Thinking of Buying Red iPhone 7 and Replacing Screen with Black Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoliS, Mar 21, 2017.

1. LoliS macrumors regular

I would want a black home button too.

That should work right?

I know Apple wouldn't do it, but I am sure I can pay a local shop to do it. I would keep the originals if I needed to get a warranty replacement.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you go to the front page of MacRumors, there is a YouTube unboxing video of the product Red iPhone, and the reviewer talks about how you can replace the front bezel with the black bezel. Or you have the option of using a skin around the bezel. So it's definitely feasible.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-unboxing-video.2038063/page-3#post-24416917

3. LoliS thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I saw that but that doesn't replace the home button and I am not sure he is right anyhow. I think the entire display needs to be replaced.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+7+Display+Assembly+Replacement/67489

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even so, with the cost of the iPhone, parts and labor, not a cheap project for a black bezel. My only advice would be to make sure you find a really reputable third-party retailer that knows what they're doing and stands behind their work.

5. LoliS thread starter macrumors regular

The cost doesn't concern me. What I might do is buy a matte or jet black and swap the displays. The black back and white front may look interesting too.

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Think of the water seal you'll be breaking :/

Otherwise, should work out fine. The Home button would be tricky though if you want to preserve Touch ID.

7. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

I'm very much considering this as well, since I have the Jet Black now I could just swap out the screens. There are two major caveats to doing this though, from my knowledge of taking apart iPhones for years.

- The 7/7+ phones have a sticky seal around the sides of the screen, which previous phones didn't. This is for the waterproofing. Swap the screen and your iPhone will no longer be waterproof. Unless they sell replacement sealing stickers? I'm not sure I'll need to check.

-Touch ID is locked to device-only. Swapping Touch ID home buttons will render the fingerprint sensor useless and can only be reactivated at the Genius Bar. If you want to continue using Touch ID then you'd have to keep the white home button with the black screen, which looks terrible.

8. LoliS thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know but I read that with the proper adhesive, you get that back.

I will have to research this.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    Apple and Apple certified repair shops replace screens all of the time, so it has to be available.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

10. LoliS thread starter macrumors regular

if that is the case, then all you need to do is swap housing.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+7+Teardown/67382

11. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Ok so with a quick search I found a replacement adhesive for the 7+ for only a couple bucks which is great. Just worrying about the Touch ID. I've replaced screens before with the 6+ and once I swapped home buttons they stopped recognizing Touch ID. Pulling up the Touch ID menu to add fingerprints results in an error.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5-LCD-Tou...935205?hash=item465fcc4ca5:g:LZwAAOSwuLZYyzsA
    Yeah, looks like that's the only way to do it. I'd swap out the silver Apple logo on the back too.... Apple really got lazy with this. Making us do too much work! lol

12. LoliS, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

LoliS thread starter macrumors regular

If you buy 2 iPhones, you can swap the housing.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+7+Teardown/67382

Obviously you would be left with a matte black or jet black with a white face, but that may look cool.
    Is that a separate piece?
    Starting on Sunday Target has a $300 gift card for iPhones. So you could buy a black one and get a $300 gift card. If Target stocks the reds, then you could use that $300 gift card as a downpayment and get a red one. You would get another $300 gift card. That is $1050 for the 128GB ones after you figure in the gift cards. Then you could swap the housing.

You would have a red one with black screen and a black one with a white screen.

13. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Yeah I've done housing swaps before on previous phones. My 6+ was a green back with glowing logo lol The logo is just a metal plate you can pop out and swap.

If we are feeling lazy to do surgery on the phone though, the easiest way would be to use a full edge-to-edge black glass screen protector (I'm using one now) and use a Home Button sticker. I haven't tried one but I've seen them on the market, Touch ID should still work through the glass.

It would look like this

[​IMG]

14. LoliS thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I could try that first. But the apple logo on the back would still be silver. I bet there is a sticker somewhere for that.

15. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Yeah... cause knowing I'd have a spare Jet Black 7+ with a white front laying around is kinda of depressing lol

16. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

From an aesthetic standpoint the only downside would be having the Silver Apple logo on the rear...otherwise...keep us posted and show us some pictures if you follow through with it!

17. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Why not apply a sexy metallic red skin to the back of a Black iPhone 7? I have seen it done and looks like the real deal.

18. its Dale macrumors 6502

youre better off buying a black one and having someone swap the back housing. Check out @neucase and @wolfwireless on Instagram. I know its like <$200 for them to provide you a red back and labor

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

OP. Why reinvent the wheel?

Just go to Neucase. They've been reanodizing iPhones since the iPhone 5. Any color of your choice. ~$300 and you get your original casing back for warranty purposes.

neucase 2.jpg neucase red.jpg

20. 576316 macrumors 601

21. Sunny1990, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Swap the logos also they are removable ( you have to remove the battery first) + don't forget to replace black lighting port and black screws

22. foxconn Suspended

Look up everything Apple pros video. He did it better, he transfered over the buttons too.

23. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

The black on red def looks better IMO. I don't know why they went with white. I've seen the videos of swapping it out and they all seem to say that the button has to be swapped also or it won't work at all as they are mated to each front specifically. Good luck tho the black front looks great with the red.