Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainamerica

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hello,

I'm considering picking up a used iPad1 or iPad2 to read comics digitally at home, and to do some occasional couch surfing.

Even though the iPad1 is a little older and is lacking some features compared to the iPad2, I am still considering it since they both have the same (if not similar) screens. I have no need for the camera because I have an iPhone 4s.

Am I better off going with an iPad1 and save some money, or should I pony up the extra money for an iPad2?

I'm not considering an iPad3 because it's out of my price range. I would rather get an iPhone5 later this year.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Remember that support for the first gen iPad will drop sonner then support for the ipad 2.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
if your primary tasks are reading comics and browsing, i'd save up for a bit longer and get a 3rd Gen.

Comics are insane on the retina display.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
if your primary tasks are reading comics and browsing, i'd save up for a bit longer and get a 3rd Gen.

Comics are insane on the retina display.

^

he speaks the truth.

but if you insist on getting a 1 or 2. Get the 2 for sure. much lighter and thinner. The screen seems more colorful and bright too. Ive never owned a 2, just the 3. So im going off of the times ive used friends.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
I had an iPad 1 and a 2. I dabbled with comics on both devices, but I would be too bothered by how blurry and pixelated the text was. I never bothered with buying a single comic (only free previews).

Now that I have a 3, I've probably already spent north of $200 in only a couple months. Its screen mimics graphic print exceptionally well. It's like Blu-ray vs DVD, except your eyes are only 1-2 feet from the screen. You will notice.

jrbd90

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I agree that the 3 is needed for comics.

With my ipad1 I would have to zoom in to read alot of small text, you really need retina.

I would also recommend Comic Book Lover which is a free app but not free on OSX (for easy organization) but you can transfer comics through itunes too

Imalexsilva

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Toronto
My Brother has the iPad1. He purchased it for comic reading. I think it looks horrible. Everything looks blurry. I on the other hand have the ipad3 which looks amazing for comics. It would be the ideal choice but if you choices are between 1 or 2 I'd say don't bother with ipad1

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd just enjoy the iPhone 5 when it comes out and skip getting an iPad for awhile if you can't budget the current version. Alternatively, you might want to consider a Nexus 7 tablet as a cheap stop gap measure or wait and see if an iPad mini actually sees the light of day.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Reading comics is my primary iPad usage. You NEED iPad 3, really. HD comics (e.g. Comixology) look way too amazing on the retina display-

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I love reading manga on the iPad 3. Looks great. I definitely think it's worth spending a little more on.

Last edited:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah, digital comics are the one of my favorite uses for the iPad 3. It's just amazing..

Rina11

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
I think you should get the ipad2 it's good for reading Books and comics I read all the time on mine ....

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The biggest problem with iPad1 is the lack of main memory; quite often I had trouble spherical with graphical intensive apps.

So at least go for iPad2 or if anyway possible the new iPad ...

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have several comic-reading friends, and while I have never read one on my iPad, I have heard nothing but rave reviews on how they look on the iPad. I agree with the other person who said if you can possibly save a little more money and get the retina display iPad, it would totally be worth it for the comics.

If not, at least get an iPad 2. I'm sure you can find a refurb for cheaper on Apple.com

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
I would also strongly recommend considering an iPad 3 for comics since the HD comics from Comixology look absolutely incredible on retina display.

But since that might not be an option, I would go with iPad 2 over the first iPad, and the biggest reason is because of the weight difference. iPad 2 is significantly lighter and easier to hold for longer periods of time. As far as the display goes, you won't see a difference between the two.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Serious question, are you guys adults who read comics?

there are enough comics around which I would not give to my son ...
Yes, adult, and read comics (but not on the iPad and safe one)

By the way: I love the Simpson's ... Since 20 seasons ...

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Serious question, are you guys adults who read comics?

Well, the people lining up for Batman and Spiderman movies aren't all kids...

If you enjoy Batman movies, why wouldn't you enjoy Batman comics too?

Not to mention all the adult comics out there...

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I just didn't realize adults read them. I don't get it, but whatever you like I guess. I guess they'd look nice on iPad 3, too.

Comics were a lot more popular a decade or-so ago, lots of adults read them for nostalgia, but in the end, anybody could enjoy them, like video games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.