Thinking about returning iPad for iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ObsidianBlade, Mar 31, 2012.

1. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

So as the topic title says, I'm considering returning my iPad 3 to get an iPhone 4S. Why? Three reasons:

1. It's a PITA to carry around sometimes
    2. It's a terrible phone. ( I don't have a cell )
    3. Friends/family don't like that I have a number for calling and a number for texting, with the former only working when the app is running.

I think I had some other reasons but I can't think of them at the moment. There are three problems I have with switching to an iPhone though.

1. It's not LTE.
    2. It's small in comparison to the iPad (duh)
    3. I don't like the idea of paying $91 a month.

Also, a question. I paid using my PayPal debit card. If I make a return, would they return it to the card or is it possible to get cash?

And lastly, thoughts on this?

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Those are two totally different devices and one is not to replace the other one, if anything it is to compliment one another.
    If you need a phone then buy a phone but it has nothing to do with the iPad at all.

3. Sir David macrumors newbie

I don't understand your 3rd point: "3. Friends/family don't like that I have a number for calling and a number for texting, with the former only working when the app is running."

4. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Well I substituted my old iPhone with the iPad so for me it does.

----------

I use Talkatone and Textfree. I always get my Textfree texts, but I won't receive calls or texts on Talkatone unless I have that app open.

5. Sir David macrumors newbie

Ah ok I understand but as dukeblue91 already said, the iPhone and iPad are two different devices. The iPad couldn't be so handy as an iPhone and couldn't replace all functions of a phone so I guess that you have to return your iPad.

6. xak macrumors regular

Odd. I have Talkatone on my iPad, linked to my Google Voice, and when I tested it I got a call without the app open (didn't test text though). Maybe it at least needs to be in the background?

But ya, I love the iPhone in general more than my iPad, if I had to choose between one or the other: iPhone.

You realize of course, one is MEANT to be a phone and thus small, and the other a tablet computer and thus larger without inherent cellphone capabilities.

7. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it at least has to be in the background but I have a tendency to close background apps. but that's on me of course. And yeah I know I'm being weird about comparing the devices.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well there's your problem :p

An iPad isn't, and isn't meant to be, a cell phone.

If what you need is a cell phone, either return for an iPhone or get some cheap calling/texting phone to use alongside your iPad.

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I to use talkatone with GV on my iPad mostly for international calls but I don't depend on it as my main Mobil phone.
    Can't you just get some cheap dumb phone or prepaid phone to solve your problem.

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

If you're going to use the iPad as a phone then you simply have to get over this tendency. There is really no reason for it anyways.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think you will find the iPhone 4s way more useful than an iPad.

12. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I thought Talkatone does texting as well. And unlike iMessages, it can communicate outside the iOS ecosystem.

13. azure247 macrumors 6502

I have more fun on my ipad than on my iphone4s. But everyone is different.

14. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

The iPhone is the more essential of the two, but if you can afford both, they complement each other wonderfully. Phone should be the priority, tablet comes second, but neither replaces the other.

15. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Nice to come back from lunch and see all these replies. Seems a few of you are in both camps. the biggest thing I'd miss from my iPad would be the ease of reading if I were to get rid of it and the LTE.

Also, if I do return it does the money go back onto my card or could I get cash back?

16. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I'm pretty sure it goes back on your card. How u pay is usually how it's given back. I say keep Ipad get a much cheaper phone , have both and save a ton each month.

17. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I think that you should get an iPhone before you get an iPad but that opinion can change depending on what things you prefer.

18. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Or you could get a cheapy phone that can text and keep the iPad. But yeah, otherwise maybe you should just get an iPhone 4S.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Return it, get a cheapo phone/iPhone, save money for the iPhone 5.

20. azure247 macrumors 6502

I honestly dont understand the OP. It seems like all he needs is a phone. If he wants an iphone over a regular phone, then he will later regret the small screen size and want an ipad.

21. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Word. +1

22. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Here's another vote for keeping the iPad. Get a dumb, pre-paid phone and use text free on the iPad for free texting. In the long run you will actually save money this way over getting a smartphone. Of course an iPad is not as portable as an iPhone, but only you would know how important that is.

23. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I'll put it like this.

A phone is more important to me than an iPad.

With that said, it's cheaper in the long run to buy a dumb phone and an iPad than an iPhone + 2 year contract.

I end up paying nearly 1200 a year for my iPhone..

24. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

uhhh im returning my 747 boeing cause its a terrible car. its a PITA to drive around sometimes, friends and family don't like the fact that i have a few different methods for travelling,

HOWEVER. theres a few problems i have with switching over to a car though,

its not as fast as my plane
    its small in comparison to the 747 (duh)
    i don't like the idea of payin- oh i guess i do pay less gas for a car.:rolleyes: