Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Satisfied are you with the 4th Gen ATV?

• Total voters

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
I don't have an ATV yet, and one reason I have hesitated is that there is no digital audio output on it. But no one has listed this as an issue. Does no one find this to be a problem? How does everyone connect the audio?
HDMI?

macnicol

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
Surprised no one mentioned the deletion of the ATV3 audio optical out from the ATV4. One has to re-cable their AV setup to get a AV receiver to provide high def multi speaker audio out. Also one can not use the ATR4 for airplay except thru the HDMI cable. BTW the old ATV3 HDMI cable does NOT support audio out since it was dedicated to the optical out port.

Why can't this "smart" remote remember my complete Apple ID login not just the user ID and my DirecTV login?

Overall I am not impressed with this upgrade, in many respects it feels like a retrograde. This would never have happened under Jobs' oversight. Apple's beta testing must be done by a bunch of in-house inexperienced techies who like change just for change's sake. Once a feature or capability has been released and embraced by the user community it should NOT be changed unless their is a problem with it, or a new capability is added which INCLUDES the old feature, or an outside stimulus/event requires it be changed. Their seems to be little or no UI Requirements & Change Control Management oversight. Many of the above documented issues could have been avoided if there had been RCCM coupled with a thorough, REAL user Beta Test phase.

Reactions: rdolanjr

DanK104

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
More specific, please.
I'm guessing many people have surround sound systems. Do you feed the HDMI to the receiver, than the receiver output to the TV? Or how? For me that would mean replacing my receiver, at a cost greater than the ATV.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
Surprised no one mentioned the deletion of the ATV3 audio optical out from the ATV4. One has to re-cable their AV setup to get a AV receiver to provide high def multi speaker audio out. Also one can not use the ATR4 for airplay except thru the HDMI cable. BTW the old ATV3 HDMI cable does NOT support audio out since it was dedicated to the optical out port.

Why can't this "smart" remote remember my complete Apple ID login not just the user ID and my DirecTV login?

Overall I am not impressed with this upgrade, in many respects it feels like a retrograde. This would never have happened under Jobs' oversight. Apple's beta testing must be done by a bunch of in-house inexperienced techies who like change just for change's sake. Once a feature or capability has been released and embraced by the user community it should NOT be changed unless their is a problem with it, or a new capability is added which INCLUDES the old feature, or an outside stimulus/event requires it be changed. Their seems to be little or no UI Requirements & Change Control Management oversight. Many of the above documented issues could have been avoided if there had been RCCM coupled with a thorough, REAL user Beta Test phase.
You make some good points. I just have a few random comments.

1) It would have been nice if they kept the optical out port. However, not only did relatively few people use that port (outside of those of us on these forums), I'm guessing relatively few people even knew what the port was for.

2) HDMI isn't just the future, it is the present. If you can't get multi-channel sound using HDMI, it might be time to look at your A/V equipment. Some of the streaming sticks from Roku and Amazon also lack digital audio out. Also, optical digital output don't support some of the newer audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD:

http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-optical-which-digital-audio-connection-to-use/

3) Apple TV should remember whatever login you use to access iTunes content. If it doesn't maybe checking the settings would help.

4) Sadly, we will never know what Steve Jobs would have done. However, Apple removed features from their products more than once under Steve Jobs. Remember when they removed the floppy disk drive from the iMac or when they removed optical drives from MacBooks? Steve Jobs was still alive and running the company when those things happened? In fact, I had the first-generation Apple TV that Steve Jobs announced in 2007. It had composite outputs. Don't see those anymore.

5) Speaking of the first-generation Apple TV, it too had bugs. That's the unfortunate thing about Silicon Valley products: they are often released before they are perfect. That's why I think it is wise to NOT be the first kid on the block to buy the latest gadget.

Reactions: 2010mini

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
More specific, please.
I'm guessing many people have surround sound systems. Do you feed the HDMI to the receiver, than the receiver output to the TV? Or how? For me that would mean replacing my receiver, at a cost greater than the ATV.
If you have a typical A/V Receiver, then all devices are plugged into the receiver's inputs via HDMI and then the receiver outputs to the speakers.

vonkas

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2003
I second all of the below. The very worst aspect for me is the lack of keyboard input. Re the remote, fortunately the older remotes work and thus you can actually use it in the dark (without gazing to see where your thumb is). Pairing of remotes is also very buggy and gets in the way if you have more than one Apple TV in vicinity (which I have). Sofar overall a disappointment, definitely not worth upgrading from gen 3.

