

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Bellingham, WA
it's not a smaller laptop - it's a larger ipod/phone?

Gosh - I think a lot of you don't quite get this direction things are going in.
Just think of this "tablet" as a larger iPhone/ipod with a bigger screen rather than as a smaller laptop. Perhaps the keyboard part is a red herring. They are considering an optical drive so you can enjoy DVD/cd/bd media on your ipodPhone without having to rip them in first / or so you can rip them in without having to attach to a larger computer. Personally I agree with the whole no drive at all thing up to a point. The iPhone has no drive, nor does the iPod - this thing might not need one either. If you have enough wireless speed, a usb port and maybe an expresscard slot - you could have plenty of I/O and storage options. I enjoyed my apple Duo and used the duo dock when I needed too. In fact just thinking about it makes me pissed that I broke the screen (when I kneeled on it onstage at a show - dammit!).

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Here's my theory...

I seriously doubt Apple is going to actually produce a computer you have to turn upside-down to insert or remove a CD. Maybe in a satire in The Onion, but not in real life.

A door on the back of a future rendition of the iPhone to accommodate a memory card and/or user-replaceable battery? Now THAT I'd (barely) believe.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Tablet - yes
laptop- no

Good concept but it seems a little awkward for a hinged laptop.

I love how quick n easy it was just using the slot drive on my iMac to rip my whole music collection. Insert > rip > eject. Such a smooth experience.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
get rid of this 20th century technology, already!

put OSX on NAND flash memory as well as other applications purchase via the internet (office, creative suite etc.). I have no use for this thing now in my black MacBook. What use will I have have for it in the future? It should be done away with like the 3.5 inch floppy disk!

Cinch
A few problems with that:

1) Not all software can be gotten from the internet. Some software still needs CDs or DVDs.

2) What about backup? (I know, external hard drives would work, but some may use CD-r or DVD-rs)

3) You might not have a use for ODDs, but other people might.

4) Remember HD-DVD & Blu-Ray?

5) NAND storage is still pretty small compared to hard drives. The biggest amount of NAND I've seen is 8 or 16 GB. Biggest single hard drive I've seen is 750 GB. Huge difference.

I find that a lot of people forget about #3 very often. Why do so many think that if they don't have a use for something, nobody does? Most people might not have a use for a scalpal, but doctors performing surgery do. Same thing here. You might not need a CD player in your computer, but other people do!

In some ways, it would be a good idea if Apple custom designed a computer & software to each specific person, but that's a lot of work, would take a long time, and cost a lot to do. Plus, every time what you need changes, you'll have to get a whole new computer or something.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
They should come up with a way to read CD/DVDs "wirelessly", that is, without touching the computer. I can read a book without touching it - why can't a CD-rom read a CD at a distance? :rolleyes: Wouldn't it be nice to be able to watch a DVD movie without actually unwrapping the DVD package ;)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
If you watch DVD on your laptop, then you definitely needs to get laid!!!:D
Say, you know, I watch DVDs on my laptop + 20 inch ACD... I don't really own a TV, because TV sucks--a bunch of crap, except the Colbert Report and the Daily Show. But it's a minor loss, anyway. The point to this being, I am also married, and I do "get laid." So there! ;)

XForge

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
South Florida
Electrons don't move too fast. We did calculations in my 2nd physics class showing how an electron at the socket will take something like 3+ days to reach the lamp through a 6 foot cord. Neat stuff.

How is that possible? Electrons move at the speed of light, I thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.