Carrier Thinking about switching from AT&T???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdog5142, Nov 5, 2015.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I've been with AT&T since they were Cingular. However, I've been heavily considering switching to T-Mobile with their $100 2-lines, 10GB per line and music streaming is free deal. Was about to make the switch, but was still concerned about coverage...so I thought I'd call AT&T to see what they would do for me.

I'm on the Family Share 15GB plan and we pay $130 per month for that. (My wife & I each have a 6S though the Apple Payment Plan.) I simply asked for the retentions department right off the bat and was transferred. Told the rep what I was thinking about doing and she immediately offered to bump our plan to 20GB shared per month and a $50 bill credit. Couldn't offer the $100 per month, but that was what she could do.

I figured for the assured coverage...I'll stay put for now. The data is rollover so I'll be all set there (the most I've used in a month is 13GB and that was a rare month that I travelled...wife uses around 1.5GB) and the $50 was a bonus.

2. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

Thanks for sharing, you probably could have got the same deal if you simply sent a picture of your stache ;). It's good to hear some companies are willing to wiggle a little to help you out.

3. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

LOL! Shoulda tried that!

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

So is ATT offering 20GB for $100 mobile share at retentions level?

Right now it's 15gb for $100 plus $15/line.

5. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

No. They upped me to 20 GB but couldn't lower the price. They did give me a $50 bill credit for one month. I may try again in a month to see if they can get closer to that $100 rate.

6. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I switched when the 6s came out, after about 20yrs (mid 90's if I remember right) with an AT&T Wireless plan. I tried retention, but they weren't very helpful. they kept insisting I dump my grandfathered unlimited plan, which I didn't want to do. Looking at my data usage it may have made some sense, but I just hate worrying about restrictions. Biggest issue is that they would no let me use mobile hotspot capabilities, again because I was unlimited. So, after about 20yrs, I dumped their butts.

T-Mobile is probably saving me $40-50 a month. I have my mobile hot spot, plus a number of other cool features & services (roaming/LD Canada & Mexico, International wifi roaming, etc.,). It's cheaper, simpler, and no nickel and diming.

Regarding the network, that's a mixed bag. So far, from my limited use, voice quality has been excellent. I've yet to be in a spot where I couldn't make or receive a call, but I've only made about 2 trips since switching. The data part is mixed - sometimes, I get incredible speeds (faster than AT&T was). A few times, it's felt more like dial-up speeds. The slow data rates have been rare for me, so far, but I'm still reluctant to advise everyone jump until I get a better handle on it. I do feel as if T-Mobile is making investments in its network, so time will tell.

Overall, I'm really happy that I switched. I still have unlimited data, which is a must for me. I've been using the heck out of the wifi hotspot capabilities, to the point where I now wonder how I lived without it. And I've already saved a C-Not, in the two months since I switched. Assuming T-Mobile's network continues to improve and not degrade, they might have me for the next 20 years?

Funny thing is that I would have staid with AT&T, even paying the additional $40-50 a month, if they would have just allowed me to use the wifi hotspot. But I'm now glad they didn't, because I'm saving $500-600 a year and getting more for it.

7. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I was having issues with AT&T and was pretty fed up with them. There was a down tower in my area and it affected service for about a month or two. I was ready to switch to Verizon and decided to test out their network through the Samsung Test Drive Promotion. So glad I didn't actually switch! Verizon is awful in my area, download speeds were like dial-up, and it would drop down to 3G, which on Verizon is crap. After all of this AT&T eventually fixed the degraded tower and I'm back to having good service. I always thought Verizon was the best carrier in New York.

8. Ladyc0524 macrumors member

Ladyc0524

Same here. Tried Verizon out for a few days in the areas I frequent most. Their coverage is terrible where I live and work. Sticking with AT&T

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You probably could've gotten them to knock off a few bucks if you held firm. Particularly considering that you could've gotten unlimited data for your line, and 3GB of data for your wife on T-Mobile for $10 a month less. Then there's this four-line family plan.

10. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I've been with AT&T since the late 80s. They were my second phone company, I went from LA Cellular to AT&T then Cingular back to AT&T. I briefly had a second line with Verizon but coverage for me was bad. Tried T-zMobile on that second line and also bad.
    Staying put with AT&T.

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I also tried Verizon and T-Mobile in the Philly area and while Verizon was better than T-Mobiles coverage, neither one gave me what I'm getting with AT&T. Where I work Verizon drops to only 3G service while T-Mobile is on EDGE. AT&T is at least 2 bars of LTE which is perfectly fine for my needs. Verizon commercials lead people to believe that they are the best. However, real time testing shows otherwise....

12. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Verizon is terrible for me in Northern Virginia and Maryland. The commute down to DC is full of dead zones.
    I don't have the same problem on AT&T.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So basically they just have you $50? Att was always good to me with bill credits. But you called wanting to save money and are effectively spending more now, right? I got tired of this and I also got tired of dealing with their deceptive "unlimited" terminology. I bailed for s metered plan only to find out those who stuck around have unlimited data (throttle risk on congested towers st 25GB I think) and talk now for about $65 a month per line. I was very happy with the service but I had enough. I bought the BS for a while, too.

14. bgro macrumors 6502a

I called retentions and was offered the old double the data plan.30gb for $130/monthly. Plus rollover data. Figured that was just about as good as T-Mobile (considering most of my data is music streaming).

15. braeburnbliss macrumors newbie

braeburnbliss

They will double your data for free if you push hard enough and stress the long time customer thing. I know people getting 20GB for $100 with ATT.

16. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I still have Unlimited data with AT&T. Their new throttle limit is after 22GB, only IF one is in a congested area. I'll never have to worry about that in my area so I can use more than 22GB. Also, if you were saying that AT&T's unlimited is going up to $65 per line, that is not what I'm hearing. Only Verizon Unlimited data plans are increasing, not AT&T's.

17. Ladyc0524 macrumors member

Ladyc0524

I got this deal last year and still have it. Love it, especially with the rollover data

18. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I think we all are really paying to darn much for our carriers service.
    I give T Mobil credit for breaking the back of many demanding 2 year contracts.
    Now if we can find a way to break all the carriers, and their many high priced plans things would be much better.

19. Maltoo2 macrumors member

We have 20 gig for 100, and retention gave me 137.31 bill credit, do not know why the weird number but there you go.

They may be giving me more today if they do get get my son's phone unlocked by the end of the day!

20. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I figured I'd take this one and then go from there. The $50 credit gave me a lower rate for one month. We'll see how it all pans out. Then I'll call again to see what they'll do. Again, my biggest concern is coverage. I really don't want to go through the hassle of moving to T-Mo and coverage being REALLY bad. Most people in the Detroit area tell me that T-Mo is okay and spotty in many areas. $30 cheaper service that doesn't work well isn't a deal. Then I'd have to go through the hassle of moving back to AT&T.

21. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I wonder what the coverage and signal quality, is with Sprint in Detroit is?

22. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Ive heard worse things about Sprint. AT&T is great and Verizon does better "Up North".

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I was going to add T-mobile's test drive here, but it looks like they already stopped doing it. That was a great way to test if T-mobile is good in your area or not.

24. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Yeah...I thought of that too, but oh well.

25. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

They didn't stop doing it. They are just out of stock according to this memo that is posted on their website:

Unfortunately, Test Drive is out of stock
    T-Mobile Test Drive is even more popular than we thought. All of our Test Drive devices are checked out, but we don't want that to stop you.

Sign up and we'll send you an email when more Test Drive devices are available, which should be within 4 to 6 weeks. https://explore.t-mobile.com/TestDrive/Register1.aspx