Thinking of Applying Screen Protector before EVER touching the screen...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musika, Oct 13, 2011.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I'm thinking of applying my screen protector tomorrow before even powering on my new phone. Talk about lint-free, clear as can be!

2. meder87 macrumors regular

Thats not such a bad idea. I actually bought screen protectors for my 4S but then started to think i'd rather not use them. But i'm back to thinking I probably should use it.

3. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Was thinking about it too.. but I have yet to own an iPhone, so I might be missing out if I do haha.

4. Mrs.Geek macrumors newbie

I can't decide if I should use them or not. I did buy a case for it, but I hate putting on the protector and I always mess them up and end up with bubbles. :p

5. 628 macrumors regular

I might do that but the only problem is that this time I don't have a power support crystal screen protector so I am not sure if I want to put one on or not, maybe I will.

6. Jason black macrumors regular

Oh my evo, im not using a screen protector. Just a case. Assuming the iPhone screen is tougher, then it shouldn't need a screen protector.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

I bought the Power Support HD Anti-Glare and Crystal. I can't decide which one I'm going to use.

8. meder87 macrumors regular

I agree that is a possible frustration when putting it on. However, I saw this video on putting on screen protectors and this method looks pretty good. I'm probably gonna try it myself. Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9VAeMnCoBM

9. Mrs.Geek macrumors newbie

10. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Got myself the crystal - don't want any distortion of that beautiful screen :D

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

12. spikefood macrumors regular

Put it on in the bathroom. Turn the shower on to remove the free lint in the air. Done this with every iphone and I never get any bubbles or things stuck under the protector. Often times people are surprised I even have a protector on. Also, the resale value is great, remove the protector and you've got a perfect day 1 phone again.

13. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Never had a protector or case or anything on my 4 and it's still good as new.

4s will get the same treatment

:D

14. aloecool macrumors regular

Planning on doing the same thing!

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

And then when you power it on there's 7 dead pixels and a white spot in the top right corner of the screen :eek:

16. Mattyk182 macrumors member

17. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Don't scare me!!!

Actually never had a dead pixel problem on iOS devices. Hoping I never will!

18. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I hate screen protectors. In over a year with my 4, I have one, 1mm scratch that is only visible if the screen is off and you hold it at an angle. I've never used a protector. I think they make the screen look bad and feel worse.

19. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna get it and put it straight into my new lifeproof case.

20. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

If you have trouble with dust, do it in the bathroom after you've taken a hot shower. The steam helps keep the dust away.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm planning to put my 4S in a case immediately. If my 4S comes before my case does, then I'll try hard not to open it.

Not that I really care about the inevitable scratches. It's just the "EEFFFF THE WORLD, I JUST GOT A NEW IPHONE" feeling.

22. mb2008 macrumors regular

I do this with every phone/camera, it's possible to use the iPhone with the original cling on it (I've done it for months!). But this time, I have my PowerSupport Crystal waiting.

23. savior1974 macrumors regular

I always install my screen protectors immediately after taking off the initial film that comes on the phone.

Here's my usual procedure (Yes I'm OCD)

1. Open iPhone box with box cutter only cutting out the bottom piece so the bottom will slide out with plastic still being on the top.

2. Remove iPhone and power it on, leaving on the plastic film that comes preinstalled

3. Check for screen imperfections (yellow tint, dead pixels, spots, etc)
    (If not perfect, exchange for another iPhone and restart step 1)

4. Gather supplies needed for screen shield install
    - iPhone in Box
    - Invisible tape
    - Scissors
    - Screen Shield
    - Credit Card
    - Screen Cleaner
    - Lint Free Microfiber

4. Prepare the scene (Install will be done in Restroom)
    - Turn on restroom shower on full heat
    - Wipe down counter where the installation will be done
    - Place supplies in arms reach so you won't need unnecessary movement (which could stir up unwanted dust)

5. Once bathroom is nice and steamy, open the iPhone box lid.

6. While leaving the iPhone in the box, pull off plastic screen shield

7. Spray screen cleaner onto lint-free Microfiber towel, and proceed to clean the screen

8. Look at screen from different angles to make sure there are no lint or dust particles (if the screen gets steamy, that's ok)

9. If clean, then pick up screen shield and with the sticky side facing down, pull the cover off about 1/3 of the way. (DO NOT TURN STICKY SIDE UP, OR DUST WILL STICK TO THE SURFACE!)

10. Line up the 1/3 part with the iPhone and place it where it belongs.

11. Once it is lined up, test the fitment by folding down the rest of the screen shield without removing the rest of the cover

12. If line up is perfect, Use the credit card, and push it against the hump created by the rolled up part of the screen shield, this should cause the rest of the screen shield to unroll the cover, and lay itself down.

13. Once this is done, use the credit card to squeegee out any air and water pockets.

14. If you notice any dust or lint under the screen, stick a piece of tape on the screen protector in the nearest corner to the dust, and use it to pull up the screen protector just enough to get to the dust particle.

15. Grab another piece of tape and use that to blot the dust particle and remove it from the phone screen, or screen protector backing. (MAKE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE STICKY SIDE AT ALL WITH YOUR SKIN!!!)

16. Replace the screen shield when done removing dust. (if needed, repeat steps 14-16)

This has helped me get prefect screen protectors on all my electronics