Thinking of joining the Marines

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bassproguy07, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

So I just got my grades back for last semester and I didn't do so well so I'm thinking of joining the marine Corp. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

If your serious about the military, think it through. It requires a lot from you, physically and mentally. they will push you to new limits, and test your resolve.

If you choose to go through with it, consider the spring as well. Paris Island is rather cold this time of year. :D

Also, get in to physical shape before going in, in Push ups, sit ups and be able to run a mile in 8 Min. or less.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That right there is key, Marines isn't for dropouts, not that I'm saying you are, but it's not an easy backup plan...

Study harder, that's the best thing you can do.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

6. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

If your grades are the only reason you are considering the Marines, than I would suggest to try studying more. College is not for everyone, but give it your best and see what happens. If the Marines has always interested you, then I say to go for it. It has the possibility to be a great career, College paid for, the economy sucks so this is as stable as you can get. But, remember, you are giving your life over to the Country and going to war is a real possibility.

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide. Just make sure you think about EVERYTHING before going through with it.

All the best!

7. phas3 macrumors 65816

im in the marine corps but im heading out the door right now, ill post here in a little.

- Cpl USMC

8. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Don't let your grades be the sole reason of you joining the Marines. You should WANT to, not feel obliged to because you weren't great at something else. Being a Marine isn't a walk in the park. In fact, it's more like a 20 mile run in the park.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah. With people shooting at you. :eek: Not my cup of tea, though I have enormous respect for the Armed Forces.

Something to keep in mind: America is fighting two wars today. There is a very, very good chance you will get shot at and have to shoot at someone. If that's something you can handle, more power to you.

10. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

+1 on this. I work out with a Marine who's going to the local university in town. His grades impact his service, with anything less than 75% being failure. For the rest of us, that's a mid-level "C". Join the armed forces because that's what you want to do, not because you didn't work hard enough in school.

11. phas3 macrumors 65816

like i said before i'd post on ehre when i get the time. I agree with what everyone says if the reason you want to join is because of your grades, don't do it. But if you've always wanted to be a Marine go for it. It was...WAS my dream to be a Marine unfortuantely I'll almost done with my 4 years and I want out. But it was good I did join the military lots of experiences and i grew up faster than anyone else my age. I've been to Iraq two times already and slated to go to afghanistan in May. It's harsh but you get close to the men on your left and right. If you have any questions feel free to ask me here or pm me.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not expert on the matter, but as others have said, becoming a marine simply because you have poor grades doesn't seem like the best thought out plan of action.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In addition to this very good advice, if your drive is simply that your grades suck you will fall out of the Marines too. The fact is, you can't hide from real life in the Marines. Many think they can and they fail. Many go in running from something and wind up being remarkable men and women. The Marines is a committment to yourself and your country, but don't make the decision lightly. My opinion is the Marines will change you the most mentally and it is usually more difficult to start. If I were ever to go into the service, it would be the Navy hands down.

I think you need to seek advice from qualified professionals at your school. Do you have a counselor? While I understand the need to ask online, this is your life and it should not be left in the hands of a bunch of interwebz strangers.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Ex-Navy guy here, thinks it is the best option if you must join the military. Looking back, it was probably some of the funnest six years of my life.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Whatever your choice of service, go in as a graduate, the better to get your commission.

*coughnavyensigncough*

(I think?? Cannuk here, so not totally sure.)

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I have a cousin that did several tours in Iraq. He wasn't so good in school, kind of floated through life with no direction, got into trouble from time to time - that sort of thing. He first joined up with the Army, did a tour there, but then switched to the Marines. He did one (or maybe two) tours there.

Anyway, it really changed his life. The military gave him discipline and direction that allowed him to get his act together. I'm really proud of him.

I'm not implying you don't have direction or anything, I'm just saying that the military really improved my cousin's life - it forced him to get his crap together.

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

If that is something you really want to do then join up. But if this is just a last ditch backup plan no, don't.

I know some one who join up during the Vietnam war. And to this day he says it was the best thing he could have done. He found out he liked the ocean and got to see parts of the world he would not have otherwise. Got him out of a dead end environment.

But if the reason for joining is because you think it will be easier then collage yu are wrong. they will pretty much make you work harder.

The BEST thing by far is to do BOTH. Continue with collage and graduate with a four year degree and then join the Marines as an officer. The Marines will pay for you schoolling too and send you to train in the off monhts. Look into this option. It really is the best of both and the degree will pay off after yu leave the marines

18. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I've been there.

I flunked out of college my freshman year. It was hard and my parents were disappointed but they still loved me. I flirted with the idea of joining the service. I even talked to a recruiter. I didn't join and it was a good decision for me. I went to community college and got an AA degree. I then went back to a major university for my BS degree. I have a great job that pays very well. I have a wonderful family and I am about to finish my Master's.
    The point is... a lot of people have been where you are. A lot of people have faced the unknown future as you are facing it now. It's normal. Remember this: You are young and it is easier for you to man up now and work hard for what you want then to try to play catch up later. You can do it.

19. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

My best friend just went into the army after failing his first semester. Granted the army is child's play compared to what the marines do, he hates it. He hates taking orders, and can't stand the other degenerates he surrounded himself with.

If your going to go in, be extremely serious about it. Its should not be your backup plan. The armed service (especially the marines) are never a backup plan. You either want to go, or have doubts about going and end up crashing and burning.

Study harder, college should be everything to you right now. If you want to go in get your degree and go in as an officer.

20. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

well all you guys seem to be saying the same thing, and I think I should correct you on it. Joining the marines isnt, and never was a backup plan for me. I wanted to join right out of high school, but couldnt get in due to medical reasons at the time. I am now healthy, and well enough to join up and since I am not doing so well in school(7 credit hours after 3 semesters) I think this is the time to go in. I know the marines is Challenging but I wouldnt want it to be any other way. I filled out all of my paperwork today, 6 hours worth, and take my asvab and physical on monday. Hopefully I will be going off to boot camp at the end of january or the beginning of feb. Wish me luck guys!! I am going to miss my Macrumors family for the three months I am at boot camp!!

21. therealdt macrumors regular

I'm too old for the Marines.:( I've thought about joining the FFl, though.

I say go for it. Just get your endurance up. From what I heard Marines boot camp is the most hardest.

22. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

yes it is the hardest, but its the best. The marines have the longest training program of all the armed forces. I'm way out of shape but I get a gym membership till I go in so I will be working out every day. Im doing the DEP so I get to work with my recruiter to build up my endurance and everything

23. therealdt macrumors regular

If I was 6 years younger I would go for it. I'm at an age the Army would accept, but I like don't want the Army, I'm strongly considering the FFL though.

Yep, you're going to need that gym membership, work on your cardi

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

can you not ROTC it? or do OCS or whatever the USMC equivalent is? I ask as if you want to be an officer, you need a degree. just some food for thought. you can ROTC and get your degree at same time