Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
So for about a few weeks now I've been thinking about getting a Chromebook and selling my 2010 MacBook Pro. A few reasons why I been thinking about making the change and just wonder anybody else has any experience with a Chromebook or have one

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
A Chromebook is essentially a Chrome browser plus things like an SD card reader. Open Chrome (and nothing else) and try to fit your daily routine into it. If you can, then you can pick one up. You can even look at tablets if a keyboard isn't really important, as a Chromebook is essentially a tablet with keyboard running Chrome. Also keep in mind that it isn't that functional without WiFi access, as most builtin apps are web based.

My friend bought the Pixel and quickly put Linux on it to be more functional. Personally, I tried one and didn't like it as just Chrome isn't enough for me.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
chrome book emulator
turn on 2010 macbook pro
open chrome
enter full screen mode

instant chrome book!

everything on the chrome book requires a web connection. maybe when shopping for one, maybe you should get one with cellular, get one with the 100 gigs of free google drive. when you return it, like i did , you get to keep the 100 gigs

i heard theres limitations like you cant even open a zip file

i felt the screen was too cheap. I'm used to IPS screens and the one i got was clearly was not as good
i got it as a gift and i returned it. at the time the 2 gig non its was 250 and the ips and 4 gig machine was 330

since chrome book syncs with google then i guess you won't need iCloud anymore, and you won't like us anymore. so maybe you should keep using iCloud, heh

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
only one i was considering before i got a good deal on my 13" MBA from a friend was the Toshiba Chromebook 2 with IPS display.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
So for about a few weeks now I've been thinking about getting a Chromebook and selling my 2010 MacBook Pro. A few reasons why I been thinking about making the change and just wonder anybody else has any experience with a Chromebook or have one

I've been using one for a year, it replaced my IPad which Apple ruined with IOS 8. I like it, it's a lot like an IPad with a keyboard and file system. I should add it does not replace a Macbook unless all you're doing on your Macbook is surfing the web. I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2, I'm a photographer and images display very nicely on it. I got mine from Amazon, and then got a discount so the net cost was around $180 - given what I spent it's a much better deal than an IPad or any of the Android tablets.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Thanks everyone for there input.
The only real draw back I will have is not having iTunes. However, most of my music listening is through my iPhone on the go.
As for what Chromebooks I'm looking at, I've narrow my choices between Toshiba Chromebook 2 and Dell Chromebook 13. Both seemed to have nice displays and enough memory (4GB) for web browsing with multiple tabs.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
chrome book emulator
turn on 2010 macbook pro
open chrome
enter full screen mode

instant chrome book!

everything on the chrome book requires a web connection. maybe when shopping for one, maybe you should get one with cellular, get one with the 100 gigs of free google drive. when you return it, like i did , you get to keep the 100 gigs

i heard theres limitations like you cant even open a zip file

i felt the screen was too cheap. I'm used to IPS screens and the one i got was clearly was not as good
i got it as a gift and i returned it. at the time the 2 gig non its was 250 and the ips and 4 gig machine was 330

since chrome book syncs with google then i guess you won't need iCloud anymore, and you won't like us anymore. so maybe you should keep using iCloud, heh

I rather just sell my computer for $300 and get a legit Chromebook. My MBP is too heavy. I want something more portable

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
IMHO Chromebooks are a waste of time and money IF you're not invested in Google's ecosystem. I have used Chrome OS, and it's not for me. I still use Chrome OS in a Parallels Desktop VM and, to me, it's little more than a glorified Chrome browser - but, it's still a nice thin client.

If I were wanting to slim down my footprint I'd lean more toward Windows 10 and a cheap "premium" Dell Venue or HP tablet - a Win client without any crapware, and that purchase would include a year's worth of Office 365 Personal. An install of Chrome or Outlook or iTunes or any other Win application is an option, an option you likely won't get on a Chromebook. IMHO I'd rather buy a sub-$150 Win tablet over a Chromebook anyday, and with MS's Surface event on 10/22 coming up you'd have more options in just a couple of weeks if "cheap" is the way you want to go after current options get discounted even deeper. There's my $79.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I rather just sell my computer for $300 and get a legit Chromebook. My MBP is too heavy. I want something more portable

i see some mac book airs going for sale on eBay used in the 300 dollar range.. they seem to be 2010 to 2011 models, heh

if i do not personally post on these forums, apple might lose a customer, haha

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
IMHO Chromebooks are a waste of time and money IF you're not invested in Google's ecosystem. I have used Chrome OS, and it's not for me. I still use Chrome OS in a Parallels Desktop VM and, to me, it's little more than a glorified Chrome browser - but, it's still a nice thin client.

