Thinking about getting the 8GB 3G iPhone. Have a few questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vader1990, Jan 16, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

So I'm thinking about getting the new 8GB 3G iPhone, but I have a few questions first.

1. What EXACTLY do I get with the $30/month data plan? Like is it text, data, or internet? How good is it? Is it justified to any degree?

2. If after 1-2 months I decide that I no longer want to pay for the data plan, can I disconnect that line [iPhone], and then add a "new" line to the family plan, with the new line being a hacked/unlocked iphone? Basically I'm asking if I can hack the iphone and still use it on AT&T WITHOUT paying for the data plan?

3. IS the iphone worth spending so much money on?

Thanks!

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Chances are if you need justification and explanation base on cost, you probably don't need or should get the phone. Your 1st and 3rd question is judged by personal values, which none of us can help you with that.

As far as 2nd question goes, AT&T monitors 3G iPhone using their service. If you have 3G and actively using it, they are more than likely require you to have data plan (of course some donkey will point out an exception to this rule).

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    1) unlimited data = unlimited internet = unlimited email = 0 text messages

2) can the iphone 3g be hacked to do this now? I'm not sure. You can cancel your contract but there is like a pretty huge fee.

3) I love mine. Happiness is worth more than money. Haha. If you have enough, IMO go for it. Just don't break the bank in the process

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Only unlimited Internet access. No SMS/Text.

AT&T will notice and you will end up paying the extra $30. AT&T doesn't notice using a 1st Gen iPhone's data on a 3G much.

Yes. I love my 1st gen and can't let it go.

5. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

The iphone is worth what you make it. If you want/need it real bad then yes its worth more than it costs.

6. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

"Unlimited" Internet access over the AT&T EDGE/3G cellular data network. (Unlimited normal iPhone browsing. If you jailbreak and use the iPhone to tether a laptop to the Internet, AT&T may notice the increased bandwidth usage and there could be consequences.

No texting is included in this plan. Family plans are charged an additional $30/month for unlimited texting.

Prices at http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

You'll probably have to pay the contract cancellation fee ($175 - $5 per month active) to cancel the line, then as a previous reply states, AT&T may figure out what you are doing. Without a data plan, you will not have visual voicemail any longer.

Only you can answer that.

Alec

7. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response; but what I was wondering was, what if I paid the $175 for canceling that line, but then used the iphone on a 2G network on ATT? Just like the other 2 phones on the family plan? Not all 3 phones on the family plan will be 3G right? only the iphone? so if I use the iphone on 2G just like the other 2 phones, and survive on wi-fi, how will ATT know?

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Because AT&T is a business entity, and their business is to profit.

Scan IMEI, reads 3G, adds 3G data back on.

9. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

If you are planning on using it just on 2G as is, why not get a first generation iPhone with its $20 data plan?

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

You don't have to cancel the line and pay the ETF if you just want drop the data plan. You just need to put your current iPhone 3G SIM into another phone and call Customer Care and ask to have the iPhone data plan removed. Please note that you will be asked to provide the IMEI of the replacement phone before they will remove the data plan.

AT&T can determine any device you have your SIM installed in once it connects to the network. The current hot topic is the using the incorrect data plan with the iPhone 3G, if you use the incorrect datat plan, AT&T will send you warning TXT messages requesting that you move to a valid iPhone 3G data plan.

As a poster previously indicated, you also loose the Visual Voicemail feature and it is less then $1.00 per day for the data plan. Could you save a dollar a day somewhere else to cover data plan? :(

Dave