Thinking about switching from galaxy s5 to 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luv4u859, Oct 2, 2015.

1. luv4u859 macrumors newbie

luv4u859

So for as long as I remember I've had android phones. I've always liked them and would never even bat my eyes at the iPhone, but I've been thinking over the past couple days and I really think I'm ready to make the switch.

Honestly I'm just really ready for a change. I do like my s5 but I have been contemplating the iPhone for a while.

I was in the store the other day playing with the new 6s and I fell in love with it. I loved everything about the phone.

Of course[​IMG] in the end I'm gonna make my own decision but I need you guys to kinda sell me. I think my biggests thoughts are I really don't like the iPhones keyboard, but I downloaded swift on my ipad last night and it worked great so that problem is solved. My other thing is I'm so upset to being able to customize the android that I feel I'm not going to be able to get used to that.

You think the 14 day trial would be enough time to get used to a new OS? I have a ipad that I use daily often so iOS wouldn't be brand new to me. I have alre have an iTunes account since I have a ipod classic. I'm really wanting to try it out and see how I like it I just don't want to not be able to be sure in 14 days and then be stuck with it.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I did exactly this switch this week, but I was an iPhone user prior to getting my S5 last November. Absolutely love the 6s. Battery is much better than my S5, screen is wonderful, etc... The 6s is quite a bit smaller, and the biggest issue is that it's much more slippery. Might end up getting a case with more traction.

What sort of customizations have you done to your Android world? Maybe some of them aren't needed? And yes, if you're using your phone daily for 14 days, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to tell if the phone works for you.

C

3. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I switched from a Galaxy to the iPhone 6 and can't believe I spent 2 years on contract with an Android phone.

4. throwthedice macrumors regular

I switched from Android (Nexus) to iphone6s+. It's been a mixed bag for me. I really miss the back button, the ease of just downloading that song off some site and playing it with a player I like, amazing ways to share things etc. but then I look at the battery life, the camera of the iphone (way better than Nexus)..sigh..like I said, it's a mixed bag really. You have to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I do miss the back button on my Samsung. But when I was using the Samsung, what I missed even more was the ability to tap the top of the screen to go to the top of the app page (like Safari). No more scrolling up! HATED that about the Android OS!

C

6. throwthedice macrumors regular

C - I don't really use the whole "Tap on top" thing, I do however miss the "smooth scrolling" from my Android. Scrolling through Safari is a PITA

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Oh, scrolling on my S5 was MUCH worse than on my iPhone, at least in the default browser...

C

8. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

I'm actually typing this from the 6s in the Apple Store. Some things I had customized was a widget for weather, widget for Twitter, Facebook, for an app, one for the battery percentage, the App Store, and other then that I just had apps placed on 5 different screens but I deleted all the screens but the main one the other day so try to get used to somewhat of an iPhone feel.

I gotta really debate on the size. Holding it in my hands right now it is really small. Would definitely be something to get used to and I really don't want the plus.

9. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

That's okay for me. The tap on top doesn't work on my s5 or maybe I just don't have it set up to do it and I never used the default browser on my phone, I downloaded crome right away and used that.

10. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit confused... Why do you mean with the "apps on 5 different screens, but you deleted all the screens but the main one"? You can organize your apps on your iPhone/iPad into multiple screens too. Group them by type, by vendor, whatever. The only thing you can't do is move them around on the screen to leave gaps.

I do know what you mean about some of the widgets. I liked the weather widget in particular. Didn't have to open the weather app to see what the temp was. That was really the only widget I used.

And you can put the battery percentage in your status bar. One of the first things I turned on when I got my 6s.

The "Tap On Top" is only on the iPhones, as they patented it. It DOESN'T work on the S5. And I missed that functionality when I moved to the Android world.

I do find the 6s to be a little small compared to my S5. I wish Apple had a phone in between the two sizes, but what can you do. The 6s seems to fit in my pocket much better than my S5 ever did. Heck, it even fits better than the iPhone 4 that I was using temporarily. The edges are nice and rounded, as opposed to sharp like that little phone.

C

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

A longtime iOS user switching to Android is going to love some things and miss some things. The same goes for a longtime Android user switching to iOS. It goes with the territory as both are completely different operating systems. If you have an iPad already then you should have a very good idea about what you're letting yourself in for.

Only you can decide but scribble down a list of pros and cons to switching. Really think about your list and come to a decision.

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

BTW, you could consider buying a used iPhone 6 for now. You won't lose much money if you decide to sell it in a month, and you'll get 90% of the functionality. And then you could sell the 6 when you're sure you want to go iOS, and buy a shiny new 6s or 7 when they're out.

C

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have a feeling that the iPhone 7 will have reduced bezels and a 5" screen version. I agree that the 4.7" phone is too small, especially for someone coming from Android.

14. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

I don't mean screens the way that they are on the iphone/ipad, I mean home screens. I had 5 of those but deleted them the other day and then I have the app button that I click on to get to the rest of the apps.

And you say about the edges being rounded, I love that about the phone. I really gotta think about the size. I know I have the 14 days but I'm also pretty sure there is a restocking fee if I would return it.

15. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Buy it directly from Apple. No restocking.

