Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Stupid idea kiddo. You'll already stand out as one of the few with a laptop and an expensive mac ontop of that. Too much risk for trying to look cool. You'll be fine with the schools slow computers, I bet all the other kids in your class are.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
What's the point of even owning a laptop if you aren't going to bring it places?

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Stupid idea kiddo. You'll already stand out as one of the few with a laptop and an expensive mac ontop of that. Too much risk for trying to look cool. You'll be fine with the schools slow computers, I bet all the other kids in your class are.

I guess. It just drives me nuts having to wait 5+ min to log in and open the internet when im used to my MBP doing it in 20 seconds :eek:

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
I guess. It just drives me nuts having to wait 5+ min to log in and open the internet when im used to my MBP doing it in 20 seconds :eek:

I wanna slap you right now. You sound just like my little brother. Keep it home!

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
As a senior student myself just starting my last year of high school, I have been bringing my 13" MBP to school since last March with nary an issue.

As long as you keep an eye on it AT ALL TIMES and use it when necessary (you mentioned the library and your online classes so thats not bad, I use mine in nearly every subject, why write when I can type? :cool:) then you shouldn't have an issue. Oh and having a large group of people you know does help ;) *no attempts of pinching, knock on wood :D* then again being tall, senior and overshadowing helps too :p

Word of caution, be wary of carrying object that have ANY kind of point on it i.e power supplies or anything. I left my power supply in with my MBP and it came out with a nasty lot of deep scratches :mad: but yeah, books and such should be no issue.

You should be fine, I had your concerns when I brought mine to school. Nothing to worry about :) for as long as your vigilant and sociable. Yeah.

Goodluck :D

EDIT: The computers in my school here in Aus are just as crappy. Still on XP and using dog slow Celeron/Pentium 4 crap. Gotta love public education. Half an hour to start Word '07 :) tried and tested.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I would like to add to my earlier post that even though I did bring it to school, I watched it like a hawk. I had my iPod stolen from me at that same school like a year before that, and since then I've developed a very strong sense of distrust toward other high school students. If they see something valuable that they can't have, many people who normally wouldn't steal might decide that it's worth it. Just keep an eye on your computer at all times, and you should be fine.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
You want to carry it all day, have to keep a constant eye on it, worry about making sure you aren't setting your backpack down too hard for the computer inside, just to use it for two classes?

Sounds like it's a lot more work (and risk of damage/theft) than it's worth. But that's just me.

It's your laptop. You have to think is it worth all that to you and how much risk you are willing to take that something happens to it vs. the benefit you'll get from having it. I'd at least see if your parents can't get the laptop insured under whoever insures their house or car before you do that (state farm insures my laptop for 30 dollars a year from theft or damage). At least you would be covered then if something did happen.

I think you'll find it is more of a pain in the neck than you realize (it's just not practical to save you from a little longer loading screen on the school's computer). And if it were me, it wouldn't be worth the risk of my computer being damaged or stolen (all it takes is one time of you not looking. A laptop is a big temptation to any dishonest person. I'd listen to the guy who commented above me. I know that it is a very common thing in colleges at least for any unattended laptops to get stolen, one of the more stolen items).

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2010
As a senior student myself just starting my last year of high school, I have been bringing my 13" MBP to school since last March with nary an issue.

As long as you keep an eye on it AT ALL TIMES and use it when necessary (you mentioned the library and your online classes so thats not bad, I use mine in nearly every subject, why write when I can type? :cool:) then you shouldn't have an issue. Oh and having a large group of people you know does help ;) *no attempts of pinching, knock on wood :D* then again being tall, senior and overshadowing helps too :p

Word of caution, be wary of carrying object that have ANY kind of point on it i.e power supplies or anything. I left my power supply in with my MBP and it came out with a nasty lot of deep scratches :mad: but yeah, books and such should be no issue.

You should be fine, I had your concerns when I brought mine to school. Nothing to worry about :) for as long as your vigilant and sociable. Yeah.

Goodluck :D

EDIT: The computers in my school here in Aus are just as crappy. Still on XP and using dog slow Celeron/Pentium 4 crap. Gotta love public education. Half an hour to start Word '07 :) tried and tested.

Thanks for your help.

I decided I am not going to bring it today, since I finished all of my work last night so it would just be useless bringing it. Maybe tom though

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
It sounds like you are trying to find a reason to take it tbh.
If you don`t actually need it for any classes you attend you will just be carrying around a dead-weight.
A dead-weight which will make you paranoid about leaving your bag/dropping your bag,getting your bag wet etc.etc.etc.

I carry mine around a lot for work but if I have no need of it that day then it stays at home or I`ll take the iPad.
Maybe try it for a few days and if you find you don`t get the use out of it then leave it safely at home, I know I wouldn`t be happy about using my MBP around some of the morons I went to school with ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.