Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I'm a developer that has filed over two dozen bugs. Almost all of them have not been triaged yet or commented on. I'm very concerned that the backlog of issues filed is tremendously large and that we'll likely resort towards frequent firmware updates in the coming months. At this point I do not think iOS7 is ready for release and it's a shame since they are under deadline this month.

Of course is not ready, still a beta, and exactly what deadline you are talking about???

AaronMT

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Toronto
Of course is not ready, still a beta, and exactly what deadline you are talking about???

They have a milestone target date this month for release-candidate builds. Yes it's still beta but they have to draw the line for release management at some point. I would imagine that point is sometime this or next week. I'm just concerned that the backlog of open perhaps non-reproducible bugs for this vast a change as is iOS7 is still too large for comfort.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
They have a milestone target date this month for release-candidate builds. Yes it's still beta but they have to draw the line for release management at some point. I would imagine that point is sometime this or next week. I'm just concerned that the backlog of open perhaps non-reproducible bugs for this vast a change as is iOS7 is still too large for comfort.

Don't you worry, don't let it ruin your sunday, Apple is not rushing anything, if anything.

September 10th is a rumor and not an official release date for the GM, even if the 10th is when they release the GM, it's because the GM is ready, if Apple sees that the GM will not be ready for the 10th, guess what, they can release it a week later or so.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well when I was on it..

+Safari was unusable.
+Calendar was hard to read.
+Podcasts wouldn't work.
+Fast forwarding and rewinding any videos caused immediate crash
+Maps Siri would repeat things over and over
+Cannot switch between apps quickly

I'm sure there's more. And if all of this gets fixed in a couple weeks, I'll be surprised.

Good luck.

Havent seen any of this in beta 6. Safari works perfectly. Calendar reads fine. Videos not crashing for me. App switching seems spot on. Podcasts is a separate app, so that will only be fixed by a seperate app update. Additionally, once we hit GM, apples beta debug code will be out of the build so things will be less buggy.

Joaolx

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2013
Europe
Havent seen any of this in beta 6. Safari works perfectly. Calendar reads fine. Videos not crashing for me. App switching seems spot on. Podcasts is a separate app, so that will only be fixed by a seperate app update. Additionally, once we hit GM, apples beta debug code will be out of the build so things will be less buggy.

The problems he describes where the problems I had on my iPad in beta 2/3. Right now in beta 6 it's even faster than iOS 6, at least that's my experience.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The problems he describes where the problems I had on my iPad in beta 2/3. Right now in beta 6 it's even faster than iOS 6, at least that's my experience.

Yea I was referring to the op who said this was on an iPhone 5 on beta 6.

And I too had similar issues back in beta 2/3 w/iPhone 5...so the OP's claim these issues were with beta 6 just cannot be true.

One note: Podcasts app is not included with iOS, but found in the app store...at some point Apple updated the Podcasts app (somewhere around beta 4/5), and since updating the app in my phone it has worked fine for me.

Joaolx

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2013
Europe
And I too had similar issues back in beta 2/3 w/iPhone 5...so the OP's claim these issues were with beta 6 just cannot be true.

One note: Podcasts app is not included with iOS, but found in the app store...at some point Apple updated the Podcasts app (somewhere around beta 4/5), and since updating the app in my phone it has worked fine for me.

I had the same problem and it was a problem the beta that crashed the Podcasts apps but it was solved with a beta update, at least for me.
Now I don't understand how he can still have this problems with beta 6. I have it running on my iPad which acording to the forums has more bugs and yet Safari is smooth and fast, Multitasking is way faster than iOS 6, Podcasts doesn't crash, no problem with video playback and no problem in the calendar.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Safari seems to have a issue on mobile versions of sites that have video embedded in it. For example sites like macrumors with a video embedded in the post on the forum message thread.

Messages does not detect if the receiver is a iOS device to send a message via iMessage vs SMS/TXT. If the receiver is already in the messages app (history) as a iOS device it will know to send as a iMessage.

Organizing the placement of categories in Notification Center is a little screwy, but it does work with beta 6.

Alerts just do not seem complete/done, but that is a personal gripe. :)

Some third party apps still fail, but that is already know. Developers may need to update there software or Apple has some API bugs.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Lyrics are still messed up. I haven't tried syncing music from my iMac, but music from iTunes Match shows double-spaced line breaks on about 80% of my tracks (tagged manually and/or using lyric widget in Dashboard).

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Well when I was on it..

+Safari was unusable.
+Calendar was hard to read.
+Podcasts wouldn't work.
+Fast forwarding and rewinding any videos caused immediate crash
+Maps Siri would repeat things over and over
+Cannot switch between apps quickly

I'm sure there's more. And if all of this gets fixed in a couple weeks, I'll be surprised.

Good luck.

Ok, when were you 'on it' and on which device?

I'm running beta 6 on iPhone 5 and iPad 4:
Safari, perfect
Calendar, more than readable
Podcasts, listening to them as I type.
Video playback/navigation, perfect, even home sharing is fixed from ios6
Siri map navigation, works fine.
App switching, fine either by gesture or home button.

If these things were broken I would be back on iOS 6 in a heartbeat.

After upgrading from iOS 6 to iOS 7 beta 6 I had to reset settings so that the iTunes and app stores would work. It also fixed an issue with the photos app.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I find it odd how people deny there are problems in the latest beta, yet Apple still lists known issues...

Nobody is denying there are issues in beta 6. People are simply discussing issues the OP mentioned and it appears many people aren't experiencing them. The OP hasn't posted details so it's anyone's guess why he's having them.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Am I the only one with a smooth Beta on iPad? Everyday I read problems that I never had.
My experience with Beta 6 on my iPad has been better than iOS 6 except battery life which is expected. But beyond that, multitasking is faster and one or two apps that sometimes used to crash in iOS 6 have never crashed in iOS 7.

+1 …

I have 7 on an iPad 2 and an iPad 3. The bugs I reported back in beta 1 have been fixed in beta 6, except an issue in SiriusXM. I think that is an application failure and expect it to be addressed by SiriusXM in an update.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
The fact is that no one knows whats been fixed between beta 6 and GM.. Lets not make assumptions.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Does GMs include any fixes or new features since the last beta? Or will it be the same?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does GMs include any fixes or new features since the last beta? Or will it be the same?

It is the release version, so yes, there will be many fixes. The last real beta update we received, beta 5, was probably finished nearly 2 months ago. Apple has been working internally since then, so rest assured the final product should be much improved.

There may or may not be new features, no one knows. For that, we'll have to wait until Tuesday to see.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It is the release version, so yes, there will be many fixes. The last real beta update we received, beta 5, was probably finished nearly 2 months ago. Apple has been working internally since then, so rest assured the final product should be much improved.

There may or may not be new features, no one knows. For that, we'll have to wait until Tuesday to see.

Exactly. When beta 5 was released, it was already at least a week behind what Apple had internally, GM will see a significant improvement on beta 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.