Thinking of getting a MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tvbi, Mar 6, 2008.

1. tvbi macrumors member

the last gen. MB on Amazon is selling for $870 (after 5% off and $75 rebate).. I think I can sell my 12" PB for around high $500 .. is the upgrade worth $280? :(

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

It depends on what you plan on using it for. You didn't post specs of the MB you're looking at? But based on it being latest gen., I'd say it's a nice little speed boost. It would be worth it to me, but I have no idea for you, sorry.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Definitely worth it. I went from a 12" PB to a MacBook. Performance-wise, it's a huge improvement.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Huge performance increase is a plus...
    Larger screen size is a plus...
    Larger form factor could be a minus, depending on how important it is to have the smallest size laptop...

To me the pluses far outweigh the minuses...

5. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Where are you getting 5% off? I see the rebate, but it only brings it to like 920.

6. tvbi thread starter macrumors member

Did the gold box trick (in the slickdeals forum thread) but it's out of stock now anyway :(

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Why not go the Apple Store route?

If it's the $999 MacBook on Amazon that you're talking about, a refurb with the same specs from the Apple Store is only $849

8. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Yes, but that's REFURB. The one on Amazon is new, plus no taxes!

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just to make sure that you understand that situation correctly: When you buy from Amazon, you have to pay tax on it. Amazon will not charge you the tax and send it to your state, but you have to tell the IRS on your next tax return about it and pay your taxes.

Obviously 99% of people will "forget" to do that and 99% of those who forget will not be caught, but you shouldn't assume that Amazon is cheaper - they just give you an easy opportunity for tax evasion.

10. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The 12 inch Powerbook is a beautiful machine. If you are becoming frustrated with your it, then get rid of it. Otherwise, keep it. If it ain't slow, don't dump it.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I went from a 1.33GHz iBook G4 to an original generation MacBook with a 1.83GHz Core Duo. That leap was huge. Going to this MacBook will be even greater.

I paid a LOT more than $280 to change too. I think at $280 it's definitely worth the money.

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Depending on what the OP does with his computer, you may just have changed my mind. Owning both a 2.2GHz black MacBook and a 1.33GHz iBook G4, I can say that the MacBook is way faster, yes. However, when you're messing around on forums or browsing eBay, there's really no difference in speed.

So, if he uses any moderately CPU-intensive applications, then yes, go with the MacBook. :)

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Another benefit with the macbook, you will be able to run Windows on it if you need or want to. So yeah, I would recommend upgrading.

14. skins0304 macrumors newbie

From all of my recent research (about a month or so), there seem to be less problems here and on Apple's forums relating to refurbs, than to new ones. Plus they come will all the accessories, warranty, and look just like new. I'd suggest looking into the refurb.

My 2.2 refurb macbook is absolutely amazing.

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

What he said :p

Honestly, if the last gen MBP 17" had LED displays, I probably would have went with a refurb from the Apple store than the current gen MBP I ordered. The way I see it, they're both last gen MBs, but I'd rather have the peace of mind with Apple than go with Amazon. Besides, and excuse my ignorance since I am Canadian and have no idea about taxes in the States, but how much in taxes would you be paying if you went through Apple? Would it come to more than the $20 difference?

16. Pacer69 macrumors member

FWIW, I've read of people ordering recent vintage MBs off Apple Store refurbs and being surprised to find that they rec'd what looks like a brand NEW machine. Go figure.