Thinking of buying iPhone 7 plus...bad idea?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicholecata94, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Nicholecata94 macrumors member

I am Android at heart, but every fall the lure of the simplicity of iPhone speaks to me.
    I am in the market for a new phone. One that I can keep for at the very least a year, and maybe even two.
    I tried the Galaxy s8 a few weeks ago. Very nice, but I just did not enjoy it. So I likely wouldn't be interested in the Note 8 either.

I have started looking into trying out iPhone. I know it's a lot different than Android but from what I can tell (from friends and from reading here) it does what I need it to do and does it well with few if any hiccups.

I am planning on going to the Apple Store today to pick up an iPhone 7 plus. I value storage capacity more than having the latest and greatest, so I haven't really been considering the iPhone 8. But is this a bad idea? Will the 7 plus still be good 2 years from now? Will I hate it right off the bat because I am an Android girl and can't learn to use iOS?

Apple seems to have a pretty generous return policy so I suppose if I do hate it I will not out anything. Is this still correct?

Thanks for all the info and help. This site is fantastic and I love reading everything here!

2. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Depends on how much storage you want...

iPhone 7 Plus 128gb = $/£769
    iPhone 8 Plus 64gb = $/£799

I would rather get the 8 Plus.

3. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

It will last you several years if you want. My boss still uses an iphone 4. You will find iOS sooooooooo much easier and smoother than Android. No comparison.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The 7+ is a great phone. But given all the facts you've stated, you may as well go straight for the 8+ so that you get the camera with all the latest bells and whistles. You will never want to look at Android again.

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

If money is not an issue, just get the latest which is the 8 series.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

iPhone 7+ is what I'm using now. Great phone. I tend to buy off contract and update every two years.
    It's not for me but have you considered second hand? With the 8 and 8+ out this month should be some good deals around.

7. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the idea. I would rather buy new from Apple direct just in case something goes wrong or if I decide iPhone isn't for me.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Fair enough. I'd never buy second hand but because I'm a bit of a germafobe. I don't want to put anything on my face that's been in places I'd rather not think about! ;)
    iPhone is really easy to use. It will take a bit of getting used to, but I'm sure you'll love it.
    I'm on my 4th. Can't imagine buying another brand.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Look at the 7+ or the 8+...both are very good phones. I'm not sold yet though on the battery life with the ip8...bears watching.

I only wish Apple would bring back the 3.5mm jack.

Yeah, I know...it's not coming back.

10. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

Oh gosh I hadn't even considered the germ aspect. Now for sure I'll need a brand new one! :)

11. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

The 7+ is a viable option and will last for some time. However if the price difference between the 7+ and 8+ is not an issue, go for the 8+.

12. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Depending on your carrier, it might make more sense to get an 8. For example, sprint has better numbers on the 8 right now than the 7 anyway.

I don't have a 7 but I think you should be fine with it. You're obviously not obsessed with having the latest phone and my 6S is still running fine.

13. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

7+ is a fantastic phone and I have no issues with mine. If you can spend it, get the 8+ to enjoy the better camera, improved processing and an ever so slightly new design.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

7+ has that Jet Black color though and the 8 went back to Space Gray

15. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

True. But isn't the jet black really prone to scratching?

16. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

The 7+ is a great phone, plus you can get the better black colors then the 8. Unless you care about wireless charging (stupid to me, used it on android a bunch), then the 7+ should do you just fine.

17. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

I just escaped from the Apple ecosystem BECAUSE of its simplicity and tight control of users. Message me and I will sell you my ip7plus with AppleCare at a great price!

18. Winterfibre macrumors regular

I've just orded the iphone 7 plus, just waiting for it to be delivered.
    I went with the 7 plus over the 8 because that glass back put me right off. Only a matter of time before it gets cracked.

19. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

That's a good point! I hadn't thought of that.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I would go with the 8+ instead, it has better waterproofing, latest CPU and wireless charging and the price difference isn’t that great.

21. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

The price difference is $200.00 between the iPhone 7 plus and iPhone 8 plus. That is a pretty significant difference in my opinion.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Better waterproofing? I think they are exactly the same.
    IMG_3484.PNG
    IMG_3485.PNG

23. avtella, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

avtella macrumors regular

I’d get the 128GB 7+ as the price difference is pretty big, considering the 8+ supposedly has similar battery life and it seems more like an S upgrade overall. I’m pretty sure the 7+ will last a while before it gets outdated. I got a 128 GB Jet Black after I exchanged my 32GB Matte Bkack because they had no 128 GB Matte Black’s left at my local store, and yes it is scratch prone I had minor scratches even in a case as dust particles sometimes get through. Fortunately they gave me a new one for some other issue but it will occur again lol.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Would have made sense. But no it's pretty much the same. When you look at the specs side by side, there are very few compelling reasons to buy the 8 over the 7.