Things that will be in the IPAD 3: Guaranteed.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Masterkona, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Masterkona, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Masterkona macrumors member

The revamped IPAD:

Will take advantage of the sharp IGZO display to reduce battery consumption and either improve screen resolution or reduce the size of the display. Possibly both?

http://www.cultofmac.com/196382/an-i...single-charge/

Will be moving from two LED backlight units to one to reduce heat, improve internal space, and improve battery life (Reduce Size?)
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/06/...-in-late-2012/

Will take advantage of FFS technology to reduce battery consumption
    http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/b...7600/E-Ink.htm

and will have the lightning connector and an A6 chip.

In short, the battery life will be insane (24 Hours?) , and it might be thinner. The IPad could be $200 more then the best Android tablet, and it will decimate them all during the holiday purchasing season.

The IPad mini might be able to pull off battery life of 2-3 days assuming it takes advantage of the same technology (Which seems very likely). I have a hard time believing they are going to make it smaller without there being a good reason.

I somehow doubt they are making the mini to compete with the Kindle Fire or the Nexus 7 as that implies people buying the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire considered one instead of the other.

I see it as much more likely they are doing to meet the demand for a smaller tablet that can work for at least 1 full day, with the possibility of it running up to 3 days. It's possible they are going after the demand for the Kindle. I personally believe the major reason people buy the Kindle is the battery life and the size, the price just making it an easy impulsive decision.

If The iPad can produce epic battery life (24 Hours or Longer) and is smaller, it might steal a bunch of those sales while at the same time taking advantage of the demand for a smaller tablet such as the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 that are about the same price as the rumored entry level IPad mini but have far inferior specs. It will also create a market for countries outside the US and UK, where devices such as the Kindle are not as popular or may not be known at all. I would gladly spend $350 for an IPAD mini that can handle the same operations as an IPAD (1st Gen) and has (8GB of) storage with a battery that lasts (24 Hours +) rather then spend $159 for a kindle that only has 2-3GB and no functionality other then as an eReader.

Guess what? The Ipad 1st Gen is currently going for about $300 on eBay. Seems people will gladly spend $350-500 for a device that packs serious performance. Anyone else notice the correlation?

I wonder what kinds of supply constraints or production difficulties Apple is going to experience by doing this . I wonder how long it will take to train workers to make it and to get the factory up to mass production. Of course it's always possible they are all ready fully prepared :/

2. doboy macrumors 68000

I guess if YOU guarantee it, it's got to be true. :rolleyes:

3. rcjh22 macrumors member

4. blackbelter macrumors member

I am wishing for A6X, and nothing more. But I am sure a new screen and connector, at the least, will make their way into the new new iPad.

5. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

You guys should know how Apple operates by now:

Apple is purely profit driven. They will recycle old ****** just to make another buck on top of the heaping pile of cash taken from your wallet. Don't expect A6, don't expect IGZO screen, don't expect anything drastically different than a simply port change to the new lightning connector!

Apple will trickle update their line of ipads slowly, milking every cent along the upgrade path. You can guarantee this!

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

haha, if this comes true, then it would be awesome!
    but... knowing what Apple likes, they will just update it with lightening connectivity :\

7. kannesss macrumors 6502a

Can we place bets on these guraranteed assumptions?

8. blackbelter macrumors member

Well, in that case, shame on apple! People like me would simply refrain from upgrading.

But what you described is highly unlikely to become reality. We'll see.

9. Vizin, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Probably just the new lightning connector and nothing else.

11. urkel, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Why not? 5 years ago we'd probably "lol" at a tablet getting 10hr battery life so at some point its going to happen.

I'm not even believing there will be an update. It just doesnt feel like an Apple move to do a mid cycle refresh just to get a lightning connector on there. Especially considering lightning cables are still hard to find and there's no actual accessories that take advantage of it.

My guess is that they'll refresh the iPad line on schedule.

12. stuaz macrumors 6502

I see your point, however they could refresh the ipad with a lightning connector to speed up adoption maybe?

My guess is that they will wait till March.

13. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

No A6. Ipad 3 use A5X. The difference between A5 and A5X is the GPU unit. Ipad 3 need the specialized GPU in A5X to push all the pixels. A6 is an upgrade from A5 but the GPU unit is nowhere near as powerful as the one in A5x. Techincally, there is no possible way of using an A6 to power an Ipad 3 with the screen resolution the way it is now.

I can see the change in the screen to cut down the backlight, It is also possible for a LTE chip change to Qcom (same one used in Iphone 5) to cut down battery power even more.. Lighter, thinner and cheaper for Apple to manufacture. The longer battery life issue will mean highest cost and more weight, my guess is that Apple will just keep it the way it is now. All around win for both customers and Apple..

14. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

And will still be running the weakest mobile OS on the market. It's like putting a go kart engine in a Ferrari.

15. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Any extension by battery life will be offset by Apple making the battery smaller so the ipad can be thinner and lighter. So I think we will still be seeing the same 9-10 hour battery life.

However, if the new screen tech allows for better contrast and brighter colours, and is less taxing on the gpu, I say that's already a very good achievement in itself. :)

16. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Anodised back maybe. Those saying waiting for A6 for what? The iPad is fast enough, I want it lighter.

17. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I honestly think the only "given" is a lightning connection.

18. maccompatible macrumors 6502

Weak? Please explain.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

One more vote for no update at all. Any mid-cycle revision is too much work. Might as well do it properly at the regularly scheduled interval.

20. Edslunch macrumors member

Exaggerate much?

21. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

22. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Hopefully. I'd be sick of shelling out 800 euros two times a year for the then-current top-end model. (I don't sell my old hardware because I need them for development / teaching / article writing.)

23. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

9to5 mac have a picture of the new ipad 3 the only change is the connector it looks like.

24. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I owned the first "iPad"
    I bought the "iPad 2"
    Then I bought the new "iPad" <---- 3rd one

If there is a change how can you call it the iPad 3????

"Things that will be in the iPad 3" .... You mean iPad 4???

25. Rodster macrumors 68040

This would be an absolute nightmare for Apple if they revamped the iPad mid cycle like that. Why not save that for the iPad 4? And what does that say to future potential buyers. If this does happen, I for one will never buy a newly released iPad again. ;)