Thinking About An Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by apolloa, May 3, 2017.

1. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

After some input from Apple Watch owners, I've been thinking about a wearable for a while, looked at all the options and I always seem to come back to the Apple Watch. It's probably the one I can wear with a traditional watch and it goes with my iPhone.

I wanted a device that I can install apps on. I will use it to track my sleep, or lack of, and just general fitness. Is it good for that? Can you get a strap to make it look more like a band as opposed to a watch?

I'll be after a series 1 Sport, probably sell my iPod Touch I don't use to help pay for it as I have my iPhone. I want one that you can wear in the rain, I won't go swimming or shower etc with it.

I also need the bigger screen with my eyes. What do people with lesser eyesight think of the 42mm display? I'm short sighted and these days seem to wear glasses for a few more things.

I guess I'm after people's thoughts on it as a general smart wearable, just needs to last a day too really, use it to keep an eye on my health which isn't great as I'm not the fittest person but I do walk the dog every day. Can it measure stress like the Garmin can?

2. Relentless Power, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

1.) The Apple Watch can easily mirror/install apps from your iPhone that you have a preference of on your Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is an excellent general fitness tracker. And for the record, all smart watches are generally basic measurements of movement/calibration. But I agree Apple Watch does a good job for what it's worth.

I don't have any experience with sleep measurement But there are third-party sleep measurement applications available.

As Far as strap/bands go for the Apple Watch. There are a plethora of different varieties and options for the Apple Watch. If you're going with the Series one Apple Watch, You have options from leather straps, fleueroastamer bands, third party link bracelets, nylon. There certainly is not a shortage to critique the Apple Watch the way you want for style.

2.) If you plan on investing in the Series one Apple Watch, it does have a rating of IPX7. Which essentially means it's splash resistant, where you could wash your hands or where it in the shower as you noted. If you wanted any additional water resistance, then you would be looking at the Series 2 Apple Watch, which is rated at 50 m water resistance.

3.) Also, you mentioned that your eyesight is not the greatest. I would certainly not hesitate to purchase the 42 mm, but you also are getting extended battery life over the 38 mm. It certainly seems to be the more popular option between the two models.

4.) The Apple Watch Series 1 is rated at 18 hours, which should be more than sufficient for what you're looking for. I can't attest to measuring stress, as I have not heard of any applications that monitor that specific category on the Apple Watch.

3. kwandrews macrumors 6502

• Yes, apps, of course.
    • What do you mean like a band? It's a watch, not a Fitbit. You can find a ton of 3rd party bands and straps online for the AW. Examples are metal bracelets, imitations of the OEM Apple offering, many colored rubber / silicone straps, leather, you name it, you can probably find it on Amazon.
    • Track sleep? Sure, but it needs to be charged pretty much daily, so you would need to charge it during the day.
    • Rain: It handles it fine
    • swimming/shower? Officially, NO, do NOT do it! In reality? I've done it, many time since Nov 2015 and never had an issue to this day. YMMV and it's your risk. An AW2 is designed for that, not my AW1, but it's an inexpensive watch anyway, so not a huge deal, again, YMMV.
    • 42mm and eye sight: I now need "readers" in addition to my contacts. The 42 is fine, so would the smaller one. The biggest factor is how it fits on your arm. Most traditional dress watches for men are in the 36-38mm range. Sports watches and watches in general for men these days are in the 40-44mm range. Either way, try them on and go with what fits your wrist and eyes the best.
    • Measure stress? I don't know the Garmin. I doubt it can actually measure "stress" which is a psychological condition that has physical manifestations. I wouldn't trust a "stress meter" on a watch....yet...unless it is reading your brain activity like a PET scan, LOL. No, the AW cannot do this.
    It sounds like you really want one. Go for it. The AW1's are a bargain now. Try them on first and get the one you like.

4. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It is good for that and there are several apps you can install to customize it for what you want. For sleep tracking I use Autosleep, but Honlong1976 did a nice write-up comparing 3 of the top sleep trackers here.

As Relentless Power mentioned above, the Series 1 is rated to the IPX7 standard, which means it is protected against short durations of water immersion, to a depth up to 1 meter (3 feet). For more on the IP standards, see here, but it will hold up to rain. Technically you could shower with it, but Apple recommends not to do so, claiming "exposing Apple Watch to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes as they can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes." More on that here.

The 42mm screen may be of benefit to you. Additionally, you may wish to look at the Accessibility options and turn on the zoom feature. I use this because sometimes pressing the app you want among all the tiny icons can be a difficult task due to their small size. The zoom function allows you to double tap the watch face with 2 fingers to zoom and then double tap with 2 fingers again to resume to normal size. You can also set the zoom level, I set mine to 1.5x, just to make the app icons a little bit larger. You can play around with that, it will go from 1.2X up to 15X

The 42mm has a slightly larger battery than the 38mm, which may be another good reason for you to choose that size. I previously had a Gen 1 / Series 0 and it would last the day, but not through the night. My Series 2, after 24 hours is generally between 45% to 55% battery. I put it on the charger while I shower, dress and eat breakfast and its good to go for another day. I am not sure how the Series 1 compares.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

do it :)

for apps there isn't a smart watch thats better. the dock system really is great for all the latest apps i use for on the go it's perfect and it updates in the background

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I do like the Dock, but I actually liked "Glances" better. But the Dock is more efficient.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Depending on your eye site and what you are trying to look at, the 42mm might still require you to wear your glasses.

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Or put your favorite apps as Complications (if the app has a Complication available, anyway). That's how I usually get to my Weather, Timer, Workout, and Messages apps.

