Thinking of picking up an iPad for digital comics... ipad1 or 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by captainamerica, Jul 18, 2012.

1. captainamerica macrumors member

Hello,

I'm considering picking up a used iPad1 or iPad2 to read comics digitally at home, and to do some occasional couch surfing.

Even though the iPad1 is a little older and is lacking some features compared to the iPad2, I am still considering it since they both have the same (if not similar) screens. I have no need for the camera because I have an iPhone 4s.

Am I better off going with an iPad1 and save some money, or should I pony up the extra money for an iPad2?

I'm not considering an iPad3 because it's out of my price range. I would rather get an iPhone5 later this year.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Remember that support for the first gen iPad will drop sonner then support for the ipad 2.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

if your primary tasks are reading comics and browsing, i'd save up for a bit longer and get a 3rd Gen.

Comics are insane on the retina display.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

^

he speaks the truth.

but if you insist on getting a 1 or 2. Get the 2 for sure. much lighter and thinner. The screen seems more colorful and bright too. Ive never owned a 2, just the 3. So im going off of the times ive used friends.

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

this.

if your primary focus is on vibrant comics, the ipad 1 and 2 will really do you an injustice. save and get the ipad 3.

6. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I had an iPad 1 and a 2. I dabbled with comics on both devices, but I would be too bothered by how blurry and pixelated the text was. I never bothered with buying a single comic (only free previews).

Now that I have a 3, I've probably already spent north of $200 in only a couple months. Its screen mimics graphic print exceptionally well. It's like Blu-ray vs DVD, except your eyes are only 1-2 feet from the screen. You will notice.

7. jrbd90 macrumors newbie

I agree that the 3 is needed for comics.

With my ipad1 I would have to zoom in to read alot of small text, you really need retina.

I would also recommend Comic Book Lover which is a free app but not free on OSX (for easy organization) but you can transfer comics through itunes too

8. Imalexsilva macrumors newbie

My Brother has the iPad1. He purchased it for comic reading. I think it looks horrible. Everything looks blurry. I on the other hand have the ipad3 which looks amazing for comics. It would be the ideal choice but if you choices are between 1 or 2 I'd say don't bother with ipad1

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd just enjoy the iPhone 5 when it comes out and skip getting an iPad for awhile if you can't budget the current version. Alternatively, you might want to consider a Nexus 7 tablet as a cheap stop gap measure or wait and see if an iPad mini actually sees the light of day.

10. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Reading comics is my primary iPad usage. You NEED iPad 3, really. HD comics (e.g. Comixology) look way too amazing on the retina display-

11. Rychy, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Rychy macrumors 6502

I love reading manga on the iPad 3. Looks great. I definitely think it's worth spending a little more on.

12. brentsg macrumors 68040

Yeah, digital comics are the one of my favorite uses for the iPad 3. It's just amazing..

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

depends on how long can you keep iPad1? iPad2 can give you 2 more years from now. :apple:

14. Rina11 macrumors member

Rina11

I think you should get the ipad2 it's good for reading Books and comics I read all the time on mine ....

15. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

The biggest problem with iPad1 is the lack of main memory; quite often I had trouble spherical with graphical intensive apps.

So at least go for iPad2 or if anyway possible the new iPad ...

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have several comic-reading friends, and while I have never read one on my iPad, I have heard nothing but rave reviews on how they look on the iPad. I agree with the other person who said if you can possibly save a little more money and get the retina display iPad, it would totally be worth it for the comics.

If not, at least get an iPad 2. I'm sure you can find a refurb for cheaper on Apple.com

17. Errk! macrumors 6502

I would also strongly recommend considering an iPad 3 for comics since the HD comics from Comixology look absolutely incredible on retina display.

But since that might not be an option, I would go with iPad 2 over the first iPad, and the biggest reason is because of the weight difference. iPad 2 is significantly lighter and easier to hold for longer periods of time. As far as the display goes, you won't see a difference between the two.

18. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Serious question, are you guys adults who read comics?

19. Errk! macrumors 6502

34, married with 3 kids. I've been reading comics since I was about 12.

20. ChristianJapan, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

there are enough comics around which I would not give to my son ...
    Yes, adult, and read comics (but not on the iPad and safe one)

By the way: I love the Simpson's ... Since 20 seasons ...

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, the people lining up for Batman and Spiderman movies aren't all kids...

If you enjoy Batman movies, why wouldn't you enjoy Batman comics too?

Not to mention all the adult comics out there...

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If your main tasks are reading related get the iPad 3.

23. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I just didn't realize adults read them. I don't get it, but whatever you like I guess. I guess they'd look nice on iPad 3, too.

24. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

25. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Comics were a lot more popular a decade or-so ago, lots of adults read them for nostalgia, but in the end, anybody could enjoy them, like video games.