Thinking About Purchasing MyWi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by THE dAY, Sep 26, 2010.

1. THE dAY macrumors 6502

For those that have purchased MyWi, Do you have any problems with it?

Any issues connecting your laptop or iPad?
    Does it make the iPhone glitchy in any way?
    Does it require a respring before or after use?

I've searched and most of the info I read is about problems with the cracked version.

I would like to purchase it now since it is through Cydia Store without Rock.

I have an iPhone 4 jailbroken on 4.0.1.

I would love to here your thoughts on the product from those that bought it.

Thanks in advance!

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I like it a bunch and can easily justify the price tag. I personally have not had any problems with it. I don't have an iPad so I cannot comment on that but I have connected several laptops, PSP, and my desktop to it without any problems.

3. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I works great. It only had to do a respiring twice so far. I think mostly because I was trying out others applications that were dealing with the comm. USB works great and my computer recognized it right away (OSX & Win), no configuring required. WiFi connecting 2 laptops to the hotspot, running like a champ. It also connects to an iPad with no problems, tried it on my friends. Phone does get hot, but I recommend that you have it plugged in when tethering.

I use it during some of my classes that don't have wifi :)

I didn't purchase it, but I got a full license when the Cydia store glitched thinking that I already purchased it during the Cydia/Rock merge.

The cost is high, but if your gonna use it, its totally worth it. Make sure you have a good data plan.

4. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

One of the reasons I did the jailbreak on my iPhone 4 was to use MyWi as a wi-fi hotspot specifically for my iPad. Works great. No issues encountered in 2+ months of use.

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

+1

I've had to respring once or twice with the legit version (when it told me it was necessary) and it always works right after. That being said, that doesn't happen too often.

One of the best ways to spend $20 on your phone. Especially us iPhone4 users who get sick upload speeds too.

6. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all very much for your thoughts!

As for the data plan, I have the unlimited plan.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Been on the fence because of the price.
    Good to hear it runs well.

8. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Been using it with my iPad for a couple of weeks. Awesome app. Highly recommended.
    However, I have had a few glitches with wifi once I finish with it and have found it best and easiest to respiring as I finish a session... Wouldn't let that put you off though. Ymmv.

9. nsbe1 macrumors member

i always have problems connecting laptop to it via wifi and i don't understand why. i can connect other ipods and ipads with no problems. usb tethering works fine with the laptop though.

10. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Do you still get the 10 day trial now that it's in cydia??

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes

12. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Thanks AJ!

13. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I have had mywi 4.0 since i jailbroke my iPhone 4 (jailbroke on the first day the jailbreak was available). I purchased my copy of the app. I use it mainly to "tether" my iPad, but at times I use it with my laptop as well. I have had to respiring my device only one time right after I purchased the app. I have had no issues with it at all. This is one of the main reasons that I jailbreak my phone. It does use up battery pretty quick, but that is to be expected, I recommend plugging in your iPhone while it is in use.

On a side note the cracked version was not working when I first jailbroke my phone so that is the reason I purchased it, the cracked version may have been updated by now fixing the issues, but i wouldn't know.

14. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

How hard is it to:

A) Jailbreak the iPhone 4?

B) Tether the iPad to the iPhone 4? -- how long does it take to "initiate" the tether (or whatever it's called)

Thanks!

15. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Just FYI if your trying to connect to MyWi with encryption on and it isn't working try and put 0x in front of the ten digit code.
    So for a wep key of 5555555555 it would be 0x5555555555.

Seems MyWi is looking for a different numbering system than standard 10 digits. I had mine just unprotected for a long time before I found the solution.

Hope that helps somebody out there!

16. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I finally bought it this past week after the "free" airport wifi sucked so badly that couldn't watch a streaming Netflix movie without stuttering every couple of minutes on my iPad. I haven't had any trouble so far. When I plug into my computer the first time it asked to add the iPhone as a new network connection.
    $20 is kinda hard to swallow for an iPhone app until you realize how much you save over an iPad 3G or for what I consider double-paying AT&T for tethering since I have the old unlimited data plan.

17. dgstan macrumors 6502a

18. kangaralph macrumors member

get tetherme. its $2. updated frequently.
    its like u were tethering normally

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Tetherme is not a hotspot, op want to connect the iPad using wifi

20. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I thought it was great until the update a few weeks ago. now it is junk! it works usually pretty well if you can get it to work. but I do lose the wifi signal alot but when it works I never lose the usb signal. I would not buy it. I cam currenty using the tetherme app and only use MyWi when I need the hotspot. there is supposed to be another $2 app coming out but that was announced over a month ago and still not out as far as I know.

21. nsbe1 macrumors member

update:
    i just needed to update my network adapter's drivers. works perfect.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, rock is all done.
    Everything goes thru Cydia now since it's the only jb AppStore out there.

23. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

MyWi is a great program made even better by the elimination (technically merger) of Rock.

24. THE dAY thread starter macrumors 6502

For those who have issues with MyWi connecting to your laptop, what iPhone do you have? 3G, 3GS, or 4?

Also is the laptop you're trying to connect to a macbook or pc?