Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
Ive had a case on my i4 since the day I bought it. I like the way it feels without a case but not sure how the steel band will hold up against the oils from my skin and such. Has anyone that has been caseless for awhile had any problems with the steel band turning or tarnishing or anything in that nature??

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Ive had a case on my i4 since the day I bought it. I like the way it feels without a case but not sure how the steel band will hold up against the oils from my skin and such. Has anyone that has been caseless for awhile had any problems with the steel band turning or tarnishing or anything in that nature??

Not from me. The steel band is still perfect. What I do notice though is my signal does drop a lot when holding it naked. I don't hold it with a 'death grip' but with my hand around the device as I've always held my iPhone, my signal is a lot weaker and I do lose service from time to time. It's quite annoying.

paulmacbeth

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I went caseless a few months ago after numerous cases since launch day. I covered the sides with the invisible shield side protectors and so far no problems with it and no loss of signal for me when holding it on the antenna.

ssampath

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
I tried the free Apple bumper for a few days - did not like it and have been using it naked for the last 6 months - I do have a couple of scratches on the back but the steel band is as good as new.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm in the same boat as ssampath - I purchased the Apple bumper but ditched it after a few days. I haven't noticed anything wrong with either my band or the phone itself. I'd suggest using it naked, it's amazing!

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm in the same boat as ssampath - I purchased the Apple bumper but ditched it after a few days. I haven't noticed anything wrong with either my band or the phone itself. I'd suggest using it naked, it's amazing!

It is amazing naked but I'm always so scared of dropping it. I currently have a super thin case on my iPhone and it's not really for drop protection as it hardly has any at all. It just simply adds a bit of grip to the phone and makes it easier to hold. Apple devices are always so slippery.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I've been using my 4 since launch day with nothing to protect the sides. The finishing has not tarnished at all.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I know I don't have an iPhone 4, but

It looks absolutely amazing. I probably wouldn't use a case just to see the beauty of that thing. I could sacrifice a few scratches on the back. I'm hoping the next iPhone is aluminum because my main gripe is scratches on the back :eek:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Got my iPhone 4 when it was released to existing VZW customers back in Feb. Have been caseless until yesterday and so far I have dropped it 2 times (1 on a metal table stand on the floor) and have gotten no scratches, dents, any damage - ya I got lucky but now I'm protected.

From my experience, it won't be scratched however keep in mind that it acts like there is no friction. If you're someone who likes to leave the phone on your leg while sitting or the table which may be angled, it will most likely slip off without notice.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I've always been caseless with my iPhone 3G, and i like it that way. I take utmost care for my phone, but it does drop a few times with only scratches in the back. I don't mind that.

But i understand how you feel, the iPhone 4 is much more fragile with glass and the new design as well.
I'd say be safe and stick to a case!

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
I've been caseless...

...for over a year now. It is great to enjoy the incredible design of the iPhone 4. Some minor scratches but nothing to worry about :)

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There

No problems here!

Just go naked!

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
naked..it's just too pretty.
i am careful but a few minor scratches just show it's been loved.
:apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some minor scratches but nothing to worry about :)
This is why I have a case - I don't care for getting any "minor" scratches. I like keeping the stuff I buy in the best condition possible. It helps with resale value when the time comes to sell it.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Dont

i was walking up subway stairs and a douche running yanked his hand and managed to snag it in my headphones. iphone flew straight out of jacket pocket and hit the floor. had i not had the speck skin it was a definite cracked case.

For me its better be safe than sorry.

Plus i dont have to think twice about keeping my iphone down anywhere use it to press elevator buttons etc. just more peace of mind :)

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I've had my phone for 2 months now and happen to drop my phone 3 times already. Luckily it was in a case and there was no damage to it.

I wonder if I was caseless if I would still have my phone today? Probably not.

Go caseless at your own risk :)

hildey

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
maybe i'm in the minority here, but I like to have a case not only to protect my lovely iphone 4 but also to hide that i have an iphone. I find that non-iphone people tend to treat me better when they don't know what i'm using and iphone users tend to suffer from certain stigma if ya know what i mean. Plus i prefer to not show off what i'm using even though my iphone 4 is amazing and i'm deeply missing not being able to use it for the past 3 months and 2 more to come :(

But like i said, just my opinion.:D

Edit: By the way, this is the case I settled on after trying several and trying not to use any case for a while. But after coming very close to dropping it several times on a sidewalk from about 5 feet up i ended with this one:
http://www.splashproducts.com/Splash_Cruiser_soft_touch_iphone4_case_p/spl-crsr-iph4.htm

in the beautiful red color, one of the most important things for me is that its easy to take in and out of my pocket though. I will say that I really like the look of the SGP Neo Hybrid Color case (and thinking about getting it) and from the reviews it sounds like its similar to not having a case at all

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
maybe i'm in the minority here, but I like to have a case not only to protect my lovely iphone 4 but also to hide that i have an iphone. I find that non-iphone people tend to treat me better when they don't know what i'm using and iphone users tend to suffer from certain stigma if ya know what i mean. Plus i prefer to not show off what i'm using even though my iphone 4 is amazing and i'm deeply missing not being able to use it for the past 3 months and 2 more to come :(

Do people actually care what phone you use? I'd tell them to hop off.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
Thanks for all the responses folks!! I still havent worked up the nerve to go naked though lol. Right now I have the SGP crystal clear screen protector SGP carbon back cover and the SGP neo hybrid ex series (infinity white) case on it. It adds very little bulk but still not the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.