Thinking about exchanging my 32gb iPhone 4s for a 16gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

This iPhone 4s is my first iPhone so I decided to get the 32gb version of it to be on the "safe" side not knowing what to expect. After setting up my device the way I like it and installing the important apps that I wanted I've realized I didn't even use 1gb of space. Obviously I'll be adding pictures, videos and some more apps occasionally as I go along but I can't see it ever getting to the point where I would need 32gb of space.

If I was to bring my 32gb back to swap for a 16gb version would they be able to clone my device exactly how I have it setup now onto the new phone or would I need to set everything up again from scratch like apps, emails, springboard set up, ringtones, wallpaper, etc?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can back up your 32GB and restore to the 16GB. Keep in mind that you'll have a restocking fee on the 32GB one, so you're not going to save the full $100.

3. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Restocking fee? Nobody ever told me anything about that so I'll argue my way around that fee. ;)

4. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

And here I am in exactly the opposite boat.

I bought a 4S 16Gb and need a 32Gb.

Unfortunately through Sprint, both the 16Gb and 32Gb are on back order so I have to wait about 2 weeks before my local store will have one to swap out.

As far as your question, If you back up via iTunes, you should be able to retrieve everything...

The only exception would be text messages. I dont think they are saveable.

5. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't need the text messages so that part I don't mind. I'd just ultimately like the new phone to look identical to the one I currently have so I wouldn't even notice the difference set up wise.

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

For $65 then I would keep the 32gb that I currently have but I'll get the whole $100 difference back so I'm not worried about that. It's principle. :D

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You keep using that word - I do not think it means what you think it means :rolleyes:

8. flyboy0, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011

flyboy0 macrumors newbie

It says it right on the reciept!!!!! You want every single thing told to you on the reciept?! If that happened, you'd prob. complain about having it read to you. Geez.

9. BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 21, 2011

BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Keep using that word? Show me where it's been used more than once. Secondly it means exactly what I think it means. :rolleyes:

----------

Once again nobody notified me of any restocking fees therefore I will not pay one. Why don't you focus on the topic of the thread instead of worrying about how I'm going to avoid paying a BS fee that only helps them rape their customers even more?

10. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

OP didn't mention where the phone was purchased unless I missed it with all the other stuff going on in this thread. If it was bought from an apple store there is no restocking fee.

Oh a regarding saving of text, just do an iTunes backup and they are saved. My phone still has text messages from Nov 2009!

11. flyboy0, Oct 21, 2011

flyboy0 macrumors newbie

I know, you know, we all know that when electronics are returned after being used, there's always a re-stocking fee that goes along with it.

12. mopatops, Oct 21, 2011
  13. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

14. Stealthipad, Oct 21, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you are that worried about the money enough to return and get the other model, chances are you could not afford it and should not have bought the iPhone anyway!:p

15. BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 21, 2011

BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Trust me I can certainly afford whatever device I want it's pure principle that if I'm only going to use 5gb of space I don't need a 32gb phone.

16. rml4uk macrumors member

Where are you located? I have a 16GB plus cash I would gladly trade you. I wanted a 32GB but the only non-64GB I could find after launch weekend where I live was a 16GB. PM me where you're located. Maybe we can work something out.

17. DarkFlame macrumors regular

just again wanted to highlight the fact that THERE IS NO RESTOCKING FEE AT APPLE! I do, however, think you can only exchange ONCE. So make it count ;)

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Keep it civil or I will wield the ban hammer.

B

19. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the offer but I'd prefer to bring it back and get a brand new 16gb iPhone 4s in the box.

20. Kendo macrumors 68000

Well a lot of apps are generally 25MB so fifty apps weighs in at 1GB. A thousand songs is another 5GB of space. You figure a HD movie weighs in at 2GB on the iPhone so just 3 movies is 6GB. So you're already at 14GB of space. The 16GB iPhone only has around 13.5GB of useable space.

This doesn't even include games (which can take up to 1GB each like Rage HD and Infinity Blade), photos, and 1080p video that you can record. Since it is only your first iPhone, I wouldn't make an assumption on space because you've only owned it for a week. App sizes will only get bigger.

I think 32GB is perfect, especially since if you have to pay $35 for a restocking fee, then you're only saving $65 from your $100.

21. oshia86 macrumors regular

You don't make the rules, genius.

22. EcuadorianMami macrumors regular

I agree, I had a 16g when I first owned a Iphone...i started to get that nasty message saying my memory was full...now i got a 32g =)

23. dieburnbot, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Are you sure 16GB will be enough? You may only be using 1GB now, but what if later on you decide you want to put more stuff on it. I dunno.

I bought the 32GB iPhone 4 and was like wow I'll never be able to fill this up, fast forward about 13 months and I only had 6 GB free lol.

So when I bought my 4S I got a 64 GB. I think if you can afford it (like you say), the extra 100 bucks is worth it for the 32 GB especially in the long run.

24. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not even using 1GB right now. I will never have even close to 1,000 songs on my iPhone. I have 35 right now and that's plenty already. I will also never have multiple movies. In fact I'll probably never have any movies. I will have pictures and some videos that I record from the phone but that's it other than apps that I may download in the future. I can't see pictures, videos and apps utilizing up another 10-12GB of available space.

----------

Says who, genius?

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Uh, its these types of people that give apple customers a bad name. As someone said OP, you do not make the rules.

If you bought your phone from Apple, you wont pay a restocking fee. If you didn't, from my knowledge (sprint/verizon/at&t) you pay a restocking fee.

Shut up with this principle ********. The principle is that you think you dont have to follow the rules like everyone else because you're special, but you're not. If they don't ask you to pay, then more power to you.

But no, you don't make the rules.