C

16. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

How much would it be from apple? Of course that's the 1 thing I didnt check while I was in the store. I have sprint so it would have been no money down and now this new monthly payments they have, so them 26 a month. 19 if I turn in my s5

17. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

I made this same switch about a week ago. I miss 2 things going from the Galaxy s5 to the iPhone 6s.

1) I miss the back button. It is great and I really miss it.

2). I miss the larger screen size. I didn't want to 6s+ due to it being too big. The 6s is just a touch smaller than ideal.

With that being said, I couldn't be any happier coming back to an iPhone. It is faster, smoother and just an all around more stable device. The pluses far outweighs the 2 negatives.

18. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

Saying that and coming from android, do you see yourself staying or eventually going back to android?

I have 2 weeks until I could get it anyway so I still have time to think about it.

19. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

I don't see myself going switching from iOS anytime soon. I should have never left iPhone to begin with.

I love having FaceTime and iMessages back. I also love the stability and how fast the 6s is. There is no going back.

20. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

If I do choose to get the iPhone which I have decided in 2 weeks when I get paid if I still want it I'm gonna get it, will I be able to connect it with my ipad?

And also I have a iTunes account, I wouldn't want all my music on my phone it would take up to much space but could I put a couple songs on it?

21. CjonesHouston macrumors 6502a

CjonesHouston

If you decide to use Apple Music. You can upload all of your music to iCloud and stream your music from iCloud. Or you can download what you want on your device and leave the rest in the iCloud. You can also connect it to iTunes like your iPad and add what you want. Your iPad will work flawlessly with your iPhone. Texting,calling, continuity and downloading apps. Will all sync together. If you have a Mac it will do most of the same.

It should be easy for you to switch sense you already have a iPad. The only thing you will really miss is the customization. Apple has a larger catalog of apps that actually work. I have a iPhone 6s Plus and a Galaxy Note that I got from my job. If I had to choose one it would be the iPhone.

Better battery
    Better apps
    The Eco system
    No lag

22. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I just went from a Galaxy s5 to iPhone 6s Plus. I was an iPhone user for years before getting the Galaxy 6 months ago, so a bit different situation from yours. I liked a lot about the s5 but really don't care for Android. I think it takes about 6 months to really decide on a platform.

Things I liked better on the s5...
    - keyboard for sure. Swiftkey helps, but it also keeps reverting back to the standard keyboard sometimes... not sure why. this is probably the biggest thing I preferred on Android is the keyboard.
    - back button was nice, but not that big of a deal because apps give you a way back.
    - color saturation (over saturation) of the OLED display makes the 6s Plus seem a little more dull... but the other was overdone
    - didn't worry about breaking it without a case... the plastic has a little more bounce and the case is more grippy. that said, the 6s Plus seems pretty durable and is pretty easy to hold after you get used to it. I think a drop would cause a more noticeable ding on it than the s5 though.

Overall, to me, the iPhone experience is so much more polished and "just works" most of the time. One major annoying thing about the s5 is that it kept coming on in my pocket without me knowing it and I'd look and see the flashlight glowing in my pocket, or come out of a store to discover I've had music blaring from my pocket and didn't realize it. I've never had an iPhone do that.

23. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I had more pocket dials and pocket texts in one year with my S5 than I've had with all my iPhones together, from a 3GS to my 6s. That was a big reason for me switching.

C

24. DavidMc macrumors member

Not coming from S5 but Note 4 to 6s+. My first smart phone that I paid for was a 3G and then upgraded to a 4 and used that for the two year contract was up. At the end of that 2 years I had been using Android phones with larger screens for my work phone so I ventured to the S3. Spent a year with that phone and moved to the Note 3 and then upgrade to the Note 4. Lately been dealing with terrible battery life on the Note 4 since 5.0.1 and always had an itch to go back to iOS.

Received my 6s+ yesterday but already there are positives and negatives to this experience. I didn't think I was that entrenched into Android but some of the features I got used too. But there are some that drove me nuts. One specific on the my Notes is when you increase audio volume passed half you get this warning about hearing damage but that isn't nagging me on my 6s+ so far or I haven't raised volume loud enough yet. However, with volume controls not as separated, I slept through alarms this AM because I didn't have the main volume up loud enough. I love the battery indicator for the LG headphones I have but at the same time the battery seems to drain faster on the headphones connected to the iPhone vs. the Note 4. I could go days on a charge listening to Google Play Music but yesterday my headphones were dead from medium in about an hour. There are more things like that but coming from iOS use for 4 years, a lot was expected.

Part of me wants to box it up and pay the restocking fee at AT&T but I am going to use it through the weekend and at least end of next week before making any decision. I do miss my Moto 360 which doesn't work as well for me as i read. Notifications came in spurts and of course you can't do anything with them even from Hangouts. All the new watches Moto just released aren't there let alone the 3rd party ones which I knew wouldn't be. I don't have the cash for a Apple watch but also wouldn't want the first gen version anyway.

25. luv4u859 thread starter macrumors newbie

luv4u859

Ny s5 does the same exact thing and it drives me crazy. What are some of your other negatives going from android to iphone?

I ordered mine last night, should be getting here in 2 to 5 days, I'm going into it with a clear head cuz I know, coming from a different operating system there are going to be positives and negatives. I really want to like it though lol