Things you LOVE about Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by riscy, Aug 16, 2008.

1. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

In response to a thread about things that you hate about your Mac, what things really make you happy with your Mac?? (Keep it clean!!)

I like the stability
    easy of removal of apps
    ability to use PC if needed (stands back)
    speed of booting
    stylishness - white MB looks so cool, and is SO Mac :)

2. mr.light macrumors 6502

I think what I love most about my Mac is the reliability. My iBook is 5 years old and still going strong and looking great. In our schools we are still using original iMacs and even some Power Macs. Good strong quality machines. You get what you pay for. You want cheap, you get cheap.
    Great thread. Hope it gets bigger than "that other thread";)

3. macindork macrumors member

Out of the 3 Macs I have owned, not one of them have had a hardware issue (other than a user-inflicted one).

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Almost everything about a Mac/Apple. The company has some work left. The Apple stores could stock more variety. I think the MBA could go down a couple of hundred bucks. Otherwise, we almost have perfection.

In the past, the Cube tanked, but it was a great computer. The iPod was stunning in its intro but a little too pricey. iPod prices are great today. Apple got stuck in the earlier incarnations of the G4 and didn't move forward quickly enough with Motorola but eventually things got better with the later versions of the G4. OS X, in its earliest incarnation, was a bit premature, but 10.1 solved a lot of issues of 10.0.

5. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Besides the obvious stability and "it just works" points;

OSX has a lot of little touches that make an overall great experience. Expose for example is one of the first things I point out to people I convert. When I use my work windows XP machine, out of habit I find myself mousing over to the corner to use expose - obviously this doesn't work. Even Vistas incarnation of the feature isn't quite as useful as you can't see a whole picture of the window.

I also am a bit of a minimalist, so I like how there is one complete program for everything, and its kept simple/uniform. Not to get in a windows vs mac debate, but for sake of contrast, it seems like mac isn't just delivering an operating system, but a whole suite of pretty much every program the <average> person needs - but nothing more. I just prefer the clean and uncluttered look, and it seems like no one else can replicate it. I have searched all over for a photo organizing program thats as simple to use as iPhoto for both my moms computer and my girlfriends parents pc. Other than expensive alternatives, there isn't much. Photo Gallery that comes with Vista is a wreck, and I don't think average users have too much luck with it.

One other big point as said above, hardware design is top notch and usually very high quality. I know die hards say its functionality not looks that matter, but I don't care if you spend $1,000 or $15,000 on a computer, there is no reason all manufacturers cant design a decent looking case. My brand new Dell Latitude Laptop (the work issued pc) looks like it could have been made 10 years ago, less the "guts" of the machine. It may not be the biggest deal, but while they are at it, why cant they streamline it a bit?

There is probably a lot more, but from an average users perspective, those are some of the top likes imo.

- Chris

6. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I like how my Mac is a Microsoft-free zone. My Dell laptop at work is freaking billboard for Microsoft''s incompetence.

mt

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I hate the gradient issues on my 24" al iMac!

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I've had my PowerBook 3.5 years now and it's been flawless since day one.

Finally a computer that works for me, and with me, instead of me working for it.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The only thing that annoys me about Apple is their quality control as of late, however a lot of that is very hyped up. Other than that, I love everything about Apple and Macs.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your post is out of line for this thread.

That being said, I like the hardware, the Mac OS and the software. Unlike Windows I like the fact that on a Mac we have choice. Apple makes sure that it's users are not totally dependent upon 3rd party applications. Since the Mac OS is PDF based I don't have to use Adobe's Reader. The iLife suite is much better than other paid alternatives in the same class. Apple's productivity suite (iWork) is a very good alternative to MS Office or Neo Office. It's wonderful to have a computer that's fully supported to run any computer format unlike PC users that try to fake the Mac experience by creating those stupid hackintosh's, they are constantly trying to dodge bullets by installing patches to prevent bricking and not all functions work either.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I learnt to love expose and a lot of open source programs that aren't available for windows.
    At first it was just being happy about not having to bother with anti-virus / spyware etc. software.

12. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

everything.

the stability. i love expose. i love the way everything integrates instead of fighting against each other.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My 12" Powerbook attracts a lot of attention from passers-by. I've also had it run for 117 days without a restart and not a single problem.

14. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Isn't this forum one big thread for why we love our macs?

