Things to consider before buying the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacPr0, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MacPr0 macrumors newbie

MacPr0

Hey MacRumours,

MacPr0 here, and I'm a MacRumours newbie :p

So my father is going to purchase an iPad 2 soon over the new Macbook Air.

Things to consider are:
    -We have 3 macs in house & an iPhone 4 - His MBP 15" 2010 model, my MBP 13" 2010 model, and my brother's white late 2008 13" Macbook, my iPhone 4
    -We already have an iPad 1, 16GB Black no 3G (It's called AT&T in America I think), used for mostly reading news & books and games for my little brother and home or in bed, but sometimes we take it on holiday
    -My father will mostly be using it for travelling - just emails & reading documents.

We were thinking of getting the White 16GB 3G (It's called AT&T in America, I think).

Mostly since he will need something for travelling & doesn't want to take his MBP just for emails and reading docs, I think we'll just install/setup:
    -Setup Mail on iPad
    -Get PDF readers
    -Possibly the iWork suite (Pages, Keynote, Numbers), and/or Quickoffice if need be.

He also may store photos to show friends/family, so 16GB seems sufficient.

Internet on the go is a must as well though obviously.

Now, if we do get the White iPad 2 16GB 3G (or At&T in America) model, what case do you suggest?

For our iPad 1, we have a wallet style case and it does the job because we don't really use it anywhere - my brother and I using it at home on the couch/sofa or something.

I'm thinking a Speck Case - they're high quality and look hot.
    I've gotten the Hot Pink Candyshell one for my iPhone 4, and I'm considering one for my Macbook Pro (see-thru hot pink shell).
    I'm a girl btw LOL.

I'll do some research on cases, but generally we want something that is going to protect it from a drop and look good at the same time, but kind of appropriate for work because it will be for my father.

For the plan, we're in Australia and I have no idea what plan we should get for it.

I'm with Vodaphone for my iPhone 4 though, and it's pretty good - had zero problems so far.

Any other general tips, good app recommendations and stuff will be highly appreciated.

xoxo
    MacPr0 (and her Apple family)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sounds like you know what iPad you want, as for the case, I would think any folio style case would be good.

Griffin Elan
    Switcheasy Canvas
    MacMalls Scosche
    Belkin Slim Folio

The list is long and quite distinguished. I preferred the Apple iPad 1 folio case myself but bought a Sena for $5.00, leather and real real nice. Look into Sena as well.

3. MacPr0 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacPr0

Hey Jessica,

Thanks for your reply.
    I've just had a quick look at all of then, and I quite like the Switcheasy & the Belkin looks good. I'll look into the Sena.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Size Matters

If you are going to use photos too I would suggest the 32gb version might be better for you.

Cases for outdoor safety look at the Otterbox range.

Enjoy your new iPad.....I predict family haggling over who gets next go :)

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The next thing you know you'll want your favorite movie or TV show on the go. Then Apps...

If you think you might want to do more, invest now in the 32GB. Can't add memory later.

6. MacPr0 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacPr0

Yeah, Otterbox are great and I know this sounds stupid but since Apple products are so beautiful as they are, in my family we tend to love to enhance the beauty by decorating them - in essence 'dressing up' our tech toys. Otterboxes are great but aren't very pretty haha. I might consider seriously getting it later if I go travelling or do more sport or something.

Dad & I are checking out Speck at the moment, I like this case but I don't he does haha. We're going to check out the smart covers next and others available from Apple.

One we're looking at at the moment:
    http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/pixelskin-hd-wrap-ipad-case-black.html

Thanks for replying :)

Okay this is going to sound really stupid but this is my first time on MacRumours, but when people reply do they generally quote and then reply, or only quote when it's a valid point or something important? I've quoted yours and Jessica's haha.

Thanks again... so surprised how fast I got replies.
    I love Mac OS X Lion Mail's layout. Random but I love it.

----------

Oh guys,

My dad just told me we're getting the 64GB now. LOL. I guess he likes watching TV as well... who knew?

7. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Be forewarned. If any of you travel to the US, most of us are not fond of AT&T. They are the only 3G GSM carrier in the US. T-Mobile exists, but it requires jailbreaking & some pretty in depth alterations. Otherwise, wifi is plentiful. McDonald's, Starbucks coffee shops, and several others have AT&T hotspots. Also, if he plans to put a whole lot of music, photos & apps on it, get the 32 or 64GB model. You may not plan for him to load it up with games, but it's better to be prepared.

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have been quite pleased with my ATT service on my iPad. I use it a lot. To say that 'most of us are not fond of AT&T' is stretching it a bit. While free WiFi is great having 3G is a real plus when on the go. And since the OP is in Austrailia the ATT version is his only choice.

9. MacPr0 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacPr0

Actually in Australia we have the Wi-Fi & 3G version, 3G being the equivalent to AT&T. BTW I'm a girl.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

There are a LOT of happy AT&T customers. Your statement probably should have been "I don't like AT&T."

----------

I have to put in a plug for an Oberon case. Pricy, but beautiful and very, very sturdy. Will last forever. I have Oberon cases for my iPads and my Kindles (2 of each in our family).

Oberon Design

11. rollingstart Guest

If you read all the typical U.S. based technology blogs there is a general disdain/dislike for AT&T, which is probably misguided as many major cities like NYC and San Francisco, which seems to be the center of every tech blogger's universe, have generally sub par service, especially compared to Verizon.

However, looking to 4G in the U.S. there is a clear winner between the two right now, and it ain't AT&T.

Seems like the OP's reference to AT&T refers strictly to the use of sim cards.

12. Odbxl macrumors newbie

I use the iPad for the same kind of things and I would recommend the 32 version. Pictures are automatically optimised (compressed) when synchronised through iTunes but music takes a lot of space, usually it is nice to have some music while reading.