Thinking of going from 6 to Plus...opinions wanted!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Apr 2, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello everybody! So I'm currently typing this from my iPhone 6 which I've had since August of last year. I seriously love this phone, screen size is excellent, really enjoy it, and yeah everything just works great and I'm extremely happy with it.
    That being said, I've been considering lately whether I would like a Plus even more. From the few times I've played around with one in the Apple Store, I surprisingly was able to reach quite a bit one handed. My question is, do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to a Plus from the 6? I'm probably gonna wait till the iPhone 7 comes out before I buy, but just trying to make up my mind on size so I know. Also I should mention that I have an Air 2 so I'm not looking for a tablet replacement, just considering it for the larger screen.
    Has anyone switched to a Plus from the 4.7" and how did you like it? Should I upgrade to the Plus? Id appreciate any opinions.
    Thanks!
    JerTheGeek

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The plus is not for everyone but the only way to know is to go to the Aplle store and check them out. You got two weeks from the time you purchase to make up your mind. Some can adjust to the plus while others can not. I can not imagine giving up on my 6S+

3. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

I went from a 6 to a 6+ late last year. I haven't looked back. I do have small hands so it's hard to one-hand text sometimes but I rarely do that anyways. I mainly switched for the improvement in battery life. But now I am looking into the 6S+ as that has band 12 LTE.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thinking of the 6s plus as well, but most likely will wait for the 7 plus.

5. Hofstede macrumors newbie

Well, if you are using your iPhone for a substantial period of time every day, it's better to get a plus. This will good for your eyes.

6. oneahis macrumors newbie

oneahis

You know what she said.... Size matters

7. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

I currently have both a 6 and 6s plus, and swap between the two, but I find I use the plus 80-90%, so it's definitely my favorite. The screen real estate, battery life, and OIS is worth the slight size inconvenience.

8. the caveman macrumors 6502

Well 6 plus is more than just size inconvenience, it is thicker and heavier. It is like carrying a brick around. I for one, was the biggest Plus cheerleader and after a year with one, still couldn't get used to how unwieldy it is. I have switched to 6s and havent looked back.

9. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

What? The 6+ doesn't weigh much more than the 6... The average consumer won't notice a difference.

10. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Hey,

It is really hard for people to suggest either phone. For instance, I had the 6 plus, 6S plus, 6S, and now the 6. Since I know what its like to use the bigger model on a day to day period for a few months, I can tell you it wasn't for me. So my suggestion would be to get a 6. Would that be fair? Its really based off of my own experiences with both devices. Now, the plus comes with pros which are better battery life, OIS, and better screen (to some extent). The plus just became a bother to carry around and to shove in the pockets all the time. While the screen was brilliant for viewing content, definitely comes at a price.

I would advise going to Apple, picking one up and using it for the 2 weeks and then decide if the plus is for you. That would be the best advice to give you.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

After having the 6+ for 1.5 years, I'd recommend against it. It's incredibly big. It's awkward to put in your pockets and very difficult to use one handed.

12. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for the input. That is what makes me lean towards staying with the 4.7 inch, I think it is the perfect balance.

13. rcckks96 macrumors member

What is most important to you? I switched from 6 to 6s+ for the battery alone. If the 6s had a battery that lasted all day, I would go back. But until then, I'll keep using the +.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have the 6s plus and I absolutely love the size despite all my friends who make fun of me. lol I don't find it unwieldy or awkward to use at all though I did have an adjustment period going from my tiny iPhone 5. The *only* thing is that I have to take it out of my pocket if I bend over to tie my shoelace.

At this point, I would wait for the iPhone 7 since you've already got a working iPhone and we are halfway through the lifecycle of the 6s plus.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Battery and OIS are the main reasons that have kept me with the 6+. But I don't think I can go much longer with it... I need a smaller phone..

16. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

Love my 6s plus, its big , but the compromise is worth it. Great battery life and superior camera.

Its cool chilling in my van at work with netflix playing on the 5.5 inch screen. There is so much video content on the internet now i couldnt imagine having a smaller screen

17. petecee macrumors member

petecee

Everyone has their own opinion on the Plus model. I went from a 6 to a 6s Plus but for me it was an easy decision. A close friend of mine owns a 6 Plus so I got to use it on a regular basis and quickly realised I made a mistake buying the 6. I have quite large hands and have no issues handling the phone or carrying it around. I couldn't imagine using a smaller iPhone in the future. As others have said though, it's not for everyone!

18. ckiggins macrumors 6502

I actually just downgraded today from the 6+ to the 6S. I got tired of not being able to fit the phone in my front pocket among other things.

19. highlystrange macrumors member

highlystrange

I moved from a 6 to a 6S+ and never looked back. My eyes are grateful for the larger screen. Every day I notice the general speed increase and especially the speed of its TouchID. As far as size issues, they've never come up--I can easily fit the 6S+ into the back pocket of my skinny jeans with no problem.

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I wear skinny jeans as well and although the phone technically fits, I was much more comfortable with my iPhone 5.

21. Darrensk8, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I had 6 plus for a year. Went to 6s as soon as that came out.

The plus screen is great and I do miss the ois but it's just too much phone for me...if they shrink the body down I'd definitely take another look but as it is I found it too cumbersome.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It's hard to advise because everyone has different needs and preferences. I have the 6S plus and before that I had the 6 plus and between 2012-2014 I used various Samsung phablets. So as you can probably tell I have a thing for big phones lol

I'm a female with small hands and have no issues using large phones. You get used to it, you adapt and then it becomes second nature. I can't imagine using anything smaller than 5.5 inches now.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The question you need to ask yourself is, is the Plus going to be comfortable to carry around?

I know quite a few people now who have sold them for the smaller version due to the physical size of the device and I know it's the major drawback for me.

24. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Why not a small iPhone 5s/SE and a iPad mini combination?

25. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

To be honest when they announced the 6 plus I was super interested in a big screen with me everywhere but also very worried it was going to be some huge inconvenience that got in the way. But that's not how I felt about it after a day and that's definitely not how I feel about it now. Now it's normal to me. It fits in all my pockets and it's sort of funny now how worried I was about it fitting in pockets. I have always typed two handed. I used both of my thumbs on every iPhone I have owned when texting so I wasn't concerned about one handed use. And to be honest I can use it one-handed for the times that is necessary, especially if you get used to double tapping on the touchID to slide the screen down.

But what it boils down to is simply preference. For what it's worth, I know more people with plus iPhone's than I do with regular ones. My mom and brother both made fun of my "iPad phone" and then a few months later ended up getting the exact same phone as me. With all this being said I do think I could go to the regular size, but honestly my biggest motivation to do so would simply be to save a hundred bucks the next time around. If they were same price/specs/etc. across the board except for screen size I would go with the plus.