Think we'll ever get landscape home screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockinrocker, Jun 28, 2009.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Now that we have the landscape keyboard through out the native apps and (hopefully) soon on all the 3rd party apps, wouldn't it be cool to have a landscape mode on the home screen too?

I'm thinking the icons all stay in the same spots, they just rotate so they're right side up. Same with the 4 in the dock, they don't change positions, just rotate. That way, they only things that would move would be the carrier info/time/battery indicator.

It seems like it'd be pretty cool to switch from app to app without having to go in and out of landscape mode.

So what's everybody think? Mmm, mmm, mmm?

2. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

noo i dont seem it being practical.. and theres really no point.. :apple::apple:

3. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I would love to see a landscape home screen. For me personally, with 3.0 I use landscape when I am using my phone whilst still, and portrait whilst I'm walking/moving. I would love to be able to switch between apps without having to rotate the phone all the time.

I would love :apple: to implement a system wide landscape mode, but with the option to turn it off as I know not everyone would like the "feature", especially those who like to use it in bed :D

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Please nooooo. It's bad enough now in iPod. Trying to use it in bed. The phone is so clever turning to landscape mode. It has no concept at all that my head might also be sideways in which case I don't want the phone to rotate.

Rotating the home screen would drive me nuts.

I wish they would add a switch somewhere in settings to turn off the accelerometer so the phone is always in the upright position.

5. Que macrumors 6502

ever since 3.0 people haven't stopped moaning about landscape in sms etc, so if the home screen was landscape all the "i take my phone to bed because i don't have a girlfriend" crew would be unbearable.

6. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Remember, it's not what we want that counts. Apple thinks they always know better and if they think it's cool, then we'll have it; if not, too bad.

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I could have a girlfriend :) (In a Mr Heckles voice)

8. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

I'd like that AND the ability to toggle rotation!

9. bowlby87 macrumors member

bowlby87

I dont think it would work and it'd be pretty pointless in my opinion....

10. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

but if we had diagonal on the home screen now thats pratical

11. YoungLew macrumors regular

I'd love to use the iPhone landscape all the time, it would be a good addition in my opinion

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Using the iPhone in landscape near 100% of the time when holding it would be great with me. The only times I feel portrait mode is better is for scrolling through contacts and obviously when holding it up to your head! It's a widescreen world. Defaulting things to portrait mode is one of the few things that connect the iPhone to the phones that came before it.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think we will and I like the idea. However, I'd like to see a screen lock feature first so I can lock portrait or landscape.

14. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

A silly idea. You have enough apps in landscape mode. You don't need to see extra icons.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hope not, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

17. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I am hoping for a landscape home screen big time.

Only, in Rat-Boy fantasy land, when you rotate the home screen to landscape, you get a cover flow of open applications running in memory.

Yes, I know, pipe dream. :D

18. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Most apps support the landscape keyboard. I hold my iPhone sideways now more than I do portrait. The only reason I rotate it to portrait is for the home screen. I would be a very welcome improvement. It's really a pain in the ass for people who use landscape keyboard in apps.

19. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

uh no, unless it was less sensitive and were able to turn it off. cause sometimes when im texting, the screen rotates, which is really annoying, cause i dont like typing in landscape. the only thing i think the rotate is good for is photos and cover flow :)

20. TerribleTuesday macrumors newbie

You know, whenever I'm in an app that I like to use landscape I. And then swith to another app I also like to use landscape in I simply don't rotate the phone to portrait when I hit the homescreen. I'm completely capable of finding the app I need without rotating. Also, if it ruins your life that you can't flip the pho e for all of 2 seconds then I'm sorry that the world hates you.

21. drewcosten macrumors member

drewcosten

I had the BlackBerry Storm for the last 6 months (until the 3GS came out), and it was constantly switching to landscape mode to my great annoyance. If you can't turn it off it gets old real fast.

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The ability to have a landscape spring board? Sure.
    Mandatory like landscape texting?
    F*** no!
    I love landscape texing, but it would be great to have a toggle in setting for it. Or a toggle to keep it at landscape at all times. :)

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If there were a way to disable and enable landscape as I wished without jailbreaking then I would love landscape mode.

I would love it if the icons would, at least, rotate so that they are properly displayed in landscape. Not so much more icons but so that I could navigate in landscape mode.

24. Stunod7 macrumors member

Stunod7

What would be the point? Just rotating the icons 90 degrees in whatever direction? I guess... But if you can't recognize icons because they've been rotated I think you have other issues.

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

And, you know, when you're using it as a phone.