Thinking about getting the new 15" MBP, but..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmmtn4aj, Feb 29, 2008.

  1. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #1
    According to this thread, Apple will be replacing the notebooks come June? It doesn't seem that far off to me, seeing as the basic silver MBP design has been around since the G4 Titanium of 2001, much longer (IIRC) than any of Apple's previous laptop designs..

    Should I get one?
     
  2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #2

    search the forums. There are a lot of threads already going about this topic. Read through them first.


    and for a quick answer. yes wait.
     
  3. jmmtn4aj thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #3
    That was a quick reply :D

    I've just read through all the wait? threads up to page 4, and some interesting points were raised. The two basic possible pluses of waiting are

    1. Redesigned look
    2. Completely new chipset

    I'm interested in the two of them. With regards to 1., I think you'd agree that Apple's products are consider fashion accessories by many, including me. I don't want to be left with a 'yesterday' design if the new one gets a restyling. How solid are the rumours when it comes to this?

    With regards to 2., I don't care about a new chipset to be honest, except for one thing which I'll get to later. My desktop is an enthusiast's setup which I assembled myself. It consists of a DFI LP UT P35 T2R, which the PC DIY users here might recognise as perhaps the best overclocking motherboard around (the X38 version is out but last I checked it was still buggy). I've taken the FSB up to 2400Mhz (600 quad pumped), the RAM up to 1200 (at 5-5-5-15 or something like that) and the C2Q 6600 to 3.83GHz (on lower FSBs of course), all on air. I've taken the FSB down to 1GHz, and honestly I can't tell much difference in day-to-day apps, only in benchmarks and the most taxing games. Obviously I don't expect to run Crysis on the MBP, so a 1066Mhz FSB up from 800 really doesn't matter much to me. I intend to use it for Photoshop and Lightroom, maybe Aperture, which a good processor would be a plus, but Nethalem (the next major release) isn't expected for some time. As I understand it Photoshop is RAM size dependent, but not really FSB and thus memory bandwidth dependent, am I right in this assumption? For my purposes, 2GB of DDR2 seems fine..

    Now, what I do care about is the price increase a new chipset might bring. DDR3 for desktop motherboards have been around for quite some time now and they still cost an arm and a leg, I really can't see how Apple would be able to keep the prices at their current mark considering laptop memory has traditionally been more expensive than desktop memory at similar speeds and sizes, since their form factor is smaller. Has each new remake of MBP traditionally been accompanied by higher prices?
     
  4. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

    Hls811

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4

    a redesigned look my not necessarily be a plus... If the MacBook and Air are any indication moving to the dual color scheme or MB-style keyboard would be enough reason to stick with the current generation.
     
  5. jmmtn4aj thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #5
    I don't have a problem with the MB keyboard actually, in fact I think it looks better than the MBP's :p

    I'm with you on the MBA's colour scheme though. But I think it might have been a necessity. An all white MBA would have looked a bit boring (not there) in my mind's eye.. Sides in all their product lines they seem to look better and better with every new generation (albeit losing Apple's distinctive look in some cases) o_O

    Arghhh decisions decisions
     
  6. fade macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #6
    I'm actually finding the June refresh hardly believable.

    Yes, Montevina platform will probably be out by June.
    However, redesigning mbp's body (if needed) should be according to that new platform, which means it's going to take some additional time since the platform release. Add some more unexpected delays and disappointed Tuesdays and you might end up freaking out waiting until the 4th quarter.

    We all should remember that new MB's, MBP's and MBA's will be released annually and there will always be some new features to wait for.

    So... it's up to you if you should hope for brand new MBP in June or go and get your nice piece of Apple's hardware now.

    I've been waiting for the Penryn update since it was certain and unavoidable and during this waiting period I've understood that it's all about making the decisions, otherwise you might end up waiting forever.
     
  7. kashik macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #7
    Note that people here were so convinced that there was going to be a case redesign at Macworld.
     
  8. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #8
    I think it's really funny how the threads change from the week before an update to the week after. Before everyone thinks the update is going to be great, after everyone thinks it sucks and the next one will be great.

    It's funny.
     
  9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #9
    Dude, if you can wait that long go for it. But I mean you could play the waiting game forever.

    The best thing to do is to buy one if:

    a) they were just update; or

    b) you absolutely need one.

    Otherwise, if the above to rules aren't true for you, and the rumors for the next update are coming very soon then wait. Here's a kind of rudimentary timeline for you:

    <Updated-------------------------------------------------------------Updated>
    July 2007-----------------------------------------------------------February 2008
    <Buy!-------------------------------------Wait---------------------------Buy!>

    This is for any Mac computer. Kinda after the mid way point of an update, you should wait for the next update (if you can). Otherwise, if you're before the "wait" point, just buy one.
     
