Things you'd immediately miss if you'd go back to iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TC03, Nov 16, 2013.

1. TC03 macrumors 65816

Which features would you miss the most if you were forced to go gack to iOS 6?

For me, it would be:

1. Swipe to go back gesture. I use this a lot.
    2. Control center. Very convenient.
    3. Automatic upp dates. Makes so much sense that I wonder why it took 7 generations to fix this.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Control center would be the only thing Id miss

3. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

+1

4. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I would miss all the whining about not being able to go back to iOS 6.....

5. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Nothing. iOS 6 is great for my personally. I just need a jailbreak to perfect it.

6. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Everything. I love iOS 7. It finally took the old iOS that we all know and love and modernized it. I love the appearance, the control center, the new multitasking, the new siri, auto app updates, and much more.

7. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I'd miss pretty much everything. I'm not sure what's so good about iOS 6 (even from a features perspective). Seems like everything was improved with iOS 7.

Long story short, I'd miss way more things going back to iOS 6 than I'd gain.

8. E2EK1EL, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

I've used iOS 7 through the Beta stages and GM builds throughout the summer, I've switched back to iOS 6 in time before the signing was flicked off from Apple. There's nothing I miss about iOS 7 in terms of the features.

1) Swipe to Unlock - Huge portion of users are getting pocket dailing now. I personally haven't had it since I keep my IP5 in a leather sleeve or a holster.

2) Command Centre - Just like SBSsettings, there's only one most used function is to turning off WiFi. Since iOS 4 once you turn on your WiFi, it's sitting in the multitasking dock and when you re-launch it, it's ready to be toggled off. Some routers produced a strange signal settings sometimes were you have to manually pick the WiFi network, even if it's a known network you've previously logged into.

3) Notifications in the Lockscreen - If there's any notifications you need to see, it will be displayed in the lockscreen no matter what.

4) New Multitasking - The devil of all the bugs, it uses more resources running things live. It's Same amount of work to clear them out, I find iOS 6 is faster and swiping up to discard 1 or 2 at a time takes more time, don't really need a preview in a zoomed out screen.

5) New Spotlight Search - Same amount of effort, just have to hit the home button max 2X. Sometimes you could mistakenly bring up Notification Center and that tends to happen more of when you're walking, since you're aiming could be a bit off.

6) iTunes Radio - It's ok, not a good as Pandora or Spotify

7) AirDrop - Barely works majority of the time, I personally wouldn't send pics to ppl I don't know and it's much easier to send it through iMessage. I rather want ppl e.mail those photos, so I have a full resolution of it for using it later.

8) Swipe to go back - I tend to really use this when I'm reading a lot and I've been using it with Reeder for a while, super handy in a RSS app. I rather have use command buttons instead in the first party apps.

9) FaceTime Audio - Restricted to WiFi for now, would be cool if you can use it over Data and that's most likely coming in the future, I hope.

EDIT: Facetime Audio over Cellular works - Thanks for the correction RebornProphet.

10) Activation Lock - Kinda useful and kinda not, each region has their blacklist IMEI and soon I hope it will be a global implementation, unofficial iPod touch mode still would work.

11) Blocking contacts - I haven't found the need to do it, but most carriers have service for it.

12) Automatic App updates - I personally like to read about the updates first and the notifications for now can't be deleted if enabled.

13) Location Tracking - Personally don't like being tracked for my daily travels, it's still happening behind the scene in iOS 6 anyways.

14) Camera Filters - I personally hate filters, but iOS 7 does a great job in retaining the photo quality.

15) New animation app launching and closing - Nothing positive has came out of this function, it was Apple's sneaky way to hide the processing time in iOS 7. With reduced motion turned off in iOS 7.0.3+, you still gotta wait for the 1-2 delays.

16) Background App Refresh - Resource and battery killer.

17) Flashlight - The average Joe's favorite new function they tend to forget to turn off, I've had to tell a lot of random ppl on the street their flashlight is still running in their pockets and we are so use to hitting the home button to exit an app, very common mistake. I like the 3rd party Flashlights much better, dating back from 2010 they've all have much better functions.

9. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I would miss the safari app purely because of the ability to have more open tabs and also the full screen presentation.
    I would also miss the fresh, more modern look.

I would change back to iOS 6 in a heartbeat though because it gave me three more hours per battery cycle and battery life is an extremely important feature, way more so than anything I have gained with iOS 7.

I cannot do anything with iOS 7 that I could not do with iOS 6....but I used to be able to do it for longer.

10. 53kyle, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Things I'd miss:
    1) control center
    2) notification center in the lockscreen, I use reminders in notification center all the time
    3) pages in folders, although I don't really like the 3x3 grid
    4) previews of my apps in multitiasking
    5) more tabs in safari
    6) the new design, I think it looks cleaner
    7) swiping down to get to spotlight from any page on the home screen
    8) automatic app updates
    9) real time clock on the home screen, but not as much as other things
    10) the ability to check off reminders right from notification center

Things I'd NOT miss:
    1) choppy animations and delays
    2) occasional wifi issues, although it could be my router
    3) 3x3 grid in folders
    4) not being able to double click the home button in the lockscreen to show time in big font while listening to music

I will add more as I think of it :p

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is FaceTime Audio really Wi-Fi only? I've read that it can be done over cellular data as well (perhaps carrier-dependent though)?

