Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
One would think that you would be more happy and less irritable with your current choice of phone? I mean, you got a slightly higher DPI, and the only trade offs were a much larger device with a smaller screen and slower CPU and less RAM, etc...

So why are you such an angry person?

Perchance you need more fiber in your diet? Give that a try and see if it improves your disposition....

nayf72

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
I agree with you on the obvious difference in screen clarity between the Xr and 7/8plus screens, but I don't see why it bothers and upsets you that other people spend their money on the Xr.
It's their money, not yours, and if they're happy with their Xr, good for them. In the end that's the only thing that really matters.

I’m not upset or bothered. Just calling out the people that are chatting BS.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I agree with you on the obvious difference in screen clarity between the Xr and 7/8plus screens, but I don't see why it bothers and upsets you that other people spend their money on the Xr.
It's their money, not yours, and if they're happy with their Xr, good for them. In the end that's the only thing that really matters.

The clarity he speaks of is largely placebo... After a certain PPI, the human eye can't tell the difference unless your phone is held up to your eye, like in a VR headset...

What he is calling "clarity" has more to do with the higher resolution of the XR series making fonts smaller and harder to read, which is a few clicks to address...

nayf72

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Angry? Not at all. You seem way more bothered.

One would think that you would be more happy and less irritable with your current choice of phone? I mean, you got a slightly higher DPI, and the only trade offs were a much larger device with a smaller screen and slower CPU and less RAM, etc...

So why are you such an angry person?

Perchance you need more fiber in your diet? Give that a try and see if it improves your disposition....

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think it’s yourself that is justifying buying a turkey of a phone.

Obviously didn’t read

[doublepost=1542827358][/doublepost]

Liverpool fans on the whole are deluded. And that is speaking from years of experience.

Next year will be your year.

I’m not deluded about Liverpool either, I’ve experienced disappointment for many years and don’t get offended by negative generalisations lol.

I don’t need to justify the XR as I don’t even own it, just sharing my observations. My 8+ is good enough for my needs for the next couple of years. I don’t buy phones to impress other people, they are a personal and business tool for me. :)

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ok ‘expert’. 5% difference, Android this Android that, blah blah blah.

Sweetie, just let it go... Instead of being Literal Larry and still getting it wrong, how about you just accept that many of us who have had the higher PPI AMOLED displays, have looked at and used them both, just don't see much of a difference? Whether it is 5% or 10%, it hardly justifies a 40% hike in price to many people. I know that on PAPER, the difference is more, but in actual usage? Not so much...

Now go troll someone else, Mr Silly Sausage....

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
The clarity he speaks of is largely placebo... After a certain PPI, the human eye can't tell the difference unless your phone is held up to your eye, like in a VR headset...

What he is calling "clarity" has more to do with the higher resolution of the XR series making fonts smaller and harder to read, which is a few clicks to address...

It's not placebo. It's real. Maybe you don't see it but I do. It's not pixels that you can discern, its fuzziness.

nayf72

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Sweetie, just let it go... Instead of being Literal Larry and still getting it wrong, how about you just accept that many of us who have had the higher PPI AMOLED displays, have looked at and used them both, just don't see much of a difference? Whether it is 5% or 10%, it hardly justifies a 40% hike in price to many people. I know that on PAPER, the difference is more, but in actual usage? Not so much...

Now go troll someone else, Mr Silly Sausage

Now go troll someone else, Mr Silly Sausage....

Pot kettle and all that coming from the grade A troll. Moron was being polite.

Please do everyone a favour and go back to your beloved Android phones. You know the ones that you can use with a glove on! Pah ha, what a melt.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I always laugh about bezel size complaints when we all were using a phone with huge chins and foreheads just a few years ago. The bezels on the XR are significantly less compared to what we were using a few short years ago. I guess its a matter of how we see the glass...half empty or half full?

Heck I remember looking for a functional payphone within 8 blocks of the deli when I needed help deciphering my roommate's handwriting on a takeout order, so... yeah. I graduated to glass way more than half-full viewpoints right about when unboxing the original iPhone.