I moved from the 3rd gen ATV to the 4th at the time of release. There are plenty of things that I like about both systems, and feel that they are probably still among the best streaming solutions around. In general, I'm usually a pretty huge apple fan / promoter. But, this thread is for complaints.

* The physically symmetric remote. There is no substantial physical cue for feeling the difference between the remote being held right side up vs. upside down by touch. This leads to frequently experiencing an exit to the home screen when a pause was intended.

* Touch scroll is overly sensitive to false contact. Just picking up the remote incorrectly can lead to the viewing position scrolling wildly across 20-30 minutes of content.

* Siri seems buggy. It seems like it should be one press and then talk, rather than hold to talk (just a preference). Instructions seem to get truncated and misunderstood (with wildly out of context responses) more often than not. Simple things like "turn on subtitles" often don't seem to work. Once Siri responds with a non sequitur, the procedure for discharging the response and getting back to the main view has seemed counter intuitive.

* Aspects of the interface that seem like they should be global are not always propagated effectively into all similar downstream apps. In particular, the Yahoo Screen app is really terrible (I realize this isn't necessarily Apple's fault), with non-standard response. For example, it doesn't provide the inset content preview window while scrolling, which seems like it should be an absolute default. That app in particular also makes strange volume changes for me after pause and resume.

* The text entry system is unbelievably bad, with no ability to use the keyboard on an iPhone.

* The remote app for iPhone is non-functional with the 4th gen. This is apparently being worked on, but should have been release day ready.

* The implementation of login for viewing on apps with a coupled TV subscription is problematic. Again, this may be a burden imposed by the content providers, but it is still a problem. It should be a single login to the content provider, which then provides a list of available apps with permissions. Instead, each app provides its own online code to be entered individually. Furthermore, the SuddenLink (again this may be a particular problem upstream that Apple is not directly responsible for, but it is still a bug in the ecosystem that gives the whole works a feeling of incompetence) provider login is generally not working for me. Actually, it claims to work, but then doesn't, which is worse. For example, if one is using ABCGo to watch "Agents of Shield" (insert your show here) then there is generally a one-week delay lock for new episodes, unless you are logged in. I am logged in, so the episode shows no lock. But, when I try to play a new episode I instead get a cryptic internal error "noAuthz".

* Scrolling is still not as smooth as I hoped. The number one complaint with the 3rd gen was that rewind was difficult, and not easily metered between fast/slow review. Also, there was virtually no caching to allow review of just watched material without rebuffering. This is much improved in the 4th gen, but still not ideal with regards to seamless backups and finely grained rewind/fast forward. The little inset window is a helpful addition, but the process is still not as intuitive and natural and seamless and responsive and precise as I had hoped.

Again, there are plenty of things I think that they got really right, but these nags are limiting my satisfaction with the system overall. Anyone else having a mixed response to the new unit?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
More specific, please.

Yes, the receiver takes all devices including the Apple TVs audio and video and outputs video to the TV audio to the speakers.

This will be a problem for you if your receiver doesn't have HDMI.

You shouldn't consider replacing your receiver to be a chore, but as an upgrade. Much like the ATV3 to ATV4...

Reactions: Robnsn2015

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
I second all of the below. The very worst aspect for me is the lack of keyboard input. Re the remote, fortunately the older remotes work and thus you can actually use it in the dark (without gazing to see where your thumb is). Pairing of remotes is also very buggy and gets in the way if you have more than one Apple TV in vicinity (which I have). Sofar overall a disappointment, definitely not worth upgrading from gen 3.
For me, just having an App Store justifies the 4th generation. Different strokes for different folks, though. By the way, you can use your iPhone or iPad as a keyboard. That's how I did my passwords when I set up the Apple TV. And I have had no problems pairing the remote. In fact, I don't think I even paired the Siri remote, I just started using it.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
Yes, the receiver takes all devices including the Apple TVs audio and video and outputs video to the TV audio to the speakers.

This will be a problem for you if your receiver doesn't have HDMI.

You shouldn't consider replacing your receiver to be a chore, but as an upgrade. Much like the ATV3 to ATV4...
Apple TV or not, it is time to start considering upgrading to HDMI. Apple, like always, is just giving people a push (and pissing them off in the process).

