Thinking about taking my MBP to school for the 1st time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. Just as the title states, I may take my MBP to school tom. This is because I have a online class and cant stand the slow school computers. I am still in grade 12, so 99% of the students dont bring laptops.

I was wondering if my MBP would be ok in my backpack (in a incase sleeve), as my backpack weighs about 15lbs, so if it falls down on its side, 15lbs may be on top of my MBP. Do you think the MBP would be ok?

Im scared about having it stolen, though I do go to a pretty good school, so that kind of stuff shouldnt happen.

Anybody else take their MBP to school?

2. C01E macrumors member

C01E

Is there any reason why you would need to leave the MBP anywhere where it could fall on its side and have the 15 pounds on it? If so, Dont, because if you ever have a reason to set it down besides lunch, You really didn't need to bring it with you in the first place.

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Make sure the contents of your backpack doesn't get on top of your MBP if you set the backpack down.

Btw, thievery happens everywhere, so do not for a second leave it unattended.

4. svenn macrumors 6502

As long as you're not playing football with your bag, I don't see a problem. And if you're worried about it being stolen, I probably would not leave it sitting around unattended. But that's just me, I'm weird like that :rolleyes:

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldnt leave it. But I cant use it during of my classes, so it would be in my backpack. I carry my backpack on me at all times.

My backpack could tip over while sitting on the floor beside me, thus having the pressure from my textbook on top

6. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

I take mine to school and I'm only in 9th grade HA. But it really depends if that type of thing is common in your school or isnt. I go to a small private school, where many people bring there computers. Feel free m8. Just dont get robbed

7. stev3n macrumors 6502

As long as you take your computer with you and don't leave it around you don't have to worry about it being stolen. You could also get a backpack that is made for carrying a computer.

8. 184550 Guest

With the books I had to lug around senior year of HS, there's no way that I would have put a laptop in my book bag.

IMO, it's not advisable. Do you have a padded messenger bag you could use?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd pass. At my school we couldn't even get online unless it was with a school computer through their network. That may well be the case at your school. Plus it's liable to get damaged or stolen. Heck, I'm in college and I still take notes on paper rather than on my computer.

10. Kauai macrumors 6502a

If there is at least a separate laptop compartment, the MBP should be able to withstand a few textbooks. My HP certainly could, without a scratch. If a MBP pro can't do that...wow, that's sad. :rolleyes:

11. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like a second bag? No. That would also be a target as it screams "Hey I have a laptop in here!"

I just have one of those incase sleeves.

I dont no if it would be 15lbs, but I have a binder and a one textbook

12. 184550 Guest

Another college pen and paper user here.

Well, if its only one medium sized binder and medium sized book I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However, in my experience, anything that can go wrong in HS, usually will.

13. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

No we have a wireless network for personal devices.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Are you guys serious? It's a freaking aluminium box. 15 pounds is nothing, especially as it would be a distributed load.

If you want to take it to school, do it. But preferably buy a case for it in your bag. More so it doesn't get scratched than for the weight, although it would greatly help with that too. Just obviously make sure it is either never out of your sight, or locked up somewhere, at all times.

15. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats what I thought, but apparently 15lbs may be to much...I do have a sleeve.

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

The only risk of 15 pounds damaging your computer is if it's concentrated into a small area. I cannot imagine 7kg of books damaging your computer unless there was a hole punch between them.

Put it in a case (even a sleeve would do), keep it next to a book, and there will be no damage.

I just tried applying around 15kg (verified by bathroom scales) to the top of my MBP with my hands. No problem. 15lbs is insignificant.

17. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I brought my '08 MBP to high school a couple years ago. I had 3 full sized textbooks in the backpack with it, and I carried the MBP around with me all day (in an Incase sleeve). The machine was fine at the end of the day. Only reason I didn't do it again was that 3 textbooks + a 15" MBP was really heavy... Almost broke my back.

18. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

High schools actually allow you to bring laptops to class? I'm 25 so I've been out of hs almost 8 years. When I was in high school the teachers and principals were very annoying on what to bring and not to bring to school, and electronic device were on the top of their not to bring list.

19. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for going out of the way to test.

I didnt think about the extra weight. Thats going to be annoying. But im still undecided whether or not I should bring it.

20. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont think I am aloud to actually use it during class. I have 2 online classes, so I would just go to the library where i can use it

21. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Please leave it unattended. I could use a second MBP.

22. axu539 macrumors 6502a

There are some computer related courses in high school now. I brought mine to school that day to work on a video project. The crappy G4 iMacs in the library just couldn't handle the encoding lol.

23. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, at least you have macs. We have some very slow windows machines.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

We have 2007 iMacs and 2007 MacBooks at my school. I've seen a few unibody MacBook (white) ... probably to replace a broken 2007 one.
    If I brought my computer to school, I'd just carry it in my hands (in an Incase Sleeve). Thats how most people do it in my school (without the sleeve though) ... or they just throw it in their Backpacks

25. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would, but very few people actually bring laptops. I dont want to be a 'target'.