Thinking of buying an iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by XxS4CR3DxX, Sep 18, 2011.

1. XxS4CR3DxX macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Hi all haven't been on here in a while, anyways would like abit of advise me and the wife are thinking of getting an iPad 2 but not to sure about it! So I thought I would come ask you guys! Basically is it worth getting and where is the best place to buy one from as was thinking of getting it from apples web site but not sure on how long it would take to arrive, or the carphone warehouse in store if they stock it in store? Any ways hope you guys can help

2. iJasonTATE macrumors member

iJasonTATE

Whenever I order from Apple, it tends to arrive a day before its estimated delivery. That's just my experience.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You should be able to get it pretty quick from apple now. Stock is quicker now than what it was.

I wouldn't get it from anywhere else to be honest.

I would get it, one of the best buys I ever had. So useful and I save % on my battery for my phone...so great when i'm sitting at home in on the sofa just chilling checking out the internet on my ipad.

and now an option to watch ESPN on skygo on my ipad...PERFECT

4. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

Take a good look at some of the Android tablets out there before you make your decision. :)

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

None of them compare really.

Ipad is the best option.

6. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

The galaxy tab 10.1 outperforms the ipad. That is a fact. Its also powered by android, which makes it a lot more customizablethan the ipad. Another fact. All i said was look at them. If they like the ipad better, fine... But they should still consider all options before dropping half a grand on anything, no? When you buy a computer or a car or a major appliance, you do that, no?

I find that apple fans who say things like what you just said have absolutely no experience with android, you just believe what other fanboys tell you. Its sad, really. Because i considered the ipad. I borrowed a friends for a day to try it out. I just wasnt impressed.

So how about instead of brainwashing people, you tell them what you like about the ipad, and encourage them to find the best tablet for them, not you? Every single person i talk to that wants to buy a tablet, i tell them to check out the ipad.

Are you getting paid by apple, or are you just so insecure you need EVERYONE to validate your purchase by making the same decision?

7. dannn macrumors regular

My friend, with a handle like AndroiDemon, you've got some balls snapping at people on a mac forum :rolleyes:

Although the poster could have elaborated further on his reasoning, I think it's agreed that his statement is true. I think everyone realizes that 'specs' don't carry much weight in the tablet market atm.

8. Skika macrumors 68030

Yeah do that op, you should also go check some of them out. Play around with some.

Then you will without a doubt,... want an iPad ;)

9. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

You'd be surprised how many people choose android. Just sayin.

----------

Someone has to ;-) this place would be boring without people like me around.

And the specs are still the specs. I'm not saying the ipad is a piece of junk, but it certainly doesn't have better hardware than, say, a xoom. That's BS and you know it. I'm here because a lot of people are putting the ipad on too high of a pedastal and it needs to be taken down a notch. Both have pros and cons. We are comparing Honda to toyota. Both are fine, it just boils down to personal preferences. At least with tablets.

10. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Sorry I don't touch android so it will be iPad only

11. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

Hey your loss. I wish you the best. Not just with your tablet, but you know.... With your close mindedness.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Those who want a smaller screen, worse battery life, basically same price and not as good specs...i'm sure those will be happy with their choice then.

Only positive about getting android is flash...hardly worth it IMO.

13. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

Umm you know the galaxy tab 10.1 has a larger screen, better battery life, is lighter, and has a more powerful processor than the ipad, right? Look it up before looking stupid.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Is it really necessary to behave derogatory towards his choice?

15. Skika macrumors 68030

"stop liking what you like so much, you shouldn't like what you like so much!"

March on brave droid knight. Saving the world from loving iPads too much, one forum at a time. Post by post, he reveals the truth. Unblinding fanboys from their stupendrous iPad love.

Thou shouldn't love his iPad too much!

March on brave droid knight...

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you know what's more sad? coming on an APPLE forum to promote Android.

what's funny is it seems like you're insecure with your purchase as you're the one trolling on these forums :roll eyes:

17. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

It's a fair question. Can you afford it? Do you think you need it?

Probably in a few years we'll pass the tipping point and an iPad will be a need for lots of people. Right now it is optional for many, a need for some.

If you travel a lot, if you are in sales or some other job where you work with the public a lot then the iPad is a fantastic tool. It is lightweight, the battery lasts all day, the screen is beautiful and there a ton of applications for it. However, you may find that you are required to use some app or to work with a company formatted document that requires a special app and that may not be on the iPad yet. This is why I say that in a couple years things may change a lot. It is not so much that the iPad will change as that standard practices will change to accommodate iPads.

If money is tight and you already have a laptop then it might be best to wait for a year or two.

If cash is no problem then even around the house the iPad is useful. It's great to get up saturday or sunday morning and read the news in bed, or to have around the den or kitchen table to check email, TV schedules, check stuff on IMDB while watching TV, do other web surfing from anywhere in the house.

18. iDuel, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

What business is it of yours to put other people down because of their personal preference. It's okay to prefer a certain brand, but you don't need to insult people in the process.

19. jsh1120, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Sorry, friend, but as someone with a lot of experience with Android devices and a great deal of respect for the OS, I have to say that you're coming off as some kind of Apple fanboy parody of an Android advocate.