If I were wanting to slim down my footprint I'd lean more toward Windows 10 and a cheap "premium" Dell Venue or HP tablet - a Win client without any crapware, and that purchase would include a year's worth of Office 365 Personal. An install of Chrome or Outlook or iTunes or any other Win application is an option, an option you likely won't get on a Chromebook. IMHO I'd rather buy a sub-$150 Win tablet over a Chromebook anyday, and with MS's Surface event on 10/22 coming up you'd have more options in just a couple of weeks if "cheap" is the way you want to go after current options get discounted even deeper. There's my $79.

Sorry but I could never go back to Windows.
I used the Google ecosystem for work so it wouldn't be a problem.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My mum had one, it was cheap. It was also badly made extremely limited (but fine for her) and broke easily, to be honest once we bought her an ipad she hasn't even turned it on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry but I could never go back to Windows.
I used the Google ecosystem for work so it wouldn't be a problem.
Sounds like you already have your mind made up and if you're happy with the Google ecosystem, the Chromebook will fit right in.

Reactions: campyguy

LDaniele

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Northampton, MA USA
I have both a MacBook Air and an Acer Chromebook. A couple of years ago, I wrote up a "Chromebook Good and Bad" list for me personally to see if it could possible work as my "daily" computer in a pinch. My results are at the bottom. Your needs might vary:

Good
  1. Fast (enough).

2. Easy setup.

3. Instant access to Google Drive, etc.

4. Chrome is a great browser (just like on Mac or Windows).

5. iCloud works well for calendar, to do’s etc.

6. Amazon Video, Netflix and Hulu work fine.

7. Shift+Ctrl+Window Manager for Screen Capture (to disk).

8. Quickoffice (Beta) seems to open basic Word documents fine.

9. Apps such as IM+, imo or eBuddy can be used for chat in Chrome and access Skype, AIM, etc. accounts.

10. Able to print one page to a “Classic” printer.

11. Can use 1PasswordAnywhere! (but it is awkward).

12. OS upgrades take literally seconds. (I can hold my breath while doing one. Try that with an OS X upgrade!)
Bad
  1. Keyboard keys in lower case (a little disconcerting at first).

2. No access to Apple iCloud Photostream (maybe no longer a problem).

3. No direct AIM / Messages chat.

4. No Quicken.

5. No Chrome home page of “file:///Users/larry/Dropbox/Larry.html” But downloading all needed files to the “Downloads” folder does work!

6. No Chrome Remote Desktop (share) - “coming soon”.

7. No unified IMAP email client / inbox.

8. No copy and paste for screen capture.

9. No unified Contacts for email, each webmail account has separate contacts (but can access iCloud contacts).

10. Need to add email signature to all webmail accounts.

11. Need a network-visible printer for printing.

12. No Skype means no work calls. (I have a Skype phone # for my business.)

13. No email filtering.

14. Not able to print multiple pages to a “Classic” printer.

15. No installable file systems (e.g. Dropbox, SkyDrive, iCloud, etc.). (Yes, you can access them via the web, but it's not the same.)
I would never say that the Chromebook would replace a Mac. But as a second lightweight, "disposable" laptop it's great (esp. for watching movies on Amazon, Netflix and Hulu). As indicated in bold, it was the lack of a unified email client and contacts that was the deal-breaker for me as an everyday computer. I have about six email accounts I monitor and having to check six different places all the time just wasn't going to happen.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
The only real draw back I will have is not having iTunes. However, most of my music listening is through my iPhone on the go.
As for what Chromebooks I'm looking at, I've narrow my choices between Toshiba Chromebook 2 and Dell Chromebook 13. Both seemed to have nice displays and enough memory (4GB) for web browsing with multiple tabs.

Sign up for Google Play Music on your Mac and upload your music library. You can upload 50,000 songs for free. I started with that, but then started paying for the All Access feature. I love it, as it works on my iMac, my iPhone, and my Sonos setup at home.

I've also considered getting a Chromebook, just to tinker with.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Bad
  1. No unified IMAP email client / inbox
I would never say that the Chromebook would replace a Mac. But as a second lightweight, "disposable" laptop it's great (esp. for watching movies on Amazon, Netflix and Hulu). As indicated in bold, it was the lack of a unified email client and contacts that was the deal-breaker for me as an everyday computer. I have about six email accounts I monitor and having to check six different places all the time just wasn't going to happen.

What about CloudMagic? http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-cloudmagic-brings-an-imap-email-client-to-chromebooks/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloudmagic/kddkcfbhnacmdhojcgppgpdhimdldane?hl=en-US

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
What about CloudMagic?
I agree with maflynn, it reads like you've made up your mind. Google's ecosystem is OK, and I used it for several years - the Google Apps for Business platform, that is - until MS came out with Office 365, and for a $1 more per month it was worth it.

