Thinking about an Apple Watch now..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by heyyitssusan, Jun 11, 2015.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

After looking through the "Show off your watch!" thread I'm even more tempted to get one now.. it just looks sleek and sexy. Would the best idea be to get a 38MM Apple Watch Sport and then buy different bands off after market websites like Etsy or Ebay? I love Apple but not spending $500 for a band.. Is it worth getting and worth having?

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I have a love / hate with mine, anxiously awaiting Watch OS 2.

3. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you hate about yours?

4. L-Tuned macrumors regular

None of Apple bands cost $500 though..

5. wanderfowl macrumors member

wanderfowl

Are you an "Early Adopter"? Do you like having the latest and greatest, and are willing to put up with flaws and bugs to have it? Are you the kind of person who willingly installs beta software? If you answered yes to all of these things, then get one!

There's no doubt that the Apple Watch is a good product, and that with a few more software updates, it'll be a great product. And the second or third gen hardware will be *much* better.

But right now, it's *way* below the level of "Just works perfectly" that most Apple users are used to. If you're buying it to play around and experience the growth, do it. But otherwise, hang back and wait for V2.

Also, remember that you can get a very nice third party link band for $50-100, if you're willing to combine adapters and bands. Apple's not the only game in town.

6. flur macrumors 68000

I'm none of these, and yet I've had my AW since a few days after launch and love it.

OP - IMO the best plan, based on the questions you asked, would be for you to go into a store and try it on. Also, read a bit on the differences between the sport and the SS - if you're thinking about doing a bunch of different bands, the SS might be a better option, as it's quite a bit easier to dress up than the sport. Given the number of times I've already bashed mine on things (and I'm very careful with my stuff), I'm very glad to have the sapphire screen.

And keep in mind you can always return it if it's not for you or if you'd rather have a different model once you get it.

7. rdrr, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Really? You felt a need to correct her on $51? The spirit of what the OP meant is pretty dead on, $449 is a bit much for a band.

8. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

It's a horrible experience if you're sweating.

It's a bit slow with 3rd party apps on wrist raise to refresh data, which is kind of annoying while cycling (not so bad when running)

"Hey Siri" seems to open Siri about 50% of the time, not the end of the world, unless your hands are full.

It's not bright enough with the sun overhead.

Heart rate isn't consistent, neither is passive fitness tracking.

Notifications are ridiculously slow, especially gestures / heart beats from other Watch wearers - this seems sporadic.

My sport version seemed immune to scratches, now it has a bunch. I don't hate this though, I don't really care about it. The wheel gets sticky sometimes, again not a big deal for me.

9. L-Tuned macrumors regular

Huh? where did the OP say anything about which band? you're just assuming she's talking about the link bracelet.

10. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

11. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

I wish I could try it on! The nearest Apple store from me is about an hour and a half away and it's always packed because of that. I only have an Authorized Apple retailer here and they don't have the watches in.

Is the sapphire screen only on the SS version? What do you think of the S. Gray on the sport edition?

12. flur, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

flur macrumors 68000

The sapphire screen is only on the SS. I'm not personally a fan of the space gray but lots of people here like it.

13. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I feel you, mines 2½ hours away. :confused:

I do agree with flur, if it's in price range, I'd consider the SS. The sapphire glass is a plus, and the shiny stainless steel really dresses up the watch. This is just my opinion. However, when comparing the insides, the Sport is exactly the same. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever watch you get. :D

14. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

It's lovely!! But wow that price tag though, haha. I heard the sport edition scratches easily but I could hopefully put a screen protector on it. I'm still deciding on whether I want to get one, but I'm leaning more towards yes now.

15. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

Lol, I totally understand.
    If my SS wasn't a gift, I probably would've bought myself a Sport. Also, if mine was a Sport, I'd also use a screen protector. I really like this company's skins/protectors: http://www.bestskinsever.com/apple-watch-skin

16. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

With native apps coming soon, this should be much better in the near future.

17. flur macrumors 68000

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Upgrade to the beta and you'll be traumatized off it for life! :p:D

19. JSB1540 macrumors 6502

Here the SS link with tax would be 480.43 Technically not $500 but close enough.

20. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Yeah I know, to the ops point they asked for why I hate it, so just pointing it out. I will say for the money, the dev time, etc. It really should have been a 1.0 "feature"

iOS 9 Health doesn't seem to integrate with any of my 3rd party fitness or nutrition apps as of yet, when it does, I will.

21. moetownslick macrumors regular

moetownslick

This. I was on the fence until I went to the store and tried one on...once I saw how it looked on my wrist, that finalized it for me...ordered one yesterday.

22. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

The main question I always have wondered is, is it worth the money? Only because I'm constantly looking at my phone. Does the watch make everything much more convenient?

23. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I like mine, it's a cool toy, but in no way would I recommend it as a purchase. I have the 38mm sport.

If they make the fitness/HR tracking more robust, then it'd be worth it for me.

Unless you simply can't wait to have one for aesthetic considerations, I'd wait for the 2nd generation or at least until watch os 2.0 is out later this year and has been given the seal of approval from the masses. The functionality right now is a little too half-baked for me personally.

24. jannette macrumors 6502

Yes, I waste less time now that I have my watch....in fact I hardly use my phone at all during the day. My emails and messages can be looked at with a flick of my wrist and a pull down. I am not tempted to have a quick surf of the Internet. I can also check the weather, stocks etc.

It is by no means perfect....I was not sure that I had made a wise buy at first, but I love it now!

25. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll probably be the same way.. I check email and text a lot.. I use handoff for texts on my iPad and Mac so I can text when I'm away from my phone so it might be easier to have it on my wrist.