Thinking about getting a Wii, should I not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RevToTheRedline, Jun 3, 2008.

1. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I used to be very serious in to clan based FPS and RTS PC online gaming, until I got too tangled up in other activities and work to not be able to spend time on that. I've been thinking about getting a new console but don't want to spend much on one meaning a PS3 or 360 is out of the question, also I don't have an HDTV so those would be pointless. I've been looking at a Wii for a while and might get on Friday. Is it worth it in general and for the amount of good games it has? I like the looks of Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers and so on, also is it good for the whole family, by that I mean people not highly in to gaming and don't usually get the controls of consoles.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It has....a decent amount of games. Some of them are pretty bad, but all the first party games that are nearly pure gold make up for that. I enjoy mine, I think it's worth it just for Wii Sports and Mario Kart alone.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Honestly, I'm not even pretend blown away by the wii. I waited like 8 hours in line to get it first day (bought 4, sold 3) so mine was free after all was said and done.

And I haven't turned it on in more then a year. Its sad, but I really can't see any reason to. Its just sitting covered in dust on a windowsill. The games ALL suck, I prefer the free bowling to all (10+) the other games I bought. I tried mario cart, I liked it better on gamecube. I tried smash bros, liked it better on game cube. And I didn't even like the gamecube...

I just kept wishing I had a real controller in my hand. The motion stuff is 120% gimmick and almost none of the actual games use it in a worthwhile way.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea the first party games alone are worth it. There are some good 3rd party also. It ain't comparable to PC games you used to play, but I assume your lack of time won't permit you to play like that anyways so the Wii is a perfect fit. It's good to turn on and get a quick play.

And if anything, you can always sell it. They still have a high resell.

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's why I play MK and SBB with my wavebirds. There's also the classic controller if you can't find wavebirds.

6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I bought a Wii back after selling it a few months ago. I missed it so much :D I have to say I'm not really too much for the new games but I love all the SNES and NES games

7. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

Wii sux

Wii sux, plain and simple. Save your $$$ and buy a PS3. Period.

8. nerd macrumors member

I think the Wii is great, but it really depends on your expectations. A lot of the people who say the Wii sucks are comparing it directly to the PS3 and Xbox 360 which misses the point completely. I have a lot more fun playing Wii Tennis with my friends than playing something like GTA IV.

9. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I got a Wii and wanted to like it, but the graphics really took away from the experience.

Felt like I was playing PS2 again... Anyway I sold it on eBay..

I also think I have sorta outgrown video games.

10. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

First and foremost, you should search. Console Games has a lot of threads like this and could be very helpful to you.

Second, you don't need an HDTV to have fun with the Xbox 360 or the PS3. I have a regular TV and I love my 360. Granted when I hook it up to my parents HDTV it looks gorgeous but the gameplay is the exact same.

The Wii is fun, and it has good games, but I don't play it nearly as much as the 360. Like you, I loved FPS and still do. I play the Wii every once in awhile. More with friends than by myself.

11. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Like some others said, the first party games is a reason to get one. I have one, and I love it. Just beware of the craptastic 3rd party games that are out there, and the Pokémon game...... *shiver*

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Should you get a Wii? Oh hells yes.

2 of the best games I've played this gen are on the Wii. Mario Kart is amazing. Pure and simple, it's a no fuss racer with so many unlockables (been playing 2 months now and still haven't unlocked all the racers) and possibly the most addictive gameplay I've seen for a very long time. It's the first console game I've played for an hour every day.
    Mario Galaxy is the highest rated game since Ocarina of Time (which you can also buy for the Wii). It's a masterpiece. The art direction, the gameplay, the music. It's almost perfect.
    Most first party titles are brilliant but Nintendo have been doing this for years now. 3rd party aren't so good.

Ignore the people who talk about graphics, really. Call me magic but I can look past low resolution and see how incredible a game can play.

