Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rated

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
1.) do you buy the movies using an itunes gift card?
2.) All you need is an HDMI calbe and it streams wirelessly with your itunes on your cpu?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
1) You can buy movies using iTunes gift cards or credit card. You can also import your own movies into iTunes as long as they are in the correct format.

2) Basically, yes. Just plug into your TV, connect to your wireless network and set up home sharing and then you're done.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
1.) do you buy the movies using an itunes gift card?
2.) All you need is an HDMI calbe and it streams wirelessly with your itunes on your cpu?

1) If you purchase music and movies through itunes on your desktop, you will set up the Apple TV with the same Itunes store account information. It can be set up to purchase with 1 click, or require a password.

2) You would need an HDMI cable and the power cord - then you're all set.

hitheringwaters

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Disappointment

I am bothered that neither of these people has reminded you that you cannot "buy" a movie using an AppleTV. You can only watch a movie that has been purchased on an iTunes installation in a shared home network.

dekka007

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
I am bothered that neither of these people has reminded you that you cannot "buy" a movie using an AppleTV. You can only watch a movie that has been purchased on an iTunes installation in a shared home network.

or get an ATV1 in which case you can.

rendy0212

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
I don't see why buying a movie on a shared itunes installation is that much of a hassle and disturbs anyone. Your computers hard drive is much easier to upgrade/replace in the future as your library grows. Thus allowing your atv2 to not become outdated in 6 months. Not to mention if you have Netflix, most w/ atv2 do, there is not much of a void in movie selection.

thomapa1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
Just got my ATV2 up and running....
1) Apple TV will play whatever movies/TV shows you have in your iTunes library..therefore they have to be able to be played in iTunes (.MP4, .m4v formats). I had alot of movies in .AVI or other formats - so I had to convert them to .MP4 using Handbrake, then something like Metax to tag them / add cover art / import into iTunes. Really not hard. If you already own the movie, you can also look on a bittorrent site and look for the movie in the .MP4 format - this would save you the effort of converting it yourself.

2) I disagree that 'all you need is an HDMI cable'....depends on your setup. If you are plugging in directly to your TV, then yes, HDMI only (but would only get sound thru your TV speakers). If you would like to go thru your receiver and play sound thru your home theater surround system, then you need an HDMI cable and an Optical Cable. Then you would need to make the proper assignments in your receiver/tv.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
2) I disagree that 'all you need is an HDMI cable'....depends on your setup. If you are plugging in directly to your TV, then yes, HDMI only (but would only get sound thru your TV speakers). If you would like to go thru your receiver and play sound thru your home theater surround system, then you need an HDMI cable and an Optical Cable. Then you would need to make the proper assignments in your receiver/tv.
Just to clarify, you would need an HDMI cable and an optical cable if you have an older non-HDMI receiver. If you have a modern HDMI-capable receiver, you only need an HDMI cable to connect to the receiver, which is presumably already connected via HDMI to the TV.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
The possibilities as regards audio setup are endless and I would guess that the person asking the question has a better idea of how their setup works than we do.

All you need is a HDMI cable to get the thing working. Anything else is an optional extra.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I recently bypassed getting Apple TV in favor of a HiDef, Wireless, 1080p Roku primarily because the Apple TV is limited to 780 resolution. Any speculation on when Apple TV will up itself to 1080?

Is this a valid issue?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
It is certainly a valid issue if 1080 is important to you.

Practically, I think that many people (including myself) are happy with 720. I struggle to see the difference between Blu-Ray and my 720 rips, and the quality improvement is not worth the additional hard disc space and possible streaming issues for me.

Others will have different priorities though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is certainly a valid issue if 1080 is important to you.

Practically, I think that many people (including myself) are happy with 720. I struggle to see the difference between Blu-Ray and my 720 rips, and the quality improvement is not worth the additional hard disc space and possible streaming issues for me.

Others will have different priorities though.

I can see the difference on a 60" screen. When streaming there are no hard drive issues. There maybe a cache, but no real storage and so far streaming from Netflicks has been smooth. Thanks!

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I can see the difference on a 60" screen. When streaming there are no hard drive issues. There maybe a cache, but no real storage and so far streaming from Netflicks has been smooth. Thanks!

By hard drive issues I was talking about where the media is stored, not necessarily on the output device.

If I was converting my media at 1080 I would need to buy another hard disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.