Thinking about jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JohnnyJuice, Nov 1, 2010.

1. JohnnyJuice macrumors newbie

I am new to the iPhone 4 world and very disappointed with the vibration (or lack thereof) in the silent mode. I am also annoyed with the 6 choices of alerts for text messages b/c none of them will wake me up and I depend on it for my business. I have heard that jailbreaking would correct both issues. What is the best way for me to go about this?

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Google GreenPois0n or LimeRa1n and follow the instructions. The "ToneFX" app in Cydia (the "Jailbroken app store" that will install when you jailbreak your phone) will give you tons of flexibility with SMS tones (many SMS tones are available for download in Cydia as well). As far as the vibration function, I don't know if there is anything that makes it vibrate more/herder (if that's what you're looking for).

3. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Z...Are those websites the ones you recommend to use for jailbreaking......a colleague of mine had recommended iClarified?!?! .....

4. LoLife macrumors regular

iClarified is more for a tutorial on how to jailbreak. It doesn't have the programs there. But that is a great site for you to find out more information before you do jailbreak. But just google Limera1n or Greenposi0n (the last o in posion is actually a zero not a caps o) and you will have the tools right there to jailbreak

5. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Are these pay sites .... if so any idea how much?

6. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

limera1n and greenpois0n are both free utilities to jailbreak your iPhone. If you get to any website that is charging, you're on the wrong site.

Cydia is basically the jailbreak app store. Some apps are paid but some are free. There are a lot of threads out there showing the good apps to pay for, things like MyWi for making your iPhone into a wireless hotspot to My3G that allows you to use facetime on 3G instead of just WiFi.

I suggest using limera1n. Its really easy to follow and tells you want to do. Search youtube for instructions if you want to see what to do beforehand.

7. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys....I think I'm going to try it.......I hope these programs are idiot proof!?!?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Use Pwnage Tool if you can. It is the most fool-proof tool there is in the jailbreak scene.

9. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Do these programs allow you to jailbreak but not unlock your phone? I already use AT&T so I don't want to unlock it!!!

10. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Unlocking requires 3 extra steps. You just don't follow those and set.

Edit - I revised the typo in my above post.

12. jlluna macrumors 6502

A great website for jail breaking info is modmyi to.great instructions there.;)

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iClarified is better.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As far as I know there is no way to increase the vibration strength. I've heard you can make it pulse faster/slower instead but the side effect is that all other vibration effects in games will do the same which is annoying. I'm not sure you're going to find what you want to fix the vibration.

The good news is that there are plenty of ways to add custom SMS tones and vibration.

15. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

I had heard that you can make it vibrate 2 or 3 times instead of just the once.....you're saying that everything is going to vibrate that much?

16. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it true that you have to jailbreak each time an update comes out for the operating system.....which I heard is every few months?

17. shanew21 macrumors regular

Yes, or you can choose not to update. I'm still on 4.0.1 waiting for the 4.2 jailbreak to be released. Didn't feel like updating to 4.1 if 4.2 was right around the corner.

18. brendu macrumors 68020

I just got my first iPhone this past weekend and had been thinking about jailbreaking for weeks before buying it. I was timid at first because I did not want to brick my phone, but it really is simple. I used Limera1n and it works really well with iOS4.1

I am not sure about upgrading the OS versions when jailbroken. I will not be upgrading to 4.2 until I do alot more reading about the process. Changing SMS tones is a little bit of a process but I had NO experience with it and was able to do it fine last night.

Good luck with it!

19. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx Brendu....I am very skeptical about making the break.....any experience with increasing the vibration?

20. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's what she said.

21. brendu macrumors 68020

No, that is not something I have looked into yet. Do you want it to vibrate for longer when you receive texts / phone calls while on silent mode?

Also, search for your questions on youtube. I have found excellent tutorials for everything I have tried on youtube. Thats where I found the limera1n tutorial and the sms tone tutorial.

22. JohnnyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes...that's exactly what I want to do......I'll check it out!