All I play now is the PC, Wii and PSP (in that order). I don't want the other 2 consoles since I find they try to mimic a PC experience but fall short and cost a lot more (some games aren't even HD, don't want to pay to play online etc.).
    It really is the best and most fun console I've ever played since I started gaming in the late 80's. Reminds me of being in an arcade.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

No. I wanted to like the Wii, and truth be told I love games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. But the Wii is a novelty at best. None of those games make good use of the wiimote, and aside from Wii Fit and Wii Sports, almost no games do. Hell, most games would actually be improved if you could play them with a regular controller. Additionally, Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros. Wii are barely an expansion of their previous versions. Neither breaks any sort of new ground, and get boring very quickly.

In concept, the Wii was a good idea. But lack of even halfway decent third party support means that outside of the few Nintendo owned properties, there are nearly zero worthwhile games.

You're better off with a PS2, frankly.

14. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I got one yesterday (finished exams present). I love the controls.

The Wii Sports are a hoot, and I got Metroid Prime which is great, if a bit confusing since I've never played that type of game before.

I'm looking forward to getting some of the Virtual Console games, and a few others, like Mario Kart. From what I read its just a matter of sifting through the games and doing a bit of research to find the good ones.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I played one and the novelty wore off quickly. I play video games to relax, sit my lazy ass on the couch and not move anything but my fingers. Only exceptions to that rule are Guitar Hero and Rock Band

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I play to relax too, and the Wii fits that. I keep hearing this and I keep replying with the same thing. The Wii-mote doens't take that much energy, nothing compared to the Guitar hero. Games like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid all incorporate the Wii-mote, but the effort to play is small. You're not swingin arms, it's all in the wrist. Games like Smash Brothers and Mario kart, there are several options to how you can play ie Gamecube controller, classic controller. Then there's the hundreds of VC games that don't use the wii-mote.

People act like it's some kind of workout, and sometimes it can be if you want it to be. I don't know if I sound biased, but I just wanted to give the other side of the argument.

17. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Go for it, and get Mario Kart, Guitar Hero and Smash Bros Brawl. Even my father has joined me and my brothers to play Mario Kart - the first video game he has ever played!!

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

That Harry Potter game is a workout - at least the last boss... your occulmency is done by shaking your wiimote in the opposite direction of Voldemort's wand. My hand practically went numb!:eek:

I love light gun shooters. Umbrella Chronicles FTW. Also HotD 2+3 for $30, nothing wrong with that :D

19. asxtb macrumors 6502

I'd say go for it! But like others have said, as a warning, I think the Wii-mote novelty wears off really quickly. Games like Wii Sports are fun for about 10 minutes.

And I disagree (to an extent) with what SamIchi said about it not being a work out. If you are playing something like Wii sports what's the point in just using the wrist. If I'm only going to use my wrists, I'd rather just use a normal controller. On the plus side a lot of games do allow for the classic controller and GC controller.

I do agree that Mario Kart is a blast and a definite buy if you do get a Wii. Like Jimmi said, it's a game I could see myself playing an hour or more everyday.

20. retrofraction macrumors member

I would go for the wii ( if you still have you computer with fps ) then you should be ok.

21. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Do it!!!

My brother bought a Wii two months ago and it is freaking awesome.

WiiSports is great,
    Mario Galaxy is AMAZING.
    Mario Kart Wii is pure gold.
    Zelda: Twilight Princess is just the lord and master of all games, ever.

I haven't managed to play Brawl yet, but judging on Melee, it'll be as sweet as sugar.

Honestly, the Wii is the best console out there experience-wise, in my opinion. It's just incredibly well thought out. I think the PS3 has motion sensitivity as well, but it was just slapped on at the last minute because Nintendo revealed they had it.

Seriously, the Wii is fantastic and a GREAT buy. So that's another "yes", from me :D

22. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

My brothers have a Wii and we always play when I visit. I find it better to play with others. Mario Kart, Smash Brothers and Defend Your Castle (Wiiware) are a lot of fun.

23. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

me and my girlfriend have alot of fun playing the wii together. if you don't play games with other people it'd probably be pretty boring, it's really a 'party' console and is really entertaining in that regard.

24. Xraven macrumors newbie

Google "wii fit girlfreind". Watch the youtube video.

That's all I have to say about that.

Xraven

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The epic Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 say hi :p

But seriously it is a very fun console to play with other people, especially Mario Kart and Strikers but there are also grand single player games too.