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
I just remembered , what bothers me the most. In the main menu : swipe left - go left, swipe up - go up ... Yet somehow , they've thought that in the multitasking it was a good choice , too. I always , and I mean ALWAYS , swipe to the wrong side in the mustitasking. My mind thinks I'm moving the stripe (akin to iOS6 (and iOS7,8,9 too) multitasking) , and not moving the focus from app to app (such as focus from icon to icon). I know it's just me , but it bothers me. Anyone else has that feeling?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
I just remembered , what bothers me the most. In the main menu : swipe left - go left, swipe up - go up ... Yet somehow , they've thought that in the multitasking it was a good choice , too. I always , and I mean ALWAYS , swipe to the wrong side in the mustitasking. My mind thinks I'm moving the stripe (akin to iOS6 (and iOS7,8,9 too) multitasking) , and not moving the focus from app to app (such as focus from icon to icon). I know it's just me , but it bothers me. Anyone else has that feeling?
I don't understand, sorry.

magga

macrumors regular
May 14, 2009
The lack of optical output is rather annoying, I use a HDMI distribution system, and the sound is dealt with by a separate AV receiver. I previously used the HDMI for the picture and sound for all zones without surround sound, and the optical for the main zone surround sound, through the AV receiver, now I cannot do this, and must buy a HDMI splitter to get sound to the AV receiver, or a HDMI audio extractor.

Reactions: rdolanjr

jbbevan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Heber City, Utah
I have had Apple TV since it began as Steve's "Hobby" in 2007. Thus I have a substantial library in the main three categories: Music, Movies, and TV. It has bugged me ever since "Search" was introduced in Music that that capability does not exist in the other two. I have compensated for that by grouping movies in "Playlists" -- not used as Playlists but as sub-groupings (like all the Star Wars films or Back to the Future or Lord of the Rings...or movies from 1955(!). OK, so Apple TV 4 still doesn't search movies or TV shows. BUT it also won't display video playlists (anymore) and scrolling through 1,400 movies by swiping the touch screen of the remote is carpel tunnel syndrome in one sitting!! The fact that Siri only addresses stuff on the Internet and won't look at my own collection is adding insult to injury. So from a pure utility standpoint with my system and my collection, Apple TV 4 is a step backwards(!). I've owned 8 ATVs over the past 8 years. It is the most used home entertainment device in a long history going back to 1958. But nobody's listening when it comes to making it right for the very people that actually buy media off of the iTunes Store.

PS: And the Composer menu (in Music) is just WRONG. The people who are always interested in "composers" are classical music listeners. When the menu goes: Music/Composer/Song all the "songs" are sorted alphabetically thus breaking up large works like symphonies and particularly operas. If they did it like Artists it would go: Music/Composer/Album/Song which would keep large musical works grouped together properly. For pop-oriented people who really do want to see all the songs, there would be the top menu item in the list of Albums that would "See all songs..." That is the way it is handled by the Remote app on IOS. They do it right. Why is ATV different?

Reactions: babaroga73

colinledlie

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
It doesn't seem to correctly identify my played and unplayed episodes. It generally isn't picking up what has been watched on other devices although sometimes marking as played on Mac shows up on Apple TV. I can watch an episode on the apple TV and it won't mark it as played.

At present I am finding the TV organisation via My Computers better than the App on the ATV.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I normally do not buy iTunes TV Shows (only movies). However, my wife likes Downton Abby so I bought those. First I bought her the Season 1-4 package and then she liked it so much we bought Season 5 when it came out. And just recently bought Season 6. She had a hard time finding the first episode of Seasons 6 until I took a look at it.

1. They only have 1 icon which is the Season 1-4 icon.
2. They only show 1 line for ALL of the Seasons and Episodes.
3. At first test I thought it started with Season 5 then Season 1-4 then Season 6 but after testing again on a second TV I see that it shows them in order. So you click on the 1-4 icon and they start with S1E1 and scroll right until you find Season 6.

Anyway, as little as I use it I can handle it but this seems crazy. I had considered buying TV Shows as part of a cord cutting plan but this is pretty bad. They really need to put some effort into this. I am ok with all seasons on 1 icon but once you open it then it should be organized by season.

rdolanjr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
I'd give ATV4 a C+.
Most updates were to benefit Apple and not the user. Things I'd like enhanced - in order of importance to me:
1) Photos/Slideshow - Apple finally got me committed to their platform with Photos and Sharing and Cloud Storage. BUT - the slideshow sucks. I have 5,000 family photos in a shared album and it shuffles about 200 at a time. WTH?
2) Remote - too sensitive, no keypad and I can't even use Siri to enter my passwords
3) Optical Out - again, I committed to Apple/iTunes platform and now I can't play my music throughout my home because there is no optical out for Zone 2. Thus I am forced back to Pandora and a different device.

