Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
NY
Hey guys i had a few questions... Im interested in purchasing the iOS developer program so i can get iOS 5 on my ipad and iphone 4. However, i had a few questions:

1. Will this void my warranty? I know that i won't be able to downgrade back to the ios 4 baseband. I actually have a broken speaker right now and i don't want apple saying i voided my warranty with the beta os.

2. how many devices can you do a udid activation for?

thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't recommend it. Every year people do this and then the forum is full of people complaining about how unstable their device is and how Apple won't fix it because it's on the beta OS.

ace198

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Why would you do that when you can have someone register your device? You can pay a couple of dollar to have a developer register your iPhone on ebay for example.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I think it's pretty clear that the betas are only for developers that are looking to test their applications on a live device. There are normally bugs, issues, and other anomalies when Apple or anyone releases betas. Warranty isn't voided on the device but you can't request support on a device with beta software. Again, BETA means it's an unfinished product that is meant for testing purposes only. If you have more than 1 device, and you're developing or reviewing changes made to iOS, it's normally fine to install. If you're using only 1 primary iOS device, you really shouldn't install the BETA.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think it's pretty clear that the betas are only for developers that are looking to test their applications on a live device. There are normally bugs, issues, and other anomalies when Apple or anyone releases betas. Warranty isn't voided on the device but you can't request support on a device with beta software. Again, BETA means it's an unfinished product that is meant for testing purposes only. If you have more than 1 device, and you're developing or reviewing changes made to iOS, it's normally fine to install. If you're using only 1 primary iOS device, you really shouldn't install the BETA.

Agreed. Why pay $100 just to get a Beta program a few months early?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If this is your only phone and you use that phone regularly. I'd wait, as others have posted. The instability of a beta phone os could cause you more headaches then its worth.

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iMacUser324 said:
Well, if you deperately need it now, just use one of those sites like activateiosbeta.com and pay much less.

Are there any places (like an online dev community or something) that do this for free?

transam7816

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are there any places (like an online dev community or something) that do this for free?

Highly doubt it. If you find someone that does it for free..consider yourself extremely lucky

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
If $99 dollars is nothing to you and you won't mind any bugs that may come along with a beta OS, go for it. I personally don't think it is worth $99 for someone that is not a developer to waste on. The thing will be free when the complete final version is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.