For some users a Samsung Galaxy Tab may be a better choice. It's certainly a better choice for those who want to tinker with their tablet, just as Android phones provide a better environment for such folks than the iPhone. It is demonstrably not a better choice for the vast majority of consumers who are less interested in hardware specs and customizing their user interface than in the vastly greater set of apps available for the iPad.

The Galaxy does have a slightly larger screen. Unfortunately, that advantage in watching films is balanced by the fact that the larger screen only emphasizes that most of the apps available for the Galaxy are designed for a much smaller screen.

The Galaxy is slightly more than 1 ounce (1.25 vs 1.33 lbs) lighter than the iPad. Unfortunately, in the real world that's not much of a difference and is balanced by the fact that the slightly smaller form factor of the iPad makes it easier to hold for those for whom the weight difference is likely to matter.

Whether the Tegra 2 is a "more powerful processor" than the A5 is arguable. Suffice to say that what matters to a user is consistent performance. And on that score, the iPad is significantly superior to Android devices. (That's due in part to the more comprehensive multitasking provided by Android. Apple intentionally limited that capability in order to assure consistent performance and eliminate lag.)

Finally, the claim that the Galaxy has "better battery life" is simply untrue. Since you seem to believe that Democrats are sources of misinformation, perhaps you'll believe the word of the Wall Street Journal.

"...the most notable difference between these two tablets is in battery life: In my test with WiFi on, screen brightness at about 75% and a continuous loop of video playing, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 lasted for just 5 hours and 38 minutes. This is only a bit more than half as long as the iPad 2, which lasted for 10 hours and nine minutes in the same test..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303848104576385633609398422.html

P.S. I realize this response is way off-topic for this thread. And I hesitated to add these comments for that reason. However, since the poster insisted on dragging the thread down this road, it seemed appropriate to respond directly to his comments. I don't have any interest in debating the points above in this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

20. docprego macrumors 65816

I've tried many Android tablets including the Galaxy 2 extensively. I now permanently own an iPad 2.

Some things that I could not look past on Android tablets:

1. The permanent navigation buttons on the bottom waste an incredible amount of screen space. I always felt like I was looking at a very small viewable area as a result. Had they made the buttons auto hide and the apps take up the entire screen this could have easily been a non issue. Alternatively this would be easily solved with a hardware button, but there are NONE besides power and volume on these tablets.

2. The aspect ratio does not seem as well suited to tablet use as does the one used on the iPad. For widescreen movies in landscape mode the Android tablet aspect ratio is fine. But in portrait the screen seems too narrow when viewing web pages and apps. Combined with complaint #1 above it just doesn't feel right.

3. There is still a huge and impossible to understand app gap. There's tons of Android Honeycomb tablets now, where are the apps?

4. Love it or hate it ( I happen to like it), iTunes acts as a central location for users to manage all of the content on their iPad. Android has nothing remotely close. Sure there's a market and separate music and video apps but it all feels very disconnected. I can't believe Google still hasn't addressed this shortcoming in a big way.

In summary the iPad is simply a vastly superior device and ecosystem IMO.

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

It looks like your thread went down the tired old Apple vs. Android road. Let's get it back on track.

(A)
    Two people are thinking about getting one iPad?
    Bad idea.

(B)
    You haven't told us what you want to do with it, so it's tough to say whether it is worth it for you.

(C)
    You can order it from Apple. They will tell you how long it takes. Or, you could go to a box store like Best Buy. Some people prefer them, because they offer more comprehensive extended warranties.

I like the iPad 2. It isn't for everyone, though. Could you give us more information?

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

There is one big glaring problem with the galaxy tab, and it's the same problem all the other Android tablets have: it runs Android. And before you bother accusing me of not trying Android tablets, I have tried them. After using an iPad they're just not any good. They lag on simple things like changing screen orientation, they crash like crazy, and the apps are just not there.

Sorry, if your cause was worthwhile I would not have bothered responding to this. But Android tablets have a lot going against them:

A) Carriers aren't practically giving them away like they do with Android phones, so people are choosing the best tablet instead of the one some Verizon employee is telling them is "just like an iPad but free".

B) Android is an iOS copycat. It's Google's reaction to iOS. If they wanted to attract interest in their tablets, they should have come up with their own idea. (like HP and Microsoft have.). Instead they have a me too OS on a bunch of me too hardware. (Galaxy Tab being the best example.)

C) Chicken/egg syndrome. How many devs want to make apps for android tablets when nobody is buying them?

D) Most people don't care about customization or open source. They care about whether or not they can figure out how to use the hardware and apps. On the iPad, you can forget about having to figure stuff out and just start using it. Android doesn't have that convenience. In my opinion it's a train wreck.

23. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Your argument would be stronger if you didn't confuse the Android OS with Samsung's tablet.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm confusing nothing. Google's OS (Android) is on Samsung's hardware (Galaxy Tab). Together, they make a me too iOS on me too hardware. Both the software and hardware elements are blatant iPad copies. And I'm not just talking about the rectangular screen.

25. jacktorrance macrumors regular

An excellent and considered post.
    Kudos.