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
I just bought and setup the ATV4, at first glance i thought it was a fresh and well needed upgrade to ATV3.
Once I started messing around with functionality, playing movies, and music, pushing content from iPhone to the screen I realized a few things...

1-Yes the remote is extremely sensitive, you can reduce the sensitivity to low but that is very slow. I'll try it again

2-The remote does take some getting used to. My media room is a bit dark and for a reason, so I often find myself pressing the mic (siri) button instead of the menu button. Will take some time to get used to I guess. and the scrolling of movies when accidentally swiping the touch screen was a surprise. I have to be careful with that.

3-Siri doesn't work that well yet, saying things like (hey what did she just say) like in the Apple demo didn't work for iTunes movies that I purchased.

4-Siri doesn't also work for searching music. I know they said that's coming.

5-My system strictly uses HDMI so I don't care for the optical out not being there. I love the 7.1 output but my issue is all the digital content for movies on Itunes is only encoded in 5.1. So when will i ever be able to watch these movies as intended?

This is just the beginning and i trust Apple will solve a lot of the issues in future releases, just like iOS and Watch OS.
For now I will enjoy the various apps that I downloaded and finally I get the freedom to install what ever app I want :)

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
More specific, please.

You can get a small box that will take an HDMI input and split off an optical digital audio output in addition to an HDMI output. This is an inexpensive and completely satisfactory alternative to replacing your receiver.
[doublepost=1452116912][/doublepost]
So, how do you ... close apps?

Double click the home button, sweep left or right to select the app to close, sweep up to close it, much like on iOS.

Bananas Ananas

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
I have no choice but to watch the next unwatched episode without knowing ahead the description of the episode. This is a problem because there may be episodes between Season 1 and 8 that I've come to an end but hit stop right away, which didn't mark the entire episode watched. I had to go on the laptop and marked all of them as watched up to the episode I last watched. Not only that, after every episode, I have to wait and let it end by itself.

If TV 4 works similarly to the last generation, you can hold menu button on the watched episode until a menu, in which you can check the episode as watched, appears. I don't have an TV 4 myself, so I don't know with certainty. Though, with the touchpad and all on the new remote, Apple should come up with something more intuitive.

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
More specific, please.

All technology gets old and will need to be replaced one day. IF 4k is the future as many predict.... You will need a new receiver to pair with all your other equipment that support 4k.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So just got mine:

- Whenever you switch between accounts in iTunes, and you then access music you have to enable iCloud Music Library again.
- No way to switch between iCloud accounts, so we are stuck with 1 account in the house hold for iCloud Photo Library.

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
You can map the "Home" button to a Harmony remote?

Sorry, missed that detail up thread. I have a harmony remote that will do a lot of the ATV remote functions, but not so much the Siri and touchpad functions. You could easily get by using the harmony remote and leave the ATV remote in a drawer most of the time, but it does seem silly to dispense with it altogether. That makes about as much sense as buying a 4x4 work truck and immediately replacing the wheels with a set from a Mini. A person can probably drive around town o.k., but they've hobbled the 'work' part of the truck.
[doublepost=1452186441][/doublepost][doublepost=1452186379][/doublepost]
All technology gets old and will need to be replaced one day. IF 4k is the future as many predict.... You will need a new receiver to pair with all your other equipment that support 4k.

Sure, but some people would like to bridge the gap. 4K content is pretty limited right now, and ATV doesn't even offer it. (Heck for many viewing applications scenarios, a 1080 to 4k upgrade really doesn't get you much.) I'd rather spend $26 for a box that will split off SPDIF audio and keep the otherwise perfectly functional receiver/amp for a few more years. I may be old fashioned, but I bought a Bluetooth adapter for car audio, rather than replacing the car soon as they started making them with Bluetooth built in. Then I replaced the adapter with a new one when Bluetooth v4.x came out. That right there has saved me the price of two cars. Imagine what I've saved up for the next big full upgrade!

P.S. I don't know why this thing keeps merging posts. Maybe I need an upgrade.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.