Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Without a doubt. Worst printer ever. Did nothing but spit ink everywhere but on the paper.

epson-cx3200.jpg

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Without a doubt. Worst printer ever. Did nothing but spit ink everywhere but on the paper.

epson-cx3200.jpg

I have the same printer and the same 'blank sheet' result. I just assumed the jets were so clogged it won't print anymore. It's the last inkjet printer I'll buy. Now I'm on a hunt for a decent multi-function colour laser printer that won't break the bank.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Jeep Liberty. Ate gas like candy and couldn't see behind me. I smashed a Nissan's headlight by backing into it. I sold it at at a loss and said "good riddance."

To the person who posted Carolina boots as a good alternative to Ecco: +1! I've got the 10-hole.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Jeep Liberty. Ate gas like candy and couldn't see behind me. I smashed a Nissan's headlight by backing into it. I sold it at at a loss and said "good riddance."

To the person who posted Carolina boots as a good alternative to Ecco: +1! I've got the 10-hole.

Wow, thanks. The Ecco and Red Wings boots crowd are good for those who want durability and fashion/style/bragging rights that they paid more than $200-$250.

But as a working person in my past who came into rough conditons, the Carolinas did the job without the boutique label. I also had a fancy euro boutique boot, well over $200 dollars made of leather and gortex, and the thing fell apart in no time.

The Eccos I have are probably the most durable boot in the world, but not worth double the price of the Carolinas which are about as durable.

Here's a boot that costs as much as an Ecco and Red Wing combined. If you have nearly $500 dollars to kill, try these. You can find them sometimes online for just over $400 dollars. Their tennis shoes cost $300 dollars. I am sure the boots pictured below me will last forever, but so will paying for them. ;)

There is a certain point where you top out on quality and then start paying for a name. Patek-Phillipe, McLaren, Fender custom shop one of a kind guitars, Mephisto, Jimmy Choo, and Apple come to mind. I can live with Apple though.

Attachments

• mephisto.jpg
    mephisto.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,937

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Wow, thanks. The Ecco and Red Wings boots crowd are good for those who want durability and fashion/style/bragging rights that they paid more than $200-$250.

I always wait until I find Ecco products on sale. Easy with Zappos, etc.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I always wait until I find Ecco products on sale. Easy with Zappos, etc.

I didn't know about Zappos then. With deals up to 40% percent off of retail on some stuff, that's amazing. At the time many years ago, I paid $190, before tax, for the Ecco boots, and it was the first time, and last, that I bought a high end boutique shoe/boot.

I learned a lesson which has carried onto the rest of the purchases after that. No more boutique for me. If it works, and it fits, and it lasts, and it's well above average, then that's OK with me. And a bonus is if there is no visible label or the label is very small.

But even though the Ecco label is subdued and small on my boots, people everywhere seem to take notice of them and know they are Eccos. At first it was kind of cool, but now it's annoying and some of the admirers are kind of elitist and think their feet don't stink. ;)

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Where I can do with one pair of khakis slightly more expensive than Dockers or a similar pair, I bought two. It was a two for the price of one type of deal, but one pair would have been half price and I should have stayed there.

I pretty much bought one pair of pants too many. It's kind of Tommy Bahama-ish, and it's ok but I don't see myself wearing it that much. Not a good way to spend $94 bucks extra. One pair at that price would have been OK, though expensive but good for job interviews, meeting clients, special occasions.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Ovation CK057
CK057-DPQ_sm.jpg

Learning to play the guitar, I always used extremely cheap guitars, because my father said that getting a new, good guitar is incentive to learn and after using crappy guitars, I will appreciate a good guitar more.

So, I finally learned and got to pick a new guitar. While I was learning, I fell in love with the idea of an Ovation.

I bought this guitar and it was crappity crap. It has forever ruined Ovation guitars for me.

Though, I can't say it's all bad, because i'm a Taylor enthusiast and I can't say that's a bad choice.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Not to play up to the MR crowd too much. But...

My first PC

In the end I think it cost me close to £1500 in upgrades and repairs. The motherboard was faulty, but no PC repair shop we took it to said that. Only figured it out when that was the last thing that hadn't been replaced...

Changed my perspective of PCs...

As a passing note, my dad offered to get me an iMac G3 instead of a PC, as all the components cost the same price, but I declined, because, and if I remember rightly, I said Macs looked funny. Oh how I wish I'd got a G3...

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
Learning to play the guitar, I always used extremely cheap guitars, because my father said that getting a new, good guitar is incentive to learn and after using crappy guitars, I will appreciate a good guitar more.

So, I finally learned and got to pick a new guitar. While I was learning, I fell in love with the idea of an Ovation.

I bought this guitar and it was crappity crap. It has forever ruined Ovation guitars for me.

Why was the Ovation bad? Was it just a case of not being set up correctly?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm amazed that it took 35 posts to see something like that. I guess we choose our significant others wisely around here. :p

I guess we do. I was just joking around - I certainly lucked out. :)

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Ovation CK057
CK057-DPQ_sm.jpg

Though, I can't say it's all bad, because i'm a Taylor enthusiast and I can't say that's a bad choice.

When I was first learning I got an old Fender Tele and I sucked on it and it forever ruined the Tele for me. But as I got better, later using slick Gibsons and Ibanez guitars, I came back to the Tele and now it's my favorite electric guitar.

Give yourself time, get great on electric, and you will find the Ovation can do miracles in a good electric players' hands. Be patient. Ovation rocks, and is meant for rock players, and so does Taylor despite its country-folk appearance.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
WHAT A POS!! NEVER AGAIN!!
blackberry-storm-big-1.jpg

I had an unlocked Vodafone one that I used on AT&T for like a week. No 3G, no WiFi, buggy software. Yeah I gave that away. Actually paid someone to take it (as in I shipped it to someone and paid for the shipping).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.