About Cloudmagic, it's a nice app and backend for most. The Pro version is overpriced when looking - again - at Office 365 Business (not the Essentials). For about $2 more than Cloudmagic per month, I get the full Office suite, Sharepoint, UL storage, and my own domain for email - and I have Outlook on iOS and Windows or OS X. Given that MS's Outlook iOS app does pretty much the same thing - plus calendaring, plus contact management - for free, I'd hazard a guess that Cloudmagic is positioning themselves for the same path as Acompli (now, the iOS Outlook app, which is getting very good, very fast) - assimilation into a larger firm after they realize MS has them beaten in their business plan on both the free and paid options. "Free" is good, but devs get hungry when nobody's paying them so I like to pay up - I did try Cloudmagic's free version but found that MS offered far more value for my coin.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Was there anything you needed to do that needed a "Pro" Macbook? If so, you probably can't do that with a Chromebook. I bought one just to try it out and to have a computer plugged into my TV. Playing movies on it (and getting subtitle files to work) was a bit odd, among other things. A few days later it just didn't work out for me so I returned it.

Might be a decent solution to take when travelling. Should take care of your Word processing needs (unless you have complex Excel or PowerPoint files), web browsing, movies/music...and if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen, it's not a huge cost to lose.

OH, and I should also mention...I know you said you couldn't go back to Windows but I would certainly have a look at the HP Steam laptops...just a bit more in cost and it's full Windows 8, so you can install any software you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Was there anything you needed to do that needed a "Pro" Macbook? If so, you probably can't do that with a Chromebook. I bought one just to try it out and to have a computer plugged into my TV. Playing movies on it (and getting subtitle files to work) was a bit odd, among other things. A few days later it just didn't work out for me so I returned it.

Might be a decent solution to take when travelling. Should take care of your Word processing needs (unless you have complex Excel or PowerPoint files), web browsing, movies/music...and if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen, it's not a huge cost to lose.

I originally got a MacBook Pro for school (video editing and other creative applications) however I don't use those kind applications anymore. I pretty much do everything can I do with a Chromebook except iTunes (not too worry about) and IMAP email (but Cloudmagic looks like a option)

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I originally got a MacBook Pro for school (video editing and other creative applications) however I don't use those kind applications anymore. I pretty much do everything can I do with a Chromebook except iTunes (not too worry about) and IMAP email (but Cloudmagic looks like a option)
You can use Google Play Music instead of iTunes, but MAKE SURE you have at least some kind of cheap desktop/laptop computer that you can use for file transfer and stuff before you sell your MBP so that you can upload the music at least. For mail, may I ask what mail client you use?

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
You can use Google Play Music instead of iTunes, but MAKE SURE you have at least some kind of cheap desktop/laptop computer that you can use for file transfer and stuff before you sell your MBP so that you can upload the music at least. For mail, may I ask what mail client you use?

I use 2 google different Gmail accounts (One Personal the other for work) and then I also use 2 IMAP accounts through HostMonster (both work related accounts). So a total of 4 email accounts

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I use 2 google different Gmail accounts (One Personal the other for work) and then I also use 2 IMAP accounts through HostMonster (both work related accounts). So a total of 4 email accounts
For Gmail, just use the web interface. For your custom emails, you will most likely need an IMAP email client software that can run in the web. As you mentioned, CloudMagic might work.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
For Gmail, just use the web interface. For your custom emails, you will most likely need an IMAP email client software that can run in the web. As you mentioned, CloudMagic might work.
Yeah hopefully CloudMagic works. I don't heavily use those email accounts but it would be something needed.

Question: (This might be awkward) but do you or anybody know a good Chromebook forums that's equivalent of MacRumors?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Yeah hopefully CloudMagic works. I don't heavily use those email accounts but it would be something needed.

Question: (This might be awkward) but do you or anybody know a good Chromebook forums that's equivalent of MacRumors?
I don't know any other community, sorry. As others have suggested, try using Chrome and Chrome alone on your laptop for a week or two and see if you like it.

Reactions: macosxuser01

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
I was a big Chromebook junkie for a couple years. Good resources for Chrome OS:

OMG Chrome! These guys cover all things Chrome. Including browser, OS, machines, etc.
Google+ Chromebooks Community - These guys are pretty friendly but a little militant about the quality of Chrome OS. Good place to get advice, find workarounds, etc.

I liked my chromebooks, they were cheap and disposable. I didn't have to worry about them getting broken, stolen, etc because at $150-$200 it wasn't the end of the world to get them replaced and I had everything backed up on the Cloud anyway.

The downfall, for me, came to entertainment. I could do all my work on my chromebook but there wasn't a lot of ~fun~ to be had besides web browsing. I would use my desktop Mac to rip all of my media to open source formats Chrome OS could use and then I'd load Linux (there are some awesome options for Linux on Chrome OS, including running a "full" desktop side by side with Chrome OS)

I still like them a lot but after getting a substantial raise and promotion at work (and being able to more easily afford better hardware) I found a lot of their limitations frustrating and not worthwhile.

They are fantastic cheap travel computers that are hard to break, fast, and responsive. Budget Windows devices simply do not compare. They can do quite a bit offline as well. I definitely recommend them if you are interested in a budget system.

Reactions: macosxuser01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.