Display size: mostly irrelevant when you're talking about being able to see the letters, as you can change the font size like others have noted here. So don't feel like you have to get the 42mm model when the 38mm is more comfortable for your wrist size.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I would say get one. I bought a Gold 38mm Series 2 and it is an enjoyable, fashionable little gadget. If your eyesight is poor and a 42mm suits your wrist size, go for that. The 42mm was too big for me but the 38mm is just as good.

[​IMG]

10. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Thanks for all the replies! :)

Some great feedback, I didn't know the Watch had the Zoom feature like the iPhone, and didn't think about a bigger battery in the bigger model. So great info there.

When I was talking about the strap, I was thinking of a strap that's as wide as the watch or wider so it's more like a band. I have a Tissot I wear sometimes so would want to look less daft with the Apple Watch too haha.

On the John Lewis website in the UK, the bigger model is cheaper then the smaller one, not sure if that's a typo? I'll have to sell my iPod Touch I think and put the money towards it and get one for Christmas, if Apple launch a new one by then the Series 1 may be cheaper.

And the new Garmin smart band measures your stress with its heart rate sensor and displays it as a level bar thing. I was wondering if the Apple Watch did the same?

Also it's a good tip to try the different sizes to see which suits my wrists.
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2017 ---
    Yeap, I know a Fitbit or Garmin would do, but to me they need to run apps to be smart and we all know what Apple is like for apps... :D

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Definitely buy from John Lewis, that's where I got mine and you get a 2 year warranty whereas Apple and Currys only offer the standard year.

It's definitely for me the best smartwatch. I've had friends demo different variants and they just don't seem as neat.

12. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Installing apps on my AW 2 never been a problem,if I install apps on my phone,it also installs the Watch version to the watch,.

13. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

I've seen the Apple Watch for a decent price on the Argos ebay refurb store, with 12 months warranty that's pretty good and Argos won't mess you around. Maybe refurb but it's from a big retailer. Can you adjust the vibration alerts the Watch gives? Like the strength of the them?

14. Skika macrumors 68030

Yes you can.

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You can. It's through settings and it's the haptic strength. And you can also disable haptic if you so choose as well.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

42mn is very easy on my eyes. I am glad I picked up the right size without try it out at the Apple Store.

17. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Is the black worst or better with Wear and tear over the silver?

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If you're referring to Space gray over the silver Apple Watch, it will show more damage with nicks and scrapes. Black tends to display damage easier over lighter tones because of the contrast.

Or if you're referring to the space black stainless watch, that watch is highly durable against damage with the protection of the diamond like carbon coating. And I still have zero damage on that watch to date.

19. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

It's the space gray and silver. Worth bearing in mind thanks.

20. throAU, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Things i learned recently:

Original watch = Series 0
    New ones = series 1/2
    Both the same except for the 1 not officially being water resistant (but still is) and no onboard GPS.

Both 1/2 have the new CPU.

My battery generally gets me from 6am through to say 1am (bed time) with > 50% left depending on use. Right now, for example Im on 87% at 8pm, its a weekend so i put it on about 9am. I don't run games or anything like that but use it for notifications, fitness tracking and light message checking, etc.

My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, but the watch UI seems to be fairly optimised for the small display. It's not trying to do full iphone screen stuff on the display. Have a play with one in store.

I'm happy with mine. If you're in the apple ecosystem it does the health stuff and provides a bunch of nice to have notifications, mac unlock, etc.

I've easily pushed the battery 2 days between charges before and if it gets low it will degrade to just telling the time (haven't run it that flat yet).

I have a 42mm series 2. If you're a guy, it's probably an appropriate size, wrist wise. I suspect the 38mm is more suited to ladies (or maybe smaller guys - i'm 6' about 200 lb) who are generally slightly more slender. It doesn't feel as over-sized vs. a regular watch as i thought it would. If you're used to things like dive-style watches its of similar size, smaller than some.

I've got space grey/black. Its had a few knocks against various surfaces in the past month and no damage as yet. I am careful with it, but by the same token i've been relatively pleasantly surprised that i haven't scratched it yet.

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Series 2 also has a brighter screen and includes the peek feature allowing you to gradually turn on the screen at low brightness by turning the Digital Crown. Also has a more durable ceramic rather than plastic back with a different, more premium design to it.

- It's worth making clear that it will just give you that option. It won't do it on its own. You can choose to run it all the way down with all features enabled if you want.

My Series 2 42 mm lasts at minimum 2 days between charges, and often 3 days.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I like the space gray over the silver. But they both have their advantages for pairing bands. Let us know which one you choose.

23. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Ah didn't realise, cheers.

Also worth noting, is that the charging is pretty fast.

If mine is on say 50% (typically after wearing it asleep and all day the previous day), i can put it on charge while i have a shower or get ready for work and it will normally be 100% or pretty close to it by the time i hop out of the shower.

So yeah, the battery anxiety is nowhere near as bad as i thought it might be.

24. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

I managed to get to an Apple Store this week, they had loads of watches to try on, the bigger one is definitely for me and with the large silicone strap, that just fit my wrist! It was damn comfortable I must say! Yeah gonna have to get one I think...

Yeah very comfortable to wear. Mind you I also want the iPad Pro 10.5" now and an iPhone 7 Plus haha.. I managed to stay away from the computers.....

I have ALWAYS said, no matter what I think of the Watch good and bad, it's design is fantastic! Very smooth and classy.
    I did start some workout thing in it though and it said my heart rate was over 130 bpm... from standing still! Lol.

I like the black series 1 alloy.

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

One thing I find not commonly mentioned with Apple Watch by other owners is how comfortable it is to wear. I barely even notice when I wear my stainless model, which is Significantly heavier over the aluminum model. It just conforms to my wrist nicely. Congrats on your purchase.