For me it's the quality of software macs have vs the PC. Granted we might not have the volume of apps available, but it seems that each one is infinitely better designed, implemented, just works better than any PC equivalent. I love everything about them with the exception of 3D Gaming support. Once Apple gets on this and developers start releasing more games for the Mac, I have no reason to have Boot Camp or a PC. But that's another thread.

15. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Like Depeche Mode, I "Enjoy The Silence". Such a quiet machine.

I also love the fact that because this is my first Mac I've installed and uninstalled countless apps, free trials etc and it's not caused one bit of bother. It's still as quick and reliable as the day I got it.

I've just made a DVD of family clips using the whole iLife suite and it was an absolute doddle. I would've had to faff and search Videohelp.com all night to get this done on my old PC.

QuickLook. I keep pressing space bar at work when I quickly want to check something. Instead I have to open it in Word or Excel which takes ages at work.

The build quality and design (Alu iMac). I think we take Apple and their designs for granted. I love the look on peoples faces when they say- Where's the big box thing?

No AV/Spyware/Malware. On my old PC I had to install AVG free, SpyBot, Ad-Aware, CCleaner and Diskeeper. Well, alright, I didn't HAVE to but it kept things running the way I wanted.

Being able to just Sleep it and not have to do a full restart occasionally because Explorer's gone bendy.

I love my Mac.

16. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I like the stability and overall performance of the OS and the fact that the interface looks the best among all other. I also like the ton of features such as expose, spaces and quicklook.

17. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I re-installed Windows XP last night (Parallels / BootCamp meltdown) and relived the 2 hours and many, many reboots needed to install all the service packs and updates. It seems that OS X reduces the pain of updates.

Similarly, the install process for XP is lengthy, but requires you to stand vigil for the sporadic user inputs. I recall the 10.5 upgrade being much faster and requiring fewer inputs from me.

For daily use, there are few features that make a big difference to me:
    * Expose
    * Time Machine
    * Dashboard

I also enjoy the iLife and iWorks suites. I find they provide a good starting point for a lot of general hobbyist work.

Underpinning all this is the switch to Intel CPUs. Right now, I'm running XP in Parallels to connect to work with our Windows-only VPN client and Remote Desktop. Without the compatibility with the Windows world due to the architecture change, I couldn't have switched to a Mac.

18. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I like how clean they look. It makes me want to have an empty computer desktop and also have a minimalist desk with just the computer, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard.

I also like the logo.

19. osin macrumors 6502

fast booting
    spaces and expose
    much less restarts comparing to PC
    quiet and great build machine

20. jwt macrumors 6502

System-wide color management.
    UI facilitates easy photo post-processing workflow.
    System level RAW support.

Excellent memory management.
    Excellent multi-tasking ability.
    Unmatched stability.
    Noninvasive UI.
    Verbose dialog boxes.
    OS doesn't slow down over time like Windows and Classic OS.
    Sleep function, which is essentially an instant on/off.

21. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All the common points get taken pretty fast, don't they? :)

I love the fact that my computer is still running as fast as the day I bought it, and will continue to do so until I get rid of it. I like the fact that Apple has included so many little things in the OS that make the whole experience better. Exposé comes to mind for most people. Stability is another factor. Sure, an app crashes every once in a while, but unlike in Windows, it doesn't turn white and make the whole computer unusable until it's force quitted (er...process ended?). I like the look of OS X and the functionality, all fit in a beautiful case, as well as the efficiency I've gained by switching to OS X as my main OS.

22. lucas macrumors member

I love that all the standard unix command line tools are included out of the box

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I love that there is no registry to get mucked up by installing and uninstalling apps.

24. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

1. "It just works." It does. I don't have to worry about diagnosing problems or anything. This translates to:

2. Reliability. I've kept the system up for 30 days (my best record), and the system was still going strong. I don't have to worry about this thing ***** up on me.

3. Ease of doing things. From Spotlight to drag-and-drop installations, OSX streamlines desktop work.

4. Quality of Software. Windozers laugh at this and disbelieve it, but the quality of software made for OSX is, in 90% of cases, of higher quality than windows counterparts. It just is. iMovie > windows movie maker, iTunes > WMP, Mail > outlook. The list goes on.

25. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

The OS sold it for me.

Style is good too but that wasn't my main reason for switching over. :)