Things that make you go Hmmmm! or WTF! depending on your personal language filter.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Jun 11, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

So, here's where you can put that crazy stuff that you just don't understand or annoys you terribly. I mean, c'mon, we all have things that we look at and say, "why is that like that and who thought that was a good idea!"

Here's a big one that's been bugging me lately.

Phone Keypad
    [​IMG]

Numeric Computer or Calculator Keypad
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

:eek: :mad: :confused:
    Whose bright idea was it to invert these and why? I mean it, seriously! Do you know how hard it is to memorize both patterns and then try to be a touch typist when the keys are inverted like this?!? I'm naturally better at the numeric keypad due to years of computer use and if I don't concentrate I instinctively use that memory map when I try to touch type a phone number on my work phone.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that went awry from the beginning and at this point there is no way to undo what has been done. Damn you numeric keypad inventor and telephone keypad inventor, why couldn't you two agree on a common standard!

I don't expect anyone else to share my neuroses, but what about you? What confuses and confounds you to the point where you just want to break something.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Braille on drive-up ATMs. I just don't get it.

In fact, drive-up ATMs should serve as a vision test. They should make the text and buttons small enough that if you can see it, you have 20/20 vision, and if you can't see it, you better go get your eyes checked before doing any more driving. And do the same with the giant menus at the McDonalds drive-thru.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have to agree with you 100%. I see no reason for braile drive-up ATMs. In fact, the sole existance of them scares me in a way.

4. ethical macrumors 68000

The difference with numeric keypads and phones though is that for the phone you're holding it and only moving your thumbs...whereas with the keypad you're (or at least I am) using all your fingers and not really your thumbs.

Difference muscle usage so difference muscle memory...I've never found it a problem.

5. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

^^^ Yes and no.

I agree that my memory road map seems to be direcly affected by my hand positioning. For example when I use a mobile or traditionl phone i'm usually dialing with one finger or a thumb and that triggers the 123 pattern in my head. But, when i lay three fingers across the middle numbers like you would typically do with a number pad it trigger the 789 pattern in my head.

Rememer not all phones are cell phones and in today's computer world sometimes you are using the phone through the computer . My work phone is one of those fancy Avaya things that is smarter than me. It sits off to the right of my computer and is raised to allow easy access. When I'm calling I'm usually looking at data on my computer screen and just reaching over to touch dial the number with one hand. It's just more natural for me to lay my three fingers across it like a numerical keypad and thus the synapse and neuron trainwreck in my brain ensues.

A friend showed me this link that gives a brief history of the number pad differences. Thanks for the history lesson robbie.

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

someone that is blind could use the ATM from the back seat. Just because you are blind doesn't mean you should have to give up your banking information.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I too hate the difference between phone pads and numeric pads.

Braille on ATMs in general are for blind people (duh). But what if my grandmother was blind and she needed to run her card for money but didn't want to tell me that password..?

I don't know that still sounds kind of iffy.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Braille on ATMs I get. Braille on drive-up ATMs I don't get.

9. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I'm pretty sure the actual reason is to save money manufacturing two machines. One with braille for regular ATMs and one without for the drive through kind. Having braille doesn't hurt, so it's easier to just make all of the machines the same.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Frankly I think I was in my mid-twenties when I first consciously realized the difference, yet I'd been happily using both types of keypads for years without a problem.

It's a quirk, sure, but you get used to it.

11. ethical macrumors 68000

Ahh I didn't think about that. Was only considering mobile phones.

I'll be honest....it was this thread that led me to consciously realize it :p
    When I read it I went "ohhh yeah", out loud!

12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It's simple economics; it's expensive and time consuming to tool up. Why tool up twice to make one set of buttons for normal ATMs and another for drive-up?

AppleMatt

13. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Numbers and letters on rotary dial phones. Yes, I'm that old... This seriously pre-dates texting. The convention exists on cordless phones, also.
    The top is US and the bottom is German.

Dale

Attached Files:

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Women getting the right to vote. I'm mean, really?!?

15. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

According to this Wikipedia article, americans used the letters instead of the two first digits, as to make it simpler to remember. For example, instead of 555-1234, they would have said KLondike-5-1234 (as K and L both point to 5 on the dial). ;)

16. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm very certain if they didn't put Braille on drive-up ATMs someone somewhere would get pissed and start some sort of law suit, because that is how society is now-a-days.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

19. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Was in the car and thought of this. Why is it that in movies, the police always get pictures from stake outs in black and white?