Thinking about returning my Samsung Galaxy SII

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djarpit, Oct 18, 2011.

1. djarpit macrumors regular

I've been an iphone 3GS -> Blackberry ->Iphone 4 User until last week.

On the Eve of iPhone 4s launch I decided to get the SII.

I like the Phone. But It just seems like a part of me is missing with this phone. I still have 3 weeks to try out and return this phone.

Anyone else had this experience? Comments? Suggestions?

2. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

It is a matter of preference. I had the galaxy s ii epic 4g touch and I just got the iPhone 4s. I prefer the 4s....everything about it.

3. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, its a tough position. I want both. :/

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That was clever :p

Return it and get an iPhone 4S. Unless you particularly value the larger screen on the SGS2 I can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

5. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

I've used an iPhone 4 and besides the faster processor and Camera. I didn't feel much of a difference but but do share if you used 4 and 4s and see a sig diff in performance..

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Long time android user here since G1, I won't go back. This was and is my first iphone and I see why there is such a cult following with these phones, THEY JUST WORK.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Indeed, I upgraded from 4 to 4S.

As a result I have:
    - 32GB more storage. Awesome.
    - An even better camera; the iPhone is my primary camera, so this is a biggie.
    - A much faster processor. iOS 5 flies on this thing, the transitions are scarily slick, and I know it'll be good for whatever apps I want to throw at it over the course of the next year.
    - Siri, though that's just a bit of fun for me rather than an essential :)

Plus it's Apple, and I'm a Mac user that buys via iTunes, and it has iCloud, so it's really a solution that no other manufacturer can provide.

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

In simple tasks, there's not a big difference. Apps load a little faster, but it's no big deal. Where I really feel the speed difference is in heavy processing apps like Photo editing. I'm a photographer, and so even when I'm using my phone camera, I like to have creative control. I use PhotoForge 2 quite a bit, and on the 4, it can be a bit of a dog. You can do multi-layer images much like Photoshop on the PC/Mac, which bogs down quickly on the 4. On the 4S, it is MUCH snappier. Really big improvement.

Likewise in Hipstamatic, the processing of images is at least 3-4 times as fast (though part of this is because Hipstamatic needs a fix to restore full resolution on the 4S...it's limiting to 1200x1200...still, I'd imagine even when full res, it'll be at least twice as fast.)

iMovie will have a big bump. Of course, processing 1080p vs 720p will mean more is required for the same speed, but it is faster as well.

Big games like Infinity Blade also load much faster, and I'd imagine that it'll be great for newer 4S only games that can really take advantage of the 4S' processing power.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Respectfully, it sounds like you didn't do your research, or perhaps it was an impulse buy. You are clearly very attached to Apple (as am I) and are not the kind of customer that would enjoy anything else.

I have two lines and truly enjoy both my SGS II & iPhone 4. I passed on the 4S because it just doesn't appeal. The next iPhone is the one I plan to buy.

10. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

I did the same thing, except i got my G S II the day of the 4S announcement. Played with it for a week, couldn't understand why i didnt like it much but i just didn't. Returned it and got a 4S on launch day no problem.

My advice, return it grab a 4S, i love mine.

Edit: i was coming from a 3GS too.

11. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I would completely agree with this. Another specific app where I see a huge difference in opening time is SoundHound. Where it used to take 10-15 seconds for it to open and begin listening, it now takes less than 2 seconds. An amazing improvement when you're in a hurry to listen before a song ends. :D

Seeing as how my 3GS was jailbroken and I used biteSMS for quick reply, one of my biggest concerns coming to the 4S and iOS5 was that Apple still hasn't included quick reply. But I've found over the few days that I've had it that I don't miss quick reply as much as I thought I would. That's because it's lightening fast going from the lockscreen to the messages app to reply. I'm amazed.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Got the SG2 and don't miss the iphone much. Couldn't believe the level of customization (it's nice not staring at 3 pages of app squares and that's it). Change the wall paper, woo hoo!!!!!! Phone is faster than my 4, does just about everything better than the 4, gives me the bigger screen I wanted and the notifications are top notch. I suspect what is missing comfort and the perceived "prestige" of people seeing you with an iPhone. With that said, I've had more people see the Galaxy S II on the back of my phone and ask a ton of questions, far more than any iPhone I've had. If the 4s weren't a boosted 4, I would have probably stuck with iPhone. The fact it wasn't gave me a opportunity to try android, so far I love it. I'm not a blind follower who just believes everything apple tells me and lines up year after year with money in hand because "apple is best". As it stands right now there isn't a thing the 4s does better than the SGS2. Realistically apple took 15+mos to come close to a phone that's been out for the last 7mos (overseas).

