Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Why was the Ovation bad? Was it just a case of not being set up correctly?

It was just a poor quality guitar. Insanely high action, the sound quality was pretty bad.. part of that may have been because it's an acoustic/electric, but it was really bad. It warped easily.

I had my father, who is very knowledgeable in guitars, set it up, so that wasn't the case.

I just picked the wrong Ovation, i'm sure.

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
JHMFA36259S007026-a.jpg

Really wish I could go back in time and stop myself from buying this thing.

Why don't you like your Civic? Especially a hybrid model?

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
It was just a poor quality guitar. Insanely high action, the sound quality was pretty bad.. part of that may have been because it's an acoustic/electric, but it was really bad. It warped easily.

I had my father, who is very knowledgeable in guitars, set it up, so that wasn't the case.

I just picked the wrong Ovation, i'm sure.

In general, Ovations have lower and faster actions than wood acoustics, but not in every case. But you can pretty much count on any Ovation being stiffer and higher action than let's say a Jackson or Paul Reed Smith electric guitar.

The greatest sounding acoustic I used was a terribly warped Martin D-35 with impossibly high action. The volume and tone, partially due to action being so high, was so loud and full of rich midrange it sounded like it had a mic on it. The tradeoff is that it slowed down one's ability to be fast on it. :)

uhohzitzcooky

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
The left and right Dell monitors... seemed like a good idea at the time, especially at $160 for the pair.

Attachments

• Excess.jpg
    Excess.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 220

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
In general, Ovations have lower and faster actions than wood acoustics, but not in every case. But you can pretty much count on any Ovation being stiffer and higher action than let's say a Jackson or Paul Reed Smith electric guitar.

The greatest sounding acoustic I used was a terribly warped Martin D-35 with impossibly high action. The volume and tone, partially due to action being so high, was so loud and full of rich midrange it sounded like it had a mic on it. The tradeoff is that it slowed down one's ability to be fast on it. :)

Well, I have small, girly hands, so action is pretty important to me. It's hard enough for me to play a barre chord, without adding an additional challenge.

My current guitar is a Taylor 110 and I love it. It's a lower end Taylor, but i'm not playing as much anymore, so I don't need anything too fancy.

I have an American Ash Telecaster, but i'm not really into playing the electric too much.

I actually learned on a Marco Polo guitar. It was a child sized guitar. The strings actually left a rust/dirt-like color on my finger tips when I played, because they were so old. The action was so high, that I could stick my pinky under the strings around the 6th fret. It was pretty much impossible to really get it in tune. But damn did that guitar make me appreciate a good guitar.

Something else I wish I never bought:
everyday-infinite-reflections-big.jpg

A friend invited me to one of those stupid Partylite parties, so I felt obligated to buy stuff. I never light all the candles in it; it's a pain in the ass. and it doesn't even look that great. It just sits there and it's another thing I have to dust, but I've found it hard to throw it away. Maybe i'll feel better about giving it to someone.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Well, I have small, girly hands, so action is pretty important to me. It's hard enough for me to play a barre chord, without adding an additional challenge.

My current guitar is a Taylor 110 and I love it. It's a lower end Taylor, but i'm not playing as much anymore, so I don't need anything too fancy.

I have an American Ash Telecaster, but i'm not really into playing the electric too much.

Taylor's lower end Big Baby actually has a scale about 15/16th of the size of a regular sized dreadnaught. Excellent for those who want something a little smaller. This guitar is effortless to play with smaller hands.

Fender's custom shop, unfortunately expensive, can build you a Telecaster with a 24.75" inch scale neck as opposed to the 25.5" inch, more common, scale neck, and it makes a difference with smaller hands.

Some Fender Jaguars had a 24.0" inch scale neck and is perfect for smaller hands. I found it a tad bit too small though but it sounded amazing. I too have pretty small hands but I found with a 24" inch scale neck I would overshoot chords and notes a lot. It felt more like a 3/4s scale guitar neck rather than a Gibson (24.75") or Fender (25.5") neck. Those 26" and 27" inch baritone scale necks are just plain too big but sound great tuned low B to B, or even low A to A.

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
macbook_white.jpg

Not durable at all, even though it was my first Mac. Now it sits in my closet collecting dust with it's loose hinge, broken topcase, and broken disc drive. POS.

uhohzitzcooky

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Not durable at all, even though it was my first Mac. Now it sits in my closet collecting dust with it's loose hinge, broken topcase, and broken disc drive. POS.

Same thing happened to my girlfriend's macbook, and is starting to happen to 2 of my brothers' as well. I have it connected to a monitor and am using it as a desktop. Works fine that way -- granted she loses the portability.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
dodge-neon.JPG

I should have learned after my RAM 250, which was also a lemon what with the ECM failing and every dealership within a 15 mile radius conning me with bad gas (I SIPHONED THE PIECE OF **** AND HAD IT TOWED), and they stole my tailpipe the bastards. I didn't learn though. Damn car had a bad water pump at 35k miles, it was leaking oil, the headlights and radio were tied to the wipers, so my **** only worked if my wiper blades were up, it had an irreparable oil leak since I kept replacing the damn pan where it was leaking and it'd spring a new one a month or so after, and finally blew a head gasket.

Biggest piece of **** ever. Replaced it with a Cobalt, couldn't be happier.

nokia-5310-xpressmusic.jpg

Actually I loved this phone. It was small, the buttons were surprisingly easy to use despite looking cramped, the music player was convenient, etc. I just can't find a signal with it in my area, despite never having an issue ever with any other phone with my service provider for 10 years prior.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have not used it in the last 2 days. I regret buying it now… along with that $150 in apps.

ipad040910.jpg

andogrando

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
macbook_white.jpg

Well, it would at least make a nice server! =)
Not interested in selling it?

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Something else I wish I never bought:
everyday-infinite-reflections-big.jpg

A friend invited me to one of those stupid Partylite parties, so I felt obligated to buy stuff. I never light all the candles in it; it's a pain in the ass. and it doesn't even look that great. It just sits there and it's another thing I have to dust, but I've found it hard to throw it away. Maybe i'll feel better about giving it to someone.

Why not those battery opp LED candles? I soldered eight of them up to a wall wart for the same candle holder my Aunt has.

No ice please

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
0Dw0.jpg

Some how I accumulated 5 xbox controllers. The PS3 Controller is soo much better A.K.A Battery life, sensitivity, and overall build quality.

Also not my pic. Haha I have no idea what this person is doing to his controllers. (Maybe trying to make them better?)

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
It took me a few minutes but...

0.jpg

Panasonic VDR-M50PP - Got it for Christmas '04 after mini-DVD camcorders started to gain popularity. It costed over $700 and the mini-DVDs were about $15 each. Then after about 14 months it stopped working and Panasonic wanted $250 just to find out what was wrong with it. If only I had just gotten the Xbox I originally wanted!

31Jvssmzw9L.jpg

Philips HTS3565D Home Theater - I've always been a fan of Philips products, so the HTS3565D Home Theater with upconverting DVD player was a no brainer. At first all was great--but that soon faded. Now, only about a year after buying it, it will not play burned DVDs or rented DVDs, only ones I buy outright (!?). I still use the sound system, but have a Samsung DVD player setting on top of the unit to play my movies. Let's hear it for 3 remotes!

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
Well, it would at least make a nice server! =)
Not interested in selling it?

I forgot to mention heat problems the fan is on max while it is on idle, though it may just need new thermal paste or something. It's not that very reliable, it's on it's fourth or fifth hard drive and second logic board.

I'm not able to sell it unfortunately, My father bought it for me when I was 11 (I think) and forbids me from selling or trading it. Hence why I bought my PowerBook G4 with my own money that way I can do with it what I wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.