Activation Lock is certainly much more robust and useful than any blacklisting on the part of carriers or anything like that (even if it's shared and works well, and that's more of wishful thinking than reality despite all the attempts at that).

----------

You should be able to single click on the home button when you are on the lock screen and have the music controls up to see the usual large digital clock.

12. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

LOL LOL!:D Same here! It's pure entertainment.

13. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Control Center
    folders - I like how the icon is WYSIWYG
    the new design
    transitions - seeing the app come out of the center in iOS 6 is disorienting after using iOS 7
    back swipe gesture

14. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's funny but the thing id miss most is the flashlight in control center. I wake up before the birds and sneak around the house with it everyday

15. Ann P macrumors 68020

Control center, the lock screen, and the blocking feature.

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Things you'd immediately miss if you'd go back to iOS 6

1. Control center
    2. AirDrop (if it actually worked).
    3. Weather/Directions/Calendar info in notifications center.

17. RebornProphet Suspended

FaceTime Audio is only restricted to WiFi for iPhone 4.

On iPhone 4s, 5, 5c and 5s you can use FaceTime audio via cellular. I do so every single day when calling my wife from work on my 4s while she's at home with her 4 connected to WiFi.

18. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I WANT IOS 6 CALENDAR BACK. I want the top status bar in landscape mode on safari.

control center pull up like the android pull down screen is convenient especially for turning on and off wifi to conserve battery BUT IF THE BATTERY WAS BIGGER IN THE FIRST PLACE I WOULD NOT BOTHER WITH TURNING OFF WIFI.

swiping to go back is the one feature I like a lot that is really intuitive.

but why can't I get rid of a safari tab by swiping to the right? Why do I have to swipe it to the left only? Chrome is better in that aspect.

19. E2EK1EL, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Thanks for the correction RebornProphet.

I remember trying it over one of the beta versions with another person who also had iOS 7 and the call didn't work for some reason. Back in the Beta days there was only 3 ppl I knew who had access to iOS 7 and could never get a chance to test drive this new feature with ppl. In general, I'm one of those who never talk on the phone, for the last six months I may have racked up on maybe 10 mins max of voice mins.

----------------------------------------------------------

There is one minor, but pretty major change I kinda miss when I traveled last summer, the complex password keyboard layout on iOS 7. During the summer I went on a trip to NYC, the land of the dash and grab for Apple devices. Being a tourist and all, it was the first time I've locked my iPhone up ever and adding the burned images in my head of corrupted city of NYC from 80s, everything was on high alert LOL

I normally have it off back home in Toronto, b/c jumping on a comp or the GF's iPhone is pretty instantly if I need to lock it up through iCloud for any reason of being stolen out of my hands. It's a rare thing to happen over here and ppl feel safer at home. In general it's such a pain in the ass to slide to unlock or slide my notifications to reply to whatever with a 4 digit easy passcode. It's so easy to peak at your passcode, since you gotta stretch one thumb across the screen and type it slowly. I found out with complex passwords on iOS 7, it was much faster and easier to execute, you just gotta find a word you know can type perfectly without any mistakes. Since you're in position for typing, this made little feature pretty useful and it's much better since you're typing a word very fast, ppl won't know what you're typing.

Scenario
    1) Power up the screen by the sleep / wake or home buttons or it's already on when iMessage Notification arrives or reminding me

2) Slide to unlock the same area I would slide to unlock a iMessage notification for faster replies

3) Position two hands for a full keyboard layout, type in my complex password

4) Already in position to type a reply, wait for the animations to complete and fire away & send.

Oddly in iOS 6 the "setup" of the complex password keyboard layout is just like iOS 7, but in the real lockscreen the return / OK button is right next to password entering field box and I gotta reopistion my thumb to hit it & return back to the typing position. A very minor adjustment, but it shouldn't be that way. The return button which should be at the normal area is the emergency call button, talk about crazy thinking here.

In a way Touch ID is kinda useless for me, 80% of the time I'm sliding to unlock a notification I want to replay to and I still gotta type out a complex password to unlock it.

Attached Files:

20. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I'd miss going to Notification Center's Today view to get a quick check of the weather and having to wait...and wait...and wait until it decides to update. :rolleyes:

21. treichert macrumors 6502

Just swipe it and then touch the sensor.

22. thatgirl87 macrumors member

Control center, frequent locations, the card like multitasking, beautiful transparent home and lock screen, everything really. IOS 7 is great.

23. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Personally everyone I know loves iOS 7 and they didn't at first but when I upgraded to an iphone 5 with a buddy, it had ios6 on it and we couldn't wait to get back to iOS 7 for everything like radio faster siri control center it's really like night and day.
    People who complain clearly don't like progressing forward and want to grasp on to the old because they are used to it but ios7 whether you care for the white desig or not its still a great upgrade simply because of all the new features and the way content takes center stage. Really makes using a smaller screen more pleasant

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, people who have issues with iOS 7 simply do so because they just don't like progress. That's not a pointless gross over-generalization at all.

25. timothybrabant macrumors newbie

I have grown to love the notification sync feature. After a long day out, it's nice to not come home to an ipad with an endless list of notifications I've already seen.