13. oshia86 macrumors regular

Well, you know, there is that sales thing.

I do love both of the phones. Just can't get past some of the quirkiness of Android.

14. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I have to admit, I am curious about some of the Android phones. I have used my Dad's Evo a bit, and a few other ones, and usually I feel like there's just a few very annoying things that crop up that bug me to no end, and I have this nagging feeling that these things would continue to crop up.

One of my friends switched from a 3Gs to a Droid Incredible 2 recently, and the first week, it was all "I love that I can customize, it feels like a real OS, not a kiddie OS, etc, etc." Within a week it was "yeah, there are a lot of little things that are very annoying and lack polish." Now, he's still relatively happy with the phone, but the enthusiasm has waned.

15. robd54 macrumors member

I've had iPhones since the original and when I sold my 4 a few days before the 4S came out, I bought the SGII to try as I was very intrigued by android and that phone specifically. I'm not a hardcore apple "fanboy", both me and my wife have iPhones and a couple Apple TV's but that's it. I must say, I was extremely impressed with the GSII. I really LOVED the bigger screen and feel for the phone, the alerts were impressive and I've said it since iPhone 1, but I really wish Apple would put icons in the top tray for email/txt/etc like android has. The camera was great, loved the level of customization and the multiple home screens with widets. In the end however, I did return it for a 4S.
    My main reasons were
    -my current investment in apps/music/movies, ease of syncronization with iTunes (although most of my music worked with android, my videos did not and it was more time consuming to sync it all)
    -sharing apps with my wife, not having to buy angry birds twice, lol
    -Biggest one probably was that my work doesn't support android yet for corp email and calendar (not until they support sd card encryption)

I could get by 1 and 2, but 3 was a big one for me. Overall, I'd probably go back, however I'm hopeful the iPhone 5 will be what I hoped this one would be.

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Apple innovates, Samsung copies. Where should your money go?

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No one is expecting Samsung, HTC, Moto, ect to steal apple fan boys away. But what apple did do with the 15mos spec bump of 4s over 4 is open a window for those of us who think for ourselves and base our opinion on experience and not what a CEO or COO tells us is "revolutionary" to go out and try another device and have an open mind about it (I know that's a rarity in these parts). iPhone 4s for previous 4 users is like "been there, done that". I suspect it was the same for 3g users when 3gs came out.

----------

I can post a video of Steve stating "we have no problems stealing good ideas". How's your android *cough* Apple *cough* notification system going?

18. Lukus macrumors member

There are no words.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Had the same experience with the EVO 4G. Great hardware & data speeds, but that's were it ended. Android experience was cool for a moment, but eventually to many problems started to occur, and battery life was a bitch to deal with. I tried everything from rooting, custom roms, and tweaks but nothing made it even as close to as smooth and near flawless as iOS on the iPhone.

If I try something else again, it won't be anything Android. Most likely Windows Phone, if or when it matures.

20. oshia86, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

oshia86 macrumors regular

Lots of dumb in this post. Try to argue intelligently, please. It's more fun that way.

I based my opinion on experience. I was real close to getting a S2, but I liked the 4s more. That is my opinion, and nobody gave it to me. You can't sit there and tell us to keep an open mind and then totally dismiss the iPhone. You then become the contradicting mouth breather that you seem to assume iPhone users are.

21. xxxsteveoxxx macrumors member

xxxsteveoxxx

I returned my Samsung epic 4g touch galaxy s II for the iPhone 4S. It was the last day of my 30 day return period. No questions asked, walked in and walked out, easy. Glad I did. My GSII was buggy and had terrible battery life even after being serviced and replaced.

22. richard371 macrumors 68000

I returned the g2 once my 4s arrived. Apple took a great phone and made it almost perfect rather then reinventing the wheel. 2 things that bugged me about the g2 were the poorer wifi reception and the fact it takes 3 hours to charge the battery. I still think it is the best Android but I still prefer iOS iphone .

23. juswest macrumors regular

Trying the S2 out right now. Android isn't the headache I was led to believe it is. Battery life seems decent. I don't really miss my iPhone, but I'm curious which phone has better battery life.

24. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

25. BoxerGT2.5, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My response was to the remark about the sales numbers and those people who never step foot out of the apple box to make up their own minds. Not your situation directly, I'm sure you owned the S2 and gave it a good test and made up your mind the 4s was best for you.