Thinking I may not upgrade my mini HDD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jmcgeejr, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I already upgraded the drive to a 256GB SSD, I ordered the sata cable and was thinking of doing a raid 0 but now I am thinking meh why bother taking it apart again, it works and it's fast and i have plenty of storage space on it. I use a firewire 1TB for time machine right now and it's plenty fast enough.

Ideas?

2. tom29786 macrumors member

You could use this, an OWC Mercury Elite-Al Pro naked about $84 from OWC. Put in 2 Hitachi 500 gb 7200 speed hard drives that you supply or WD Black 500 gb 7200, and it will be fast run with firewire 800. The Hitachi hard drives can be gotten from B&H Photo for $59, no tax, no shipping. I ordered 2 yesterday at 8 am here in MD today at 12 noon. You have your choice of several raids. This was suggested to me by Phill that posted the photos of the hard drive changes on the new mini. Works good!!

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

very fast good solid gear. great piece of equipment. buy an empty one put in a pair of 1tb samsungs and you will up to 2tb (raid0) of very fast storage. I have a review of them on this site.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1180415&highlight=

right now I have hitachi 500gb 7200 rpms in them and I run them as a snow and as a lion with my 2009 2x esata hack