Things NOT to do to avoid restoring phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JayHD, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JayHD macrumors member

I now have a new phone running 4.3.3, with no SHSH blobs saved.

For users in my situation who will NOT have the option to restore to 4.3.3 should something go awry, could some of you recommend what jailbreak tweaks to absolutely stay away from?

For instance, I'm terrified to mess with Winterboard or any themes. I'm reluctant to do the "commcenter hack" to hide my tethering. I can't see how cosmetic plist changes could cause any problems, but I'm reluctant to go there either. I even want to limit shutdowns from the battery dying, to just prevent a boot loop, however unlikely that would be.

What would YOU not do if you were terrified of having to restore your iPhone?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

to be safe avoid adding any sources, if you stick with the default ones you should be safe

3. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Use ifaith to get 4.3.3 shsh blobs from device

4. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Isn't iFaith pretty much the same as tinyumbrella? I can't save SHSH blobs unless Apple is currently signing that firmware, right?

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

They're not the same. iFaith can apparently save blobs for the firmware that's on the phone.

As for the rest--don't mess with system files, don't download cracked apps, avoid anthing marked "beta", and don't be the first to apply the latest and greatest tweaks. Let others find the bugs for you. Seriously, that's all I've done, and knock on wood, I've not had to restore in a year of being JB'd with a pretty heavily themed phone. It's not hard to maintain as long as you take the time to research stuff before you put it on your phone.

Congrats on getting a replacement with 4.3.3!

6. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Thanks IrishVixen. This iFaith news is a surprise to me - it seems like tinyumbrella would have included this functionality if it was possible to do.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I know--I still tend to be more than a bit dubious on it myself because the Dev has a rep for buggy software, but reliable sources have said it does work in most cases. If you have access to a PC (no Mac version, unfortunately), it's worth looking into, anyway.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Don't install anything sketchy. Install only trusted sources and don't use a whole lot of apps or tweaks.

9. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

I ran iFaith, everything worked correctly, a confirmation popped up in iTunes, then immediately the phone ended up back in recovery mode.

How can I prevent this?

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If you add the most well know sources that has been around for awhile, you should have nothing to worry about when in comes to messing up Cydia.

I never had any problems with Winterboard. I don't really mess with full themes tho, just minor tweaks.

I've been pretty reckless trying out tons of differ types of apps & tweaks from many sources, most of which I don't keep. The only time I had ever had to restore was after I installed a NES rom pack, and that was about two years ago when I was using the 3GS.

I have plenty of tweaks & JB apps on my iP4. I've also changed/edited all of the original text tone sounds & the menu names.

Besides that one time on the 3GS that I mentioned. I seem to have no problems at all except the occasional rebooting into safe mode which only happens about once every two months, reboot again and everything is fine.

I just don't understand the Paranoia. You should really save SHSH blobs if your that concerned.

11. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

I do save SSH blobs, but I have a replacement iphone and Apple isn't signing 4.3.3 anymore. I tried iFaith, followed everything perfectly, the firmware installs, then instead of booting it kicks me back to recovery. So right now, instead of jailbreaking 4.3.3 tonight, I'm trying desperately to avoid going to 4.3.5 instead.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well I still think your a bit paranoid, but I understand what your saying.

I wouldn't use "Jailbreakme" to jailbreak. I heard of too many people having multiple problems after doing so, even in these MR threads. I used "Redsnow" and had no problems at all on 4.3.3 which I'm still on.

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Given that he's already in a recovery loop, he's hardly being paranoid.

OP--have you tried TU or RecBoot to kick the device out of recovery? I think TU's got a "FixRecovery" tool now that might be a separate download.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you tried to install custom firmware through iFaith. Nothing I've read shows that you should need to do that in order to simply dump the blobs, so I'm a bit confused as to what's going on. Did it ask you where on the computer to save the blobs, and if so, are they there?

We have a couple of people who've used this tool numerous times; hopefully one will be online soon.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I was against JBme at first too and while I will agree that Redsn0w is infinitely better, JBme has been patched and is functional. I used it on a non-primary device, and the only problem I had was the respring circle on the springboard. But that just goes away after a swipe to another page.

15. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I got my wifes phone replaced and it came with 4.3.3. I used ifaith to get the blobs and make a pre signed ipsw. It crashed in parallels on my mac but worked fine on my windows pc.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's user error. A little bit of research would have steered him away from iFaith.

You can see I was mainly talking about app & tweaks. Not iFaith which is know to cause users to get stuck in DFU mode while loading FW.

Is there still a problem with Bitesms after using JBme?

17. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

You have to go into DFU for iFaith to dump the SSH and created the signed ipsw. I was hoping to simply do that then boot the phone.

I tried using TU, iReb, and FixRecovery to stop the recovery loop, to no avail. Tonight I'm going to try everything on a different PC. After that fails, I'll probably have no choice but to install 4.3.5. Bummer.

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Nope. :)

19. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Since I've taken this way off topic with my personal problem, I'm starting a new thread to specifically address my iFaith problems.

20. Jigga macrumors 6502

I'm having issues with my phone (4.2.8). If I had it swapped out at Apple and it came with a newer OS, will iFaith allow me to restore to an earlier OS?
    I'm familiar with the shsh blobs with TinyUmbrella but was hoping ifaith would allow this.

21. iFiend macrumors 65816

iFaith only allows you to dump the blobs for the firmware that the phone is currrently on. So if you go to Apple, and get a replacement with 4.2.9, you're SOL. But, if you get one that has 4.2.8, you can save the blobs for that firmware, and create a presigned IPSW that will let you restore to that firmware even though Apple is not signing it.

My experience is with GSM iPhones so you may want to do some research since I have no idea about VZW.

I bought a brand new white iPhone 4 and it came with 4.3.3 on it :) I felt so lucky! I pulled the blobs but haven't had to restore to it (I am jailbroken on iOS 5 beta 4)

22. Jigga macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response!
    Any experience with replacements from Apple? Do you think they update the software or will I have some luck?

23. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

About a week ago they were reported to be still shipping with 4.2.8/4.3.3 but the longer you wait, the more likely you'll get one that's on a higher firmware.

24. Jigga macrumors 6502

uh oh, I wonder how to pull this off.
    What if they give me one, any way to get out of it?

25. iFiend macrumors 65816

This

I highly recommend you go ASAP. I got my white ip4 a week ago today and I felt lucky to have gotten 4.3.3 (although I imagine that they sell less white ones, which may have led to my luck)