  10. jmmtn4aj thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #10
    Okay I'm sold :D

    But anyone got an answer to the 'will a redesigned-new-chipset-mac cost more' question? ;)
     
  11. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #11
    Well.. In the world of technology, but it probably won't. By the time the next new chip comes out, the costs to make the Peryn chip will drop in price and the new chip will take the current price spot. Anyways, I don't think apple will allow the MBP to go up in price. Its just not apple.

    -JoE
     
  12. jmmtn4aj thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #12
    Right now the MBP is 2K USD without student discount, what was the original release price? And the G4 price towards the end of it's life?

    EDIT: I think the new chipset will be using Penryn, IIRC. The thing I'm thinking would bring the price up is DDR3. Ram prices have historically been pretty stable, DDR1 still costs more than DDR2 for similar speeds and capacity (more now due to less demand), so I'm thinking the relative prices of DDR3 to DDR2 will stay the same, and it's a big difference..
     
  13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #13


    if they do release a new case with the new chipset, then apple already has the chip set and is already working on the new case, much less its already designed.

    they get the stuff early and work their products around it.
     
  14. fade macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #14
    That's one of the possible scenarios.
    We never know what can possibly go wrong in the process, so I'm suggesting to get ready for the worst case to avoid a disappointment
     
  15. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    Old Trafford
    #15
    All I know is that I was happy with the current MBP and Penryn update. Look at the MBP thats available now. Do you like the design? Will it take care of your needs? If u answered yes to both, then definately purchase it. I waited 2 months for this update since I first started looking at buying my first Mac in Dec.

    So, I was happy with the current design and just bought it. No way I was gonna wait another 3-4 months with speculating blah blah blah. I want to enjoy my new MBP now while i'm young lol.
     
  16. Macmanus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    #16
    If I was Steve, I would wait for a major event (i.e. Macworld) to announce a case redesign. This would be an upgrade, and not just an update, so I don't think there's gonna be one in June.

    To sum it up, buy now if you need one.
     
  17. jmmtn4aj thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #17
    Well, that sorta depends on whether it's the latest fad of not sometimes :p I loved the design of the clamshell iBooks. In fact I dreamed of owning one almost every day at the time, but compared to the svelte laptops of today it looks garish, haha

    Announcing it at Macworld would kill sales though, no?

    Rarr, I can't but think about a friend who got the iPod photo, only to see the iPod video released a few weeks later.. But then I can't but think of the guys who waited for the x38 chipset only to find it a disappointed, and getting the P35 in the end.. months after everyone else did
     
  18. fade macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #18
    My point exactly.
     
  19. waywardsage macrumors 6502

    waywardsage

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location:
    CA
    #19
    the sad part for me is I need one but I want a blu ray drive for it SO bad! It's almost a dealbreaker for me. I should be jazzed that i'm getting a 17" MPB but its almost sour grapes because all the new blu rays i buy from here on out, ( I have a PS3 and i pretty much just by blu ray now) can't be played or taken on the road with my $3K laptop! Pretty rediculous.
     
  20. fade macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #20
    If I was you, I'd purchase the current penryn mbp and sell it when the new ones come out, I'm just too skeptical about the whole June thing.
    Even if the montevina upgrade is going to happen soon - nobody can make a stable promise right now that blu rays are part of the deal.

    So let's look at the possibility the new MBP is announced in June-July-August and it has no blu ray included even as an option... wouldn't it be disappointing to admit that all this time you had no mbp and you've been waiting for nothing (since blu ray is the only issue for you)?
     
  21. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #21
    I have pretty much the same problem, but with a standard MacBook... i'm waiting, partly because my birthday is July so maybe i could wiggle my parents to buy some of it for me.
     
  22. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #22
    Get it now if you need it now. The Penryn MBP's are pretty awesome (and I like the current design). If blue ray comes available then get an external dvd burner, it'll be faster than a laptop one and cheaper to boot. I mean how often are you going to be away from your desk to suddenly need to burn a blue ray dvd?
     
  23. VincentPun macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #23
    Wait again? Definitely, no. New stuff always come out. You just can't follow their change. Why not get one now get one now and just enjoy it?

    I ordered a 17" HD.
     
  24. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    Old Trafford
    #24
    I think the main thing with this upgrade is how much cooler the MBP runs on the 45nan chip. Montevina is gonna use the same size just with a few perks. IMO its not worth waiting for. The next update in 2009 might be more worth it. Thats when i'd expect a case redesign as well. But again, thats if u can wait a yr.

    Honestly, i have no idea why people keep talking about case redesign so much. The MBP is just about perfect. I like this latch , the ports are nice, firewire 800, great display. I just love the damn thing so much. It may be my first Mac but its the best computer laptop or desktop i've ever owned.
     
  25. pionata macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal
    #25
    They cant redesign it much, the thing is as thin as it can be.
     

Share This Page