Thinking about buying an iMac but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by longball11, Nov 9, 2009.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I currently have 2007 black macbook 2.2 ghz. I am going to keep it until I just dont want to use it anymore. But those new iMacs are so tempting and I am infatuated with them. Of course I dont have the money to buy a quad core or 27'' inch iMac. I do like trying to futureproof my products so I can use them for a long time and make sure that they are compatible with stuff.
    Anyways, what I wanted to ask is, is it annoying to plug in your iPod to the iMac when the USB is in the back? I don't want that hassle, if it is. I dont know, I might just be infatuated with these new products. Is it good to get an iMac?! I would most likely get the base iMac 21''. The most I do is iTunes, some movie-watching, internet surfing, and word documents (papers for college). I usually don't move my macbook around that much. I do movie around the apt sometimes but mostly sitting on desk. Thanks for any advice.

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hello,

My recommendation is to pick up the iPod dock; that way you can just leave it plugged in all the time and dock your iPod when necessary.

Regarding the iMac, it will be an excellent upgrade to your current machine, but I guess you just need to save up the funds for it!

3. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

I just got the 21.5" 3 weeks ago and it's the best decision i've made. Im on a limited budget and this will be my biggest purchase till i'm done with school or get a high pay'n job. regardless, your description on what you do with your laptop is identical as to why I use a computer.

moral: its worth it. :)

4. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Only you can answer that question but I did find it annoying to have the ports in the back with my old PowerBook laptop. What you can do is either get a USB hub and place it conveniently where you want it or you can see if the two USB ports on the external keyboard works for your iPod. That option doesn't work too well for laptops because you have to constantly connect and disconnect the USB hub every time you carry it somewhere. You don't move a desktop much so you can just leave it there.

For your needs a base model will last you a long time. It doesn't sound like you need the portability much and you are keeping your MacBook anyway so you will have the portability for the few times you need it. I personally need the portability more often so I'm pretty much done with desktops but your needs are different. It does sound like you use your laptop like a desktop.

5. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Duration

If I get the 21.5" iMac with 9400m assuming I do my task which are internet surfing, iTunes music, word documents possibly power points, and movies and no games, it will last me a long time with no problems (assuming on problems from mechanical failures, etc.)?
    My parents have an iMac (20'') but had to have the hard drive fixed/replaced bc it was messed up. I was just hoping its not serious.
    If I make this decision to buy iMac it will be my second Mac computer. My black macbook is serving me very well with very little problems only thing is that the battery drains very fast and its aggravating sometimes.

6. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

The activities you have mentioned aren't really that computer intensive so an iMac should last you. I don't use Power Points but my 5 year old PowerBook can do everything else you have mentioned so a new iMac should last you just as long.

As to your MacBook you should be able to get a new battery. Batteries don't last forever and you need to replaced them when they get too old. The decision is yours because if you can live with your MacBook then that is your choice. It sounds like you just want an iMac. It's your money.

7. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I bought my first iMac on Sunday, And I love it. The display is amazing. The USB ports at the back are very easy to get to. I use them to charge my iPhone on the dock. And considering you have a laptop the portability issue shouldn't bite you in the bum to much :D

8. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

You might want to check out this imac stand with built in usb hub

http://www.macessitywebstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

And yes it is a drag to plug in usb devices in the back, especially if you do it often... and it kinda depends on how your imac is set up... usb hub will solve it and give you some options for more connections.

Another option is to get the apple wired keyboard that has 2 extra usb ports on it.

9. Blair230 macrumors regular

To solve the USB situation, you could also buy a USB extension cord (they are VERY inexpensive), and have it plugged in all the time. This way you'd have easy access to a 2.0 USB port.

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Seconded. My iMac came with one of these back in 2007; it's what I use to charge and sync my iPod, and it's very reliable. I have none of the problems associated with wireless input devices either (replacing batteries, keeping Bluetooth pairings active, etc.). If I were to replace my iMac, I'd keep using this keyboard until it fell apart, then get a new wired one and keep going.

Of course, if I were to get a Mac mini, I would have to reconsider that position, but that's another discussion entirely...

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I bought a reburbished 24" iMac and plugged in my USB hub.

12. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I use the USB port on the left side of my iMac's keyboard to charge/dock my iPod Touch. No need to go 'round back.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Probably not the greatest of reasons not to buy an iMac. A hub or the wired keyboard will solve the problem.

14. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

dude get the imac, a dock would make it easier for you and the keyboards have usb ports in the side, so you wouldn;t need to go round the back of the imac anyways [​IMG]

15. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Get the iMac it wil be perfect and also get a Griffin Simplifi Dock that also has 2 USB ports and an SD/compact flash reader and also fits in perfectly.

16. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thats a cheaper way than getting a dock. I heared so much good things about the iMac, go for it , great machine! Its on my wish list aswell.

17. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

amen to that.

18. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

I have another question. I heard that the iMac makes the wireless keyboard and mouse standard. Does the wireless keyboard and magic mouse use batteries? what kind of batteries?
    Another note, if I can't get the iMac before Christmas, which I may not, I'm going to have to wait until the summer to buy another mac because that's when I'll be making money again. But by then, iMac may not be what I want because of the quad core possibly going to the laptops by then. Anyways, is the 21.5'' iMac still worth it?

19. Big Alsie macrumors member

the magic mouse uses 2 AA batteries (although I believe it can use just one if you need).

As for the 21.5 inch iMac. I would save up the cash for the 27 inch model. You don't want to regret not getting the larger screen later.

about 2.5 years ago my roommate and I both bought iMacs (the one in my sig) I got the 24 inch model and he got the 20 inch model. Since then he has regretted not stepping up to the larger screen. Don't want buyers remorse.

Another option would be to get a large display and hook your macbook up to it.

20. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

The question ofcourse is, do you want to spend the extra money on the screen realestate? Perhaps you dont need the few extra inches, and dont want to invest money into it. I for example, am perfectly happy with the
    smaller C2D model ( 21.5" ). Wether to buy the low end or high end machine really depends on the enviornment where yore going to use the machine.

21. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Well, this is quite a tough decision. My parents have have an iMac and its the 20''. Its a big screen to me.
    I go home for thanksgiving break from college and i will be near an apple store when i get home. I would like to compare. I just worry about if it's too big and if it is going to cause me eye problems...
    I used to have XPS 15'' laptop before this black 13'' macbook and I loved the bigger screen bc I could view an entire webpage. I didn't have to scroll side to side like i do now with the macbook. Soo...it might be a toss up, but I don't have the money for this stuff. It's just possible a family member might help me out bc im in my final year of college. "graduation gift"

22. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

If 20 inches is a big screen to you , then 21.5 should be perfect. just a bit bigger but not much.

23. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Why don't you just get a 21.5" 16x9 1920x1080 monitor? They're widely available for around $150. That's what I've done with my Mac Mini and though it's not as good a screen as Apples, it's still very good and I don't have to be concerned at all about reflections. Maybe replace your battery too and you'll have spent a small fraction in comparison to a new iMac. If however you can afford to go for the new iMac, I'm sure you won't regret it.

24. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Are the reflections on the glossy screen that much of a problem?

25. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Eh?

"that much of a problem". Where exactly did I make them out to be so bad? Oh, that's right I didn't. I just said you he wouldn't have to ever be concerned about them and that's because it's a flat screen. If I had said "don't buy one the the glossy screen will forever drive you nuts and you'll end up smashing the screen to bits with your bare fist. In a week" then a comment like yours would have been appropriate?, but instead it's just a waste of god damn time even bothering to respond to. Sheesh.