Thinking of buying a Mac...Need Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcduffiejc, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mcduffiejc macrumors newbie

So I am looking into buying my first mac and what a better time now that the new macbook pro has been released. I have looked all over the internet and talked to friends of mine but I would like to have more opinions. Why is it worth the money to buy a mac over a pc? I just need a justifiable answer as to why I should spend the extra money. Thanks!

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You'll get a ton of different answers on why a Mac may be better than a PC.

Just look at the I'm a Mac and you're a PC commercials :)

3. mcduffiejc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I figured I would. The pricing is just so drastic that its hard for me to make a decision.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

GLWT on here. :)

PC's cheaper, perhaps not as well made, but that's debatable nowadays.

Mac's more expensive, but "had" the better OS that was designed specifically for the Mac. With Windows 7, the better OS might also be debatable.

I've had no problems with either a Mac or PC. I got my Mac to program for the Mac and the iPhone. Being able to use Terminal and Unix commands to do just about anything is a real plus for using a Mac, that's for sure, and also how the OS manages programs more discretely is nice (I'm not sure what Win 7 is doing in that respect....i.e., have they got rid of the horrible Registry crap or not).

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't base your decision on the Mac v PC ads. That would not be the wisest choice.

There is no inherent reason to buy a more expensive hardware alone. However, what you really do end up paying if for OS X. Sure you get a nice looking laptop, but you also get the OS. Which is different. Not only that, but you get neat apps like iLife app suite.

Windows is fine now, but it is known to have its quirks and irks.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Any reasons we give will be personal to us. All I can deduce from what you have told us is that you are curious. So, you can take a step into something new, while still being able to run everything you are used to, or stay with the familiar. Why do you want to buy a mac at all, regardless of price? What do you do now on your computer?

7. mcduffiejc thread starter macrumors newbie

Those comments on the OS really helps. I have every kind of answer but the OS one is the one that makes most sense. I can see what you mean and of course apple can control the full aspect of their OS. I will keep reading and listening and make a decision soon.

8. mcduffiejc thread starter macrumors newbie

I am getting more into media projects and design and from my "little" bit of experience with working and viewing macs in the store or viewing tutorials online they are "amazing" when it comes to multimedia projects such as photos, video, audio, web, etc.

9. CraigB3 macrumors member

Mac's work properly, end of.

I find PC's slow and cluttered. I cant use one for more than 20 minutes anymore without getting annoyed. Had my mac for over two years now and i cant recall it ever crashing once, plus is still runs as fast as it did on day 1.

Get a mac, never look back.

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Okay. Macs come with software which would cost a great deal on Windows if you could get them. They also offer an upgrade path all the way to the software professionals use. You will also get the flexibility to run your old software.

The main reason I prefer Macs is the OS. Windows is always in my face demanding that I do this or fix that. Maybe your first Mac should be a less expensive model? Best wishes.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

I like the hardware, which I think is more stylish. I like the general statement it makes - Macs are generally thought to be more "cool", more likely to evoke a reaction (positive or negative) from people who see you using it. As opposed to your average boring old Dell.

The OS, the thing I hated about Windows was the random crashes and general instability. Far more problematic than on Macs, but I confess that Windows 7 is better in that regard. In general, however, the Windows software is still far more buggy than typical Mac software. Windows 7 as an OS crashes far less than previous versions, but individual programs still crash a pretty fair amount. That's very rare on a Mac. As to OS usability, one can learn to use Windows just as well as OSX - I wouldn't really say that the user interface is necessarily superior one vs the other. It so much depends on what you're used to.

I don't have to run virus or malware software on a Mac. I don't have registry vulnerabilities. Those are nice things.

I think what I prefer most about the Mac is that "it just works". I know that's a trite advertising slogan, but it has more than a grain of truth. It's a tightly controlled environment, and that's where that shows. Programs integrate better, external hardware works better - the whole integration of stuff beyond just the computer and OS tends to work better. The result, for me, is that I find myself worrying far less and screwing around with the computer hardware and software components, and am able to focus more on the work I'm trying to accomplish.

12. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

This is it for me. Any work needed to be completed using a Windows PC is generally greeted by a groan and acceptance of a long slog through whatever it is. Where if I'm working on a Mac, I actually seem to enjoy doing the work more, becoming more productive. It may be about perceptions, but they can be important to how you work.

I didn't 'choose' a Mac, those years ago when I got my first home computer, I asked a good friend of mine's father, who ran a music store, to help me set up a home studio. He included a Power Mac G5 in that set up, and it still works more or less as well as it did back when it was the latest model. I used Panther (10.3) for years, right up until last year in fact, and still thought it was better than whatever Windows OS I was having to use through work or college.

Switching will take substantial effort, you'll need to open up to a different way of doing things, embrace the different OS world and applications catalogue. Be patient when you come up against something that frustrates you, finding a Mac version of a Windows program you love for example, but you will find it, a lot more often than not.

Probably sounds like I'm swooning, but truly, I'm no tech head, when I got that G5 I barely knew anything about computers (I didnt know what Safari was and used IE for so long lol, till a friend showed me) but getting to know and settle into the Mac world and way of doing things has actually mean I've loved using a computer, loved working on one, and am now moving forward into web design as a career. I might be wrong, but I strongly believe had I got a PC back then, I might have stayed 'computer ignorant'.

You can laugh now :p