On the new ones, I like the XR. I am more than possibly influenced by the colors, the red one in particular. But, I'm hanging onto my SE as it's still working. And, there's always the chance Tim Cook reads this and makes a smaller red XRse or some similar sop to us who prefer smaller form factors, down the road. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Raist3001

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Pot kettle and all that coming from the grade A troll. Moron was being polite.

Please do everyone a favour and go back to your beloved Android phones. You know the ones that you can use with a glove on! Pah ha, what a melt.

Hey, they do work with gloves, what can I say? Just because you are a fan of paying a premium for 2015 tech, doesn't make you a bad person, right?

The XR strikes a good balance between cost and functionality. Plus, the XR should be faster in games, because the lower resolution won't tax the GPU's fillrate capacity as much.

I give each platform credit where credit is due. Its the true fanboys like you that take this MY TEAM approach and there is no middle ground, hence why you react strongly and emotionally when someone doesn't share your narrow view of things.

Use what makes you happy, and stop whinging...
[doublepost=1542830982][/doublepost]
Heck I remember looking for a functional payphone within 8 blocks of the deli when I needed help deciphering my roommate's handwriting on a takeout order, so... yeah. I graduated to glass way more than half-full viewpoints right about when unboxing the original iPhone.

On the new ones, I like the XR. I am more than possibly influenced by the colors, the red one in particular. But, I'm hanging onto my SE as it's still working. And, there's always the chance Tim Cook reads this and makes a smaller red XRse or some similar sop to us who prefer smaller form factors, down the road. :rolleyes:

I went with the red as well, although the color doesn't matter much unless you have a clear case... Of course, silver would have been better to reduce scratches around the lightning port... Oh well, it does look pretty sick in red.
[doublepost=1542831249][/doublepost]
It's not placebo. It's real. Maybe you don't see it but I do. It's not pixels that you can discern, its fuzziness.

I wonder if you had a wonky phone? My wife and I had 8+'s... I actually had two of them, and I can't say that it looked better than the XR.

At the end of the day, it's a phone, it only has to be so good in my opinion. It's not a status symbol like it is to some... Rule of thumb on status symbols... if the average person can walk in and buy it, then it isn't a status symbol...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But, I'm hanging onto my SE as it's still working. And, there's always the chance Tim Cook reads this and makes a smaller red XRse or some similar sop to us who prefer smaller form factors, down the road. :rolleyes:

Realistically, the days of the smaller iPhones are obviously behind us. But I still think Apple might have something in store in the future for a 5 inch iPhone, it may not resemble the form factor with the SE, but I still think it would appease to the demographic that ultimately is not interested in the latest price tags with superflorous tech that’s not appreciated.

In the 2016 March keynote, Greg Joswiak (VP of marketing) mentioned that they returned the iPhone SE because it was heavily requested, which means Apple was listening. And if they truly value the consumer, they need to be under the realization to be dynamic as much as they can with their iPhone lineup.

Reactions: LizKat

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Realistically, the days of the smaller iPhones are obviously behind us. But I still think Apple might have something in store in the future for a 5 inch iPhone, it may not resemble the form factor with the SE, but I still think it would appease to the demographic that ultimately is not interested in the latest price tags with superflorous tech that’s not appreciated.

In the 2016 March keynote, Greg Joswiak (VP of marketing) mentioned that they returned the iPhone SE because it was heavily requested, which means Apple was listening. And if they truly value the consumer, they need to be under the realization to be dynamic as much as they can with their iPhone lineup.

I get the appeal of small phones for convenience, but the truth is that when phones were just for making calls and sending a text, the screens were small. Now that people are using them for social media, watching TV, playing games, etc... the screens and phones have to be bigger.

Nowadays, the "phone" part is just a checklist item... I mean we buy them to make calls, but that's almost secondary, you know?

Reactions: AppleWes

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I get the appeal of small phones for convenience, but the truth is that when phones were just for making calls and sending a text, the screens were small. Now that people are using them for social media, watching TV, playing games, etc... the screens and phones have to be bigger.

Nowadays, the "phone" part is just a checklist item... I mean we buy them to make calls, but that's almost secondary, you know?

Maybe not secondary for the entire market, which now does overlap with that for tablets in particular. In a maturing market especially, it's worth drilling down into customer preferences and usage, seeking to deter even a small shift among those who may look for (and find) satisfaction elsewhere, no matter if the issue is about function, cosmetics, service, financing, etc.

Apple's not wrong to consider refreshing the SE since it's already had that form factor out there and found it profitable. Maybe today if they were just attempting to enter the smartphone market they would not go there, i.e. the recent market has seemed to favor larger phones. But they've already been there with the SE and met success with it, so the expense of a cold startup along that line (including initial research on demand) is behind them already.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Maybe not secondary for the entire market, which now does overlap with that for tablets in particular. In a maturing market especially, it's worth drilling down into customer preferences and usage, seeking to deter even a small shift among those who may look for (and find) satisfaction elsewhere, no matter if the issue is about function, cosmetics, service, financing, etc.

Apple's not wrong to consider refreshing the SE since it's already had that form factor out there and found it profitable. Maybe today if they were just attempting to enter the smartphone market they would not go there, i.e. the recent market has seemed to favor larger phones. But they've already been there with the SE and met success with it, so the expense of a cold startup along that line (including initial research on demand) is behind them already.

I don't know the answer to that. If people want cheaper, smaller phones, there are plenty of options outside of Apple.

I mean, Apple was the last one to arrive at the "big phone" party, after fighting against it for years and losing to the competition. And seeing their success with the larger phones, I am not sure they have any interest in going back.

I understand why people WANT them, and it would be nice to see them come out with a smaller phone, maybe an "XR Mini" or something like that... But they now have 3 models being sold, are they likely to have a 4th to sell and support, have apps possibly need to be tweaked for the different displays?

Everyone points to Android and says "Fragmentation!" but Apple is going down a similar path of late... The cause might be different, but the result could end up being the same...

I wonder if merely cranking out iPhone 8's, and simply dropping the price and calling it something else, would do the trick? Lowering their margins on an existing phone with existing production lines, would probably be better than trying to turn a profit on a new design that may or may not sell well, right? Plus, all the apps and support is already there...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
^^ Apple's announcement that it will not formally publish regular iPhone sales figures in future earnings reports would suggest that it's already moving on from iPhone as the main prop under its raison d'etre. That was a subtle way (maybe) of saying so. Analysts find the recent and apparent cutback in planned new iPhone output somewhat less subtle.

Anyway, we don't know yet what Apple really thinks the Next Big Gear Thing is, assuming it's gear and not services, and you're quite right that people who prefer a smaller phone can go somewhere else. The question is whether they take their penchant for other Apple gear --and their tolerance for the walled garden-- with them when they leave. There's surely a fair amount of research done on that issue whenever Apple contemplates dropping either a model or a product line altogether.

I figure that's one reason they haven't quite extinguished the iPod touch, for instance. One has to look for it under Music now rather than on the top line at Apple's website, but the 6th gen is still offered new and in the Apple refurbs store as well, even though it's been a languishing creature for so long now. Why does it sit there? As a placeholder, and maybe a beacon of hope to some subset of Apple gear consumers who for whatever reason still miss their dedicated music player.

It may be less a matter of Apple catering to an iPod touch user, or a smartphone user who likes the smaller form factor of the SE... maybe more they figure not killing the thing off will help keep that user in the walled garden regarding his other computing gear, or the other retail options --music, video, books-- that he's grown accustomed to getting from under Apple's roof. After all, if I revert to some other kind of cellphone, I might end up drifting off to some other brand of laptop next time I'm in that market.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I dunno... Part of the reason that Android dominates 86% of the global smartphone market is because they have many offerings, especially lower priced smaller devices for emerging markets. Not everyone wants to spend $1000+ on a large iPhone, especially in nations with less economic status than the US... To them, that might be a couple months of wages, where here that might be less than a week's pay...

I think Apple should play down market. Other boutique brands, like Harley Davidson, have made that plunge as group of people willing to pay top dollar for a product that technologically lagged behind the competition, was shrinking... fast. The logo was no longer enough to justify spending 2x as much, on 1980s technology... So they are now selling smaller, more mass produced entry level machines...

Maybe Apple will do the same?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I dunno... Part of the reason that Android dominates 86% of the global smartphone market is because they have many offerings, especially lower priced smaller devices for emerging markets. Not everyone wants to spend $1000+ on a large iPhone, especially in nations with less economic status than the US... To them, that might be a couple months of wages, where here that might be less than a week's pay...

I think Apple should play down market. Other boutique brands, like Harley Davidson, have made that plunge as group of people willing to pay top dollar for a product that technologically lagged behind the competition, was shrinking... fast. The logo was no longer enough to justify spending 2x as much, on 1980s technology... So they are now selling smaller, more mass produced entry level machines...

Maybe Apple will do the same?

I wouldn't mind if they did keep some less expensive options on the shelves. Maybe a little thicker, too... and a little less prone to getting bent or malfunctioning over what a lot of people here on planet earth may figure is ordinary use... :)

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn't mind if they did keep some less expensive options on the shelves. Maybe a little thicker, too... and a little less prone to getting bent or malfunctioning over what a lot of people here on planet earth may figure is ordinary use... :)

You mean telling you to not put it in your pocket, or when the reception drops, telling you that you are "holding it wrong" isn't a viable "fix" to a faulty design? haha

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
I having been using my XR for some time, and came from using iphone 7 (work) and 5s (personal). below are my experience about a few things that i think nobody talked about. i know the points are mostly negative, but this isnt a full review, so i dont mean to say that XR is a bad phone.

1) the phone feels clunky even when compared to other phablets like note 8. my brother has a note 8, which has almost the same weight and is technically thicker (8.6mm note 8 vs 8.3mm XR, but XR body is actually even thinner if we exclude the protruding camera). the note feels much better in my hands, probably because of the smaller width and the tapered infinity edge

2) the bezel is huge (not the notch, i didnt notice that at all even when i just got the phone, mainly because the content in most apps start below the notch, so your focus is below the notch) most reviews say the bezel is fine unless you come from iphone XS, but i disagree. i have no problems with the top and bottom bezels. it's the size bezels. i placed it side by side with my iphone 5s and it's significant bigger. i understand the desire to have an uniform bezel all around, but i think it isnt such a great idea when your bezels are as thick as XR's. idk if it's technologically possible, but it will be great if apple could reduce side bezel, which will also reduces the width (see point 1)

3) i got a black XR, and the paint on aluminium sides chipped on the first day. idk how easily they chip or if it's just the black, recall the iphone 7 jet black, but if you are worried, then get black, because i covered up the chip easily with a black marker. i thinking white with its silver sides is a good choice too. however, with a black XR, you can see the fine strands of dust very clearly

4) faceid generally works well, but i do have a problem when i using my phone right after waking up. i usually grab my phone before my spectacles, so i have to bring the phone rather close to my face to see clearly. As faceid dont work with the screen too close to my face, it's a weird experience because i cant see if faceid has unlocked my phone, so i just have to trust that it worked, but there are times when faceid failed
From a 5s to an XR and you’re really trying to complain about the bezels?!?! The delusion just jumped out!

Last edited:

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
It boggles the mind... a tiny bezel triggers the same people who ignore that there is a significant chunk missing from the top of their screen... LOL
Tbh neither bother me. I came from a 8+ to the XR and I want to know how the bezels or too really bother you so bad when the old models all have a huge top and bottom bezel. I get being a tech geek, but people just love to complain about everything and it’s ridiculous

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Tbh neither bother me. I came from a 8+ to the XR and I want to know how the bezels or too really bother you so bad when the old models all have a huge top and bottom bezel. I get being a tech geek, but people just love to complain about everything and it’s ridiculous

Yeah, I mean, if bezels bothered these people so much, then why are they even with Apple?

They should have jumped ship and left Apple in 2015 when Samsung and